Old May 29, 2002, 07:59   #31
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Eliminator
500 is a bit of overkill, don't you think?
hi ,

nope it aint , .........however that is definatly slowing the game down , .............

have a nice day
Old May 29, 2002, 11:32   #32
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Eliminator
500 is a bit of overkill, don't you think?
No, 500 is not much! I put a stack of about 32 of them on "sleep" near my capital (in reserve for emergency road repair or something) and send the rest of them on the Shift+A mission.

How do I get over 500 workers? Very easy! Everytime I razed a city of size 20+ I got at least 4 workers. Of course, the stupid AI will immediately try to rebuild that city, therefore, you can expect to kill off a couple more settlers for every city that you raze.
Old May 29, 2002, 11:39   #33
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
nope it aint , .........however that is definatly slowing the game down , .............
If you have to manually move those 500 workers, it could take awhile. I recommend using shift+A and forget about them. Oh, I also turn off the "Animate movement of friendly units" and the game is running just as fast. On a huge map at Emperor level, it will take all the AIs less than 30 seconds to move during the modern age.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:40   #34
publius
Settler

Local Time: 01:18
an "abolition" tech would be cool, maybe slaves couldn't join your cities until you researched it, or there could be some cultural benefit. i've always wondered why civ3 doesn't have a slave trade, another victim of pc?
Old May 29, 2002, 15:23   #35
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 21:18
Actually, slaves can be traded, and you can trade away your own workers too! Slaves are quite cheap (like 30 gold), btw, and I buy one almost every chance I get.
Old May 29, 2002, 15:54   #36
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger

If you have to manually move those 500 workers, it could take awhile. I recommend using shift+A and forget about them. Oh, I also turn off the "Animate movement of friendly units" and the game is running just as fast. On a huge map at Emperor level, it will take all the AIs less than 30 seconds to move during the modern age.
hi ,

so you say 500 workers move in less the 30 sec , .......you must mean a piece , ......

even automated , ..........

you got a SAV(e) , .......

have a nice day
Old May 29, 2002, 16:49   #37
The Eliminator
Warlord

I think the most I've ever had was like 112 on a huge map, with ~60 cities. I couldn't imagine 500!
Old May 31, 2002, 08:52   #38
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
you got a SAV(e) ,
Sure do! Some of my games can be found at my home page or at http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3hof/. I already submited two more game (one at Monarch and the other at the Emperor level); since the mod is kind of slow updating that page, you may want to check back within a couple week. The number of workers in any of my game will always increase in my next game. If you check out my Regent game, you will see that I still have over 300 of them left. But I think my Moarch game had a lot more workers than that (at least 400 I think; and my Empire game had over 500). 100% of my workers are slave workers; I have absolutely zero regular workers; what can I say, I'm a slave driver.

Note: If you check out SirPleb 's Deity game, you will see that he got over 1000 units on a huge map - no problem.

PS: I have dual PIII 1Gigs Hz machine with 2 Gigs of RAM; therefore, a huge map is not a problem for me no matter how many units I have.
Old May 31, 2002, 12:31   #39
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 18:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
They are slaves and only work with the power of 1/4 (I think it's that) free worker. You don't have to pay any support for them.

For them to turn into your nationallity they need to join a city with strong culture.
It's half, and if your civ is Industrious, they work at the rate of a normal worker.
Old May 31, 2002, 18:21   #40
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 20:18
Soemtimes I send ethnic workers to the opposite end of my empire, where using them to increase pop will have a diminished effect on flipping (they're far, far away from their homeland).

But I usually just disband them if I have enough domestic workers, despite the possibility that it will anger their home civs. Only yields two shields, but what the hey?!