Old May 25, 2002, 16:08   #1
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ethnic Workers are Lazy!
Has anyone else noticed in Civ3 that when you capture any Workers that they retain their nationality? For instance, when you activate one of your Workers, it's called a 'Worker', but when one of the Workers that you've captured it's called 'Worker (civname)'.

The only problem with this is that these 'ethnic' Workers seem to be lazy! It takes an 'ethnic' worker twice as long to perform the same action as one of your Workers.

Isn't this expanding stereotypes???!!! Whatever happened to integration and assimilation?

Can't we all just get along??
Old May 25, 2002, 16:29   #2
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 20:18
They will also retain their nationality when you use them to increase the population of a city (press B). I think that as citizens they gradually assimilate over time, but I don't know whether the workers assimilate.
Old May 25, 2002, 16:30   #3
allbad
Settler

I thought this game was a lesson in history, not in political correctness
Old May 25, 2002, 16:30   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
They are slaves and only work with the power of 1/4 (I think it's that) free worker. You don't have to pay any support for them.

For them to turn into your nationallity they need to join a city with strong culture.
Old May 25, 2002, 17:33   #5
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

this may or may not be in the manual. I think it is, and if you are industrious slave labor works twice as hard.
Old May 25, 2002, 17:37   #6
steven8r
Prince

Even if 'slave labor' works twice as hard, they're still only worth half as much.

It's probably better NOT to capture them, or if you do, have them join a city or disband or something.
Old May 25, 2002, 17:40   #7
nato
Prince

I much prefer to capture them. Most of my land is developed by captured workers ... you can get tons of them!

It is on the list of things that makes war pay so well in Civ3.
Old May 25, 2002, 18:14   #8
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Captured workers work at 1/2 the rate of normal workers. They cost nothing to maintain and you can capture hundreds of them. I seldom built more than 20 of my own and sometimes not that many.

If you don't want them you can move them to your capital and you can trade them like cattle.
Old May 25, 2002, 18:36   #9
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I believe that keeping the slaves adversely effects the attitude of the civ they come from though. So if you want to improve your relations you can give them back.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 25, 2002, 19:03   #10
Denday
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:18
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Captured workers work at 1/2 the rate of normal workers. They cost nothing to maintain and you can capture hundreds of them. I seldom built more than 20 of my own and sometimes not that many.

If you don't want them you can move them to your capital and you can trade them like cattle.
That is correct don't throw them away there is no point because they don't cost you anything unless you have mined, roaded and irragated every sqaure
Old May 25, 2002, 20:19   #11
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 17:18
Captured workers work at half the rate of your own workers.

Captured workers don't have maintanence cost.

They affect your relationship with their native Civ. If you keep them the originating civ will think less of you. If you give them back or even sell them back the Civ will think better of you again. There is no downside, except for their speed, in keeping workers from completely destroyed civs.

If you incorportate the captured workers into your cities the AI civ will think better of you. If you disband them they will think less of you. So if I make peace I am now more likely to give captured workers back if I want good relationships even if I captured them from a third civ. If the originating civ is destroyed I keep them.
Old May 25, 2002, 20:42   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nato
I much prefer to capture them. Most of my land is developed by captured workers ... you can get tons of them!

It is on the list of things that makes war pay so well in Civ3.
yes. i build maybe one or two workers on my main continent, and i enlave like 20-40. i dont care how slow they are, i double them up.

they're free dammit!
Old May 25, 2002, 23:05   #13
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 21:18
Re: Ethnic Workers are Lazy!
Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r

The only problem with this is that these 'ethnic' Workers seem to be lazy! It takes an 'ethnic' worker twice as long to perform the same action as one of your Workers.

Isn't this expanding stereotypes???!!! Whatever happened to integration and assimilation?
Actually, they have no incentive to work hard, being forced labor.
Let my people go!
Old May 26, 2002, 02:14   #14
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

then explain why slaves of industrious nations work 2x as hard :P
Old May 26, 2002, 02:20   #15
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

They're just a spoil of war, don't complain cause i love them! i hardly build any workers, i just get a bunch from war and build up my nation with them, which is easy as an industrious nation cause i think that the ethnic workers of an industrious nation work as fast as the regular workers of non-industrious.

The only reason I can guess at for why industrious nations' slaves work harder (odds are there is no reason because the people who made this game realize that its just a game and don't whine about little incoherrencies) is that the "industrious trait represents the know-how and tools that the nation possesses.
Old May 26, 2002, 02:21   #16
Ethelred
King

Because the native industrious workers whip them more industriously considering that the alternative is for the natives to work even harder.
Old May 26, 2002, 02:54   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:18
Nice explanation Ethelred

Free workers are definately good. No matter how many you have, they don't cost you anything, so even if they only work half as fast, you can more than make up for that fact by increasing the number of them you have.
Old May 26, 2002, 05:08   #18
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by allbad
I thought this game was a lesson in history, not in political correctness
You thought wrong.

Check out all those female leaders. France could not even be ruled by a woman under their law, but there is Joan unless you replace her with Napoleon.

Look at that dark-skinned Cleopatra who was of Greek descent.

Check out all the attempts to play down the historical reality of warfare (such as not being able to use roads when invading) and all the emphasis on this non-historical Culture bullbleep. That's why there are relatively so few units compared to what there should have been, and why naval warfare stinks.

PC, thy name is Soren.
Old May 26, 2002, 08:19   #19
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 21:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
then explain why slaves of industrious nations work 2x as hard :P
The Egyptians are considered industrious (2x) because of the organization of the state. The slaves worked half as fast because Pharoah would not provide them straw (not to mention the lack of any real incentive program, no health benefits, no retirement package, no IRA ).

Ex 5:10
And the taskmasters of the people went out, and their officers, and they spake to the people, saying, Thus saith Pharaoh, I will not give you straw.

Ex 5:11
Go ye, get you straw where ye can find it: yet not ought of your work shall be diminished.
Old May 26, 2002, 11:38   #20
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
Has anyone else noticed in Civ3 that when you capture any Workers that they retain their nationality? For instance, when you activate one of your Workers, it's called a 'Worker', but when one of the Workers that you've captured it's called 'Worker (civname)'.

Can't we all just get along??
hi ,

let them join a city , one a city every so often , after a while they get "ID" from your civ , ............

have a nice day
Old May 26, 2002, 15:27   #21
gozpel
Settler

Local Time: 01:18
In the beginning of a game, I never miss to buy or trade in a worker or two if I happen to see it in the trade list. Why the other civs ever would trade their precious workers for a tech or 40 gold is beyond me, but I use them happily to build roads in my little empire. This way my own workers can concentrate on minebuilding and clearing jungles and prepare for new cities. And besides that, it slows down the other civ a bit...very good on harder lvls

Then down the line the foreign workers are good (as someone mentioned) to keep up good relations between that specific civ.
Old May 27, 2002, 15:01   #22
The Eliminator
Warlord

I always play an industrious civ, so 2 slaves = 1 worker. Pair them up, and you're laughing. Late game, I usually add the slaves to my cities, because after replaceable parts and demo, native workers are so fast that the captured ones just become a burden (because of moving 2x as many around).
Old May 27, 2002, 22:53   #23
Ethelred
King

By that time you should have most of your land improved. So set most of the workers on SHIFT-A so they won't change the improverments. Keep some of your native workers on manual so you can fine tune things. Its a lot less time consuming that using them all on manual and the automated units will handle all the pollution just as well as you can manually.

Thats assuming of course that you have patched the game.
Old May 27, 2002, 22:58   #24
The Eliminator
Warlord

That's my prob, I can't stand automation; I like to micromanage the l'il fellers.

Plus I love having "immigrants" in my big cities.
Old May 27, 2002, 23:36   #25
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Eliminator
That's my prob, I can't stand automation; I like to micromanage the l'il fellers.
I totally agree about that in the early and middle game. After I have most of the place railroaded thats when I simply don't need to micromanage them anymore.

Quote:
Plus I love having "immigrants" in my big cities.
Just be carefull about it. I find my big cities get to twenty fast enough on their own most of the time. Foreign citizens increase the chance of culture flipping so its fairly rare that I use foreign workers to increase a cities population. Mostly I only do that when I need to max out a cities production for a wonder as quick as I can.
Old May 28, 2002, 00:26   #26
The Eliminator
Warlord

I usually slap 'em in my core cities, and usually no more than 3 or 4 on an already size 15+ city.

They are great for upping production in high shield cities, and truthfully, who cares if they starve!
Old May 28, 2002, 01:01   #27
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 12:18
Quote:
Originally posted by The Eliminator
I typically have up to 100 workers in a game, and I find micromanaging each and every one of them to be a real chore. I usually automate some and manually move the rest. I also use the "road to" and "rail to" commands a lot, setting the workers there to build transcontinental railways and the like.
Old May 28, 2002, 10:25   #28
Moonsinger
Warlord

No complain from me! I love those lazy workers. Even though they are working twice as slow, but they are free of charge. 200 of your regular workers will cost you 200 golds each turn, but 400 slave workers will cost you nothing and they can acomplish the same task. In fact, after 1 A.D., my empire I have no regular workers. My entire empire is usually building by slave workers. I have over 500 of them in one game.
Old May 28, 2002, 21:09   #29
The Eliminator
Warlord

500 is a bit of overkill, don't you think?
Old May 28, 2002, 22:59   #30
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Re: Re: Ethnic Workers are Lazy!
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger
No complain from me! I love those lazy workers. Even though they are working twice as slow, but they are free of charge. 200 of your regular workers will cost you 200 golds each turn, but 400 slave workers will cost you nothing and they can acomplish the same task. In fact, after 1 A.D., my empire I have no regular workers. My entire empire is usually building by slave workers. I have over 500 of them in one game.
At those numbers there should be a slave revolt! But I guess its to rare a case to have tons of slave labor to have it built into the game.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown