Old May 16, 2001, 16:04   #1
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 20:02
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Culture Combat
According to GameSpot:

"If a border city of the opposing culture has very few cultural points, theres a strong chance that it will be assimilated into the dominant culture as the game progresses, eliminating the need for a military force to move in and conquer it."

Wow, I didn't realize this is how culture worked. That's pretty innovative.

Can you win by culture alone?

Old May 16, 2001, 18:08   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 02:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Slax on 05-16-2001 04:04 PM
According to GameSpot:
Can you win by culture alone?

Hardly! But I agree - this culture subduing is a nice spin-off effect.
Old May 16, 2001, 18:44   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 03:02
It's just an enhancement of the «The people of Sparta admire the prosperity of...».

Still the culture points system is quite revolutionary. It makes sense. It will make for a great game too
Old May 16, 2001, 22:02   #4
SerapisIV
King

Is this for a a) border city that has few culture points, or a b) border city of a civilization that has few culture points? If (a) then wouldn't building any city in the mid- to late-game near an enemy be difficult? I used to build a city close to my next invasion point during Civ2 so that I could unload transports quicker before attacking.
Old May 16, 2001, 22:10   #5
SerapisIV
King

I was under the impression that culture is a Civ-wide feature, not individual cities, was the preview saying as it is or am I reading into the wording too much? If it was individual cities, as a builder, why build cities in the mid- to end-game at all?
Old May 16, 2001, 22:35   #6
Fiera
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 05-16-2001 10:10 PM
I was under the impression that culture is a Civ-wide feature, not individual cities, was the preview saying as it is or am I reading into the wording too much? If it was individual cities, as a builder, why build cities in the mid- to end-game at all?

In the mid to end game, your culture borders are very likely to form a large square. Just don't build new cities on the borders if you're afraid of your neighboring civ's culture. Instead, build it in the centre of your "culture square", and you'll have nothing to fear.

And if no one around has a greater culture than yours, you can happily expand then. At least that's how I see it. It would be cool.
Old May 16, 2001, 22:50   #7
EthnicCleanser

i sense culture as being somewhat like it was in civ 1 only with real "parameters" and not randomness.....

ie citizens in York admire the prosperity of Boston.... you guyz remember this right ?

There wasn't culture in civ1 but the above statement as infrequent and random as it was did happen from time to time and this seems like an improvement on that system to me

Old May 16, 2001, 22:59   #8
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 13:02
Do you think we might get a diplomatic message like:

"Your culture is infringing on our culture. Please remove your culture from our borders immediately!"
Old May 16, 2001, 23:04   #9
Bereta_Eder
Settler

...No!
Old May 17, 2001, 00:55   #10
Slax
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Russell on 05-16-2001 10:59 PM
Do you think we might get a diplomatic message like:

"Your culture is infringing on our culture. Please remove your culture from our borders immediately!"

That brings up an interesting question: Does the assimilation occur withour warning?

Old May 17, 2001, 07:58   #11
Kurgan
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:02
If a city wants to join your empire due to your awesome culture, it should be optional to accept it or not, maybe you do not want it because it is behind your defensive lines, or you do not want problems with the owner of the revolters.
Old May 17, 2001, 10:11   #12
Cyberbugs
Settler

Imagine you and your allied civ are neighbours. What happends if you have a much higher culture rating than your life-long ally, and therefore consume some of his cities?! I can't imagine him getting very happy after you doing that.
Old May 17, 2001, 10:23   #13
Fiera
Emperor

Probably you won't be able to gain cities by culture from your allies. That would make for a good reason to ally with your more culturally powerful neighbors.
Old May 17, 2001, 11:06   #14
Kurgan
Chieftain

Quote: "Probably you won't be able to gain cities by culture from your allies. That would make for a good reason to ally with your more culturally powerful neighbors."

I agree, but still it should be up to the higher culture to accept or not the city into its Empire.It will sound strange that a "culturally superior" can not deny "membership" of its Empire. Nowadays it would be seen as a "Casus Belli" that a country accepts as part of it a region from other state. USA will not see with good eyes that the People from Oregon decides to leave the USA and join Canada because they admire the Canadian culture, and that Canada accepts them.
Old May 17, 2001, 11:45   #15
MrFun
Emperor

We can look at a real example in the United States in terms of cultural interaction and effects.

In the southwestern states, Mexican immigrants, (legal and illegal) are flowing steadily in from (surprise - Mexico). This area used to belong to Mexico, and now we see that demographics are ignoring the conquests that were made in 1848.

So, even though the United States conquered this area from Mexico, today, we have Mexican immigrants who have almost reclaimed it as part of Mexico today.

Wonder if this phenomenon of culture and demographics will be implemented effectively in Civilization III?

------------------
The Martians are out there somewhere, but where? Let's shoot lasers out into space until they shoot back.
Old May 17, 2001, 14:31   #16
Bereta_Eder
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by MrFun on 05-17-2001 11:45 AM

So, even though the United States conquered this area from Mexico, today, we have Mexican immigrants who have almost reclaimed it as part of Mexico today.

But this is financial might. Will the level of your financial might matter in culture? I doubt it because actually there is no way of counting a civs financial might in Civ. What it does count is the levels of happiness of the people. (that are connected with luxuries that is connected with wealth).

Is happiness going to have anything to do with the culture levels? I doubt it because Firaxis keeps on saying it's the buildings that will create those culture points (of course nothing is 100% sure since the game is not finished).

Old May 17, 2001, 15:47   #17
MrFun
Emperor

I do wish though, that Firaxis would have considered some simple way to represent the immigration aspect of culture.

But it looks like they're doing a great job with the other aspects of culture.

------------------
The Martians are out there somewhere, but where? Let's shoot lasers out into space until they shoot back.
Old May 17, 2001, 16:14   #18
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Yeah, there was a debate about immigration if I remember correctly. No hints that it is included as of yet.

Now that I think about it maybe Happiness of the people DOES enhance culture levels. It makes sense when it is about cities changing sides. (who would want to live somewhere that they play classical music and read heavy philosophy all day long if there was nothing to eat )
Old May 18, 2001, 00:13   #19
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 22:02
It looks like culture eating will be affected by bot specific cities and by civ-level stuff... they do mention that certain improvement improve the culture rating of your city and thus your border...