Old May 25, 2002, 22:16   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 20:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis: Another Trade Tweak
I thought of another trade tweak that could prove very useful, especially in MP.

say you're behind in techs, and you want iron working, but you don't have bronze working.

you should be able to trade for bronze working and iron working in one shot, it would greatly save time in MP, especially if you're playing an allied game and each ally takes a different tech path... etc...

thanks.
Old May 25, 2002, 23:49   #2
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 01:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sounds sound...
Old May 26, 2002, 12:00   #3
WarpStorm
King

This would be a real time saver.
Old May 26, 2002, 12:30   #4
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:19
Good thinking
Old May 26, 2002, 12:43   #5
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

While nice, I don't think this should be anywhere near the top of Firaxis design priorities.
Old May 26, 2002, 20:45   #6
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:19
Here's how I foresee what will happen :
October 2002 : Firaxis releases the XP without this idea included.
November 2002 : this idea stops being a "it would be nice" idea. Instead, its lacking becomes an intolerable flaw in the eyes of whiners. That's the way stacked movement came into light.
December 2002 : the idea is included in the first patch, because this idea is great.
Old May 26, 2002, 21:00   #7
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

So you acknowledge it was the "whiners" who made the stacked movement you enjoy happen?
Old May 26, 2002, 22:25   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper
So you acknowledge it was the "whiners" who made the stacked movement you enjoy happen?
of course. whiners got half of this game added in after release.. and this expansion is merely a large scale answer to whines.

i've been whining about airfields since the release.
Old May 27, 2002, 06:57   #9
moomin
King

Oh, I agree with the notion, just not with the terminology.
Old May 27, 2002, 07:54   #10
Spiffor

Without fan feedback, we probably wouldn't have the "J" key (but I think we'd still have stacked movement in PtW).
Maybe we had to whine to get it, maybe not. I think that whiners have a use, sometimes, on a very limited range. But when Thrawn05 whines about the full editor being released for free, he has no usefulness at all.
Old May 27, 2002, 11:27   #11
moomin
King

Yes, people like that aren't exactly communit assets. But I find the term whiners contraproductive for the overwhelming majority of people who voiced very reasonable complaints about Civ3.
Old May 27, 2002, 11:35   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper
Yes, people like that aren't exactly communit assets. But I find the term whiners contraproductive for the overwhelming majority of people who voiced very reasonable complaints about Civ3.
i really dont mind. it would be great to see somewhere in the game "Thanks to all the Whiners of Apolyton".

Old May 27, 2002, 14:02   #13
Spiffor

I call a "useful whiner" someone who's harassing permanently Firaxians on an issue, and puts some "Firaxis sucks " here and there.
By "whiner", in the case of stacked movement, I think esp. about Libertarian, who was a true whiner, no matter how you look at it. Yet, I think his lobbying made Firaxis understand they had to implement stacked movement. Other people who complained without saying "DAMN YOU FIRAXIS ! " were not whiners and gave much more weight to the voice of Libertarian.
Well, that's how I see it, maybe Firaxis wanted to implement stacked movement from the beginning.
Some things don't create significant whining, such as the lack of unit trading. And we don't have it.
In the same way, I think we won't have this anytime soon if there aren't any whiners, but I trust the Apolytoners

Last edited by Spiffor; May 27, 2002 at 14:09.