Old May 26, 2002, 04:03   #1
Alanus
Warlord

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Localized versions : releases, patches, issues…
Purpose of this thread :

Collect and share information and news regarding localized versions of Civ3 (i.e. non English ones), whatever language is used.

Strategy and games issues should not be dealt with here as they are the same whatever language is used, unless Infogrames has made tweaks in localized versions’ parameters.

Localized versions have been shipped many months after the original English one and there are specific technical issues that prevent (sometimes) to use original English material, which would be nice to list here to avoid disappointment.

Also we can expect that release dates of localized patches and expansion packs are more or less in sync in a given region (e.g. Europe) and sharing information from various national sites could be of help.

I don’t know how many localized versions exist or are planned, so it might be the right thread to answer this question as well.

Thanks for your participation.
Old May 26, 2002, 04:08   #2
Alanus
Warlord

French version
So I start the discussion by what I know.

The French version has been released in stores on April 12, 2002. It is available out of the box in version v1.16f (with editor in version 1.11).

The contents of the box is rather poor : only a manual (in French), but no reference poster of sheets as in previous games of the civ-family. To get that, you add to put 10 more € to get a limited edition that contained useless things like pictures, T-shirt, etc.
I’m currently preparing a French version of the Civdata file prepared by Julian Egelstaff, so it should compensate (for free ) this mishap.

(English) Patch 1.21f cannot be used because of an incompatibility with the .exe file (CD protection). Infogrames France answered me that there are planning to release a French patch 1.21f in June (2002 I hope).
See on Infogrames France forum
Old May 26, 2002, 04:17   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Many people I know in Germany, are waiting for localized patches. The localized Civ3 came out in the 2nd half of February as version 1.16f. Patch 1.17f was skipped, even though Infogreed lied to it's customers, that they are localizing. they apologized later for this, and said that they will localize the 1.21f patch till mid of May. All European localizations are made in the Infogrames central in France.

Around the 12th or 13th May, Infogrames published a short note on their German website, that the localization of the 1.21f is delayed and a new release not in sight:

Quote:
Soeben erreichte uns die Nachricht, das Kompatitibiltätsprobleme mit der europäischen Version des Updates 1.21f aufgetreten sind. Wir hoffen, den ursprünglich angekündigten Releasetermin (15.05.2002) für die deutsche Version halten zu können, müssen aber eventuell auch mit einer Verzögerung rechnen, sollten sich die Probleme gravierend auf das Gameplay auswirken.
Quote:
Wie vor zwei Tagen schon bekannt gegeben, gab es technische Probleme mit den europäischen Versionen von Civilization3 und dem Update Version 1.21f Das QA arbeitet zur Zeit fieberhaft daran, die Probleme zu beheben. Ein genaues Datum für die Veröffentlichung ist noch nicht bekannt.
To avoid a flood of protest from the German gamers (as took place when the 1.17f patch was skipped), they closed their forum. It's already closed now for 2 weeks, for "service purposes". Nice way to deal with customers, Infogreed !
Old May 26, 2002, 08:13   #4
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 01:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

To avoid a flood of protest from the German gamers (as took place when the 1.17f patch was skipped), they closed their forum. It's already closed now for 2 weeks, for "service purposes". Nice way to deal with customers, Infogreed !

Maybe you hurt their feelings...:P:
Old May 26, 2002, 11:17   #5
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Never buy a "localized" version.

even more when french are doing the translation for german.
Old May 26, 2002, 11:29   #6
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, here in Brazil we were not graced with a Portuguese version, despite the fact that Civ2 was released in Portuguese some years ago. Different companies, different treatment.

But this has some advantages to it: we can download and apply the latest patch without a single problem.

There is a dedicated team of brazilian civ fans translating Civ3 into Portuguese. They contacted Infogrames who said that it was OK, since they would not release a localized version anyway.

Hey, I ended all paragraphs with a smilie.
Old May 26, 2002, 12:59   #7
CapTVK
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm

There is a dedicated team of brazilian civ fans translating Civ3 into Portuguese. They contacted Infogrames who said that it was OK, since they would not release a localized version anyway.

Hey, I ended all paragraphs with a smilie.

Huh!The german translating efforts gets hit with C&D orders plus a fine and a Portugese translation efforts gets the thumbs up!?

What's going on here!?
Old May 26, 2002, 13:14   #8
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

One hand not knowing what the other does, probably.
Old May 26, 2002, 14:07   #9
Alanus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Atahualpa
Never buy a "localized" version.

even more when french are doing the translation for german.
I don't know what you mean : is the German version poorly adapted ?

The French version of Civ3 is quite decently transposed.

It was not the case with the French version of Civ2, that has probably been prepared by a non-French person. I had to fix a quite important number of basic words that were really mistranslated to the point that elementary mistakes were made in commonly used expressions. I contacted Microprose in the UK at the time, giving them the list of things that were wrong and the right solution, but they never replied...
Old May 26, 2002, 15:41   #10
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK

Huh!The german translating efforts gets hit with C&D orders plus a fine and a Portugese translation efforts gets the thumbs up!?

What's going on here!?
Infogrames was working on a German version when the translators contacted them. Infogrames did not want to lose money.

On the other hand, they never had plans for a Portuguese version, so they did not bother.
Old May 26, 2002, 15:58   #11
CapTVK
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm

Infogrames was working on a German version when the translators contacted them. Infogrames did not want to lose money.

On the other hand, they never had plans for a Portuguese version, so they did not bother.

And it would still be just as illegal at the German translation effort was. You're still breaking IP law by creating a derivative work. Whatever "agreement" was made they can change their minds in the blink of an eye and still slam you.

Note that I'm not defending Infogrames here, what they did with the German fan effort was disgraceful, overreacting, a slap in the face of civ community (which they seem to treasure so much ) and simply counter productive. For me that was the last straw...
Old May 26, 2002, 16:11   #12
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK

And it would still be just as illegal at the German translation effort was. You're still breaking IP law by creating a derivative work. Whatever "agreement" was made they can change their minds in the blink of an eye and still slam you.

Note that I'm not defending Infogrames here, what they did with the German fan effort was disgraceful, overreacting, a slap in the face of civ community (which they seem to treasure so much ) and simply counter productive. For me that was the last straw...
I have to agree with you. If they wanted, they could change their minds, but here is why I don't think it will happen:

1) There is a limited market for civ games in Brazil. Two main reasons: games are far too expensive here and the strategy genre is, in itself, a niche market around here.

2) I dare to say that many of those who play Civ3 in Brazil either downloaded the game or bought pirated copies, because the games are too expensive, giving an incentive to piracy. Why would Infogrames spend their cherished money to translate a game that would be mostly pirated?

On a side note, I bought my copy.
Old June 9, 2002, 16:11   #13
Alanus
Warlord

French patch 1.21f posted !
The localized French patch 1.21f has been posted by Infogrames France on their web site on June 7.

Many reports problems on French forums. It works on my side on 2 differents configurations let's cross fingers.