View Poll Results: If you were on board the Unity, which faction would you join?
Spartans 9 10.34%
Morganites 13 14.94%
Gaians 16 18.39%
University 18 20.69%
Believers 4 4.60%
Peacekeepers 21 24.14%
Hive 6 6.90%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26, 2002, 08:08   #1
Phil_de_geezer
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who would you join?
If you were on board the Unity, which faction would you join? Peresonally, I think I would join the University although I'd have to try to scale down their unethical approach to science!
Old May 26, 2002, 08:25   #2
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 14:21
There was a thread like this a while back...
Anyway, for me it's a tossup between Morgan and Spartan, weird eh? Seeing they are oppisites.
Well, I enjoy a "spartan" lifestyle, but would be equally happy with the luxuries of Morgan

Guess what I'm saying is I'm flexible, I wouldn't care which faction I went with, as long as it wasn't the Believers, Hive or Peacekeepers (I don't think I could stand an eternity of Brother Lal leading...).

So yeah,
Morgan Good: Pratical, wants to build something on Chiron
Spartan Good: Waste not, want not
Gaian Okay: Well, atleast the food would be good. And the nikked aspect.
University Okayish: I don't like the uneithical aspect
PK Bad: Lal big *****. PK's get ass kicked for Lal being *****. Don't want to be a kickee.
Hive Baaad: Dont wanna be a drone in the Hive.
Believers Evillll: Well, maybe not evil. But the believer ideology is opposed to mine.

Last edited by Blake; May 26, 2002 at 20:37.
Old May 26, 2002, 09:43   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:21
University - unfettered research sounds like an absolute dream come true! I could be a mad scientist.... in a NATION of mad scientists... we might even have our own union.

Peacekeepers would be OK too - for some reason being a part of a massive bureaucracy appeals. Dunno why, maybe it won't once I get there.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 26, 2002, 09:47   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:21
Try this, Blake.

*****. - Creative use of italics.

And the Consciousness might be good - but I'd only join them in order to convince Aki to start a procreation campaign on the grounds of evolution research. Of course, I would do this by getting her to test the process out on me for herself first...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 26, 2002, 10:52   #5
Clear Skies
Prince

First vote for the Gaians - although if the SMAX factions were included I'd've picked either the Consciousness or the Data Angels.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old May 26, 2002, 13:54   #6
Phil_de_geezer
Chieftain

Yeah, I would have included the SMAX factions but i'm not too sure how they fit in with the story - doesn't Cha Dawn and the others only show up after the landing? ... like splinter factions or 'mysterious cults'?

And I thought something like this would have been done before but i couldn't find a poll on it - just wanted to know who would be chosen.

I wonder if anyone will vote for the Believers ...

Quote:
Her eyes widened with the glory of it, of God watching and guiding her, giving her the tools she needed on the new world. She opened the airlock and prepared to walk the outer surface of the ship, through the twisted landscape, not fearing death. Ready to be embraced by her people.
'Embraced' - not likely. More like 'shredder pistoled'. heh heh heh

It would certainly save a lot of trouble later!
Old May 26, 2002, 14:07   #7
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 18:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I would join the Peacekeepers. Democratic ideals, humanist principles, high emphasis on human rights, intellectual elite. In Micheal Ely's books Lal was sort of the unofficial "hero" of Planet, really the only hope for humanity.

That's assuming I'd couldn't join the Morganites and defect with Sinder Roze and crew.
Old May 26, 2002, 20:01   #8
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 11:21
Morgan, of course. Capitalism is the most successful ideology of the 20th century and will probably remain so.

I think the Spartans are cool, but I don't think I'd be very good with guns. I also like the Believers, but a couple of reasons why I wouldn't fit in to that society quickly come to mind.

The Cybernetic Consciousness is also interesting, but they're always portrayed in the stereotypical cyborg way, where the mechanical side dominates. I've thought this interpretation over and I don't agree with it. They're still basically human, after all.
Old May 26, 2002, 20:49   #9
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 20:21
I would be a drone by nature.
Old May 26, 2002, 21:14   #10
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Definitely the Gaians, with whom I’m philosophically aligned due to their environmental bend and focus on democratic ideals. Next to Yang, Dee’s quotes in Datalinks are the most thoughtful (Yang’s are thoughtful and deep in a dark and frightening way) and I am drawn to that level of thinking. In many ways SMAC is a story of transcendence, and leaving our frail human nature behind to become something bigger that we are – growing up (as in Clark’s Childhood’s End). To me Dee represents that, and an awareness and openness of what is greater than us and what we can become. Sadly, to me the other factions look backward to what we were (Believers’ religion, Spartans’ martial spirit, PK’s political dogma) and what we are (Morgan’s self centered capitalism and Yang’s twisted megalomania). Even Zak has a huge blind spot in this light with his focus on progress without thought to the endpoint – technology for technology’s sake.

Plus, I’d frolic naked in a forest of white pines with Dee any day! I suspect she would be, shall we say, ‘high maintenance’, though – but it would be worth it!

Hydro
Old May 27, 2002, 00:39   #11
Jethro83
Prince

Coin toss between the Gaians and Spartans. You can't forget that early on, those mind worms are brutal. Disciplined Spartan troops stand a better chance in battle against these monsters, and the planetary harmony that the Gaians possess mean that they're likely to be captured than to be killing innocent people. This would make survival in the earlier years more likely.

Ideologically speaking, I once again choose the Gaians and Spartans.
Old May 27, 2002, 01:32   #12
waab
Prince

Local Time: 03:21
What I want to join.

First: Hive, collektiv before everything, and that says alot about me

Second: Gaians, I am an eco freek so...

Thired: Uni, I mean science is necesery

If I had no other way:

First: Peacek, but I don't like Lai.

Second: Spartan, but I don't like military power.

NO WAY

First: Belivers, ehh sorry God but I don't belive in you.

Second: Morgan, capitalism will soner or later die any way, it is destroying itself: Capiltalism needs new markets al the time, and it isn't possible. In the long run capitalism vill become almost as planned economy with big compinies owning everything.

If the Smax factions was a part of the poll, I would join the Drones.
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old May 27, 2002, 07:40   #13
Jethro83
Prince

In terms of the SMAX factions, I'd see the Drones as my first choice of faction to join. The Data Angels would be my second preference, with the Pirates in at third.

I'd never join the Cyborgs or the Cult.
Old May 27, 2002, 16:54   #14
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:21
I've been a Peacekeeper since even before they had the name.
Old May 27, 2002, 18:55   #15
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:21
Peacekeepers. They have the most "humane" ideology. Plus, they were the first faction I played with when I got SMAC. Even when I play with someone else, I have a deep respect for Lal and avoid conflict with him at all costs. Unless he attacks me first, of course.
Old May 28, 2002, 04:00   #16
Clear Skies
Prince

...which he does all too often
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old May 28, 2002, 17:11   #17
Vanceone
Settler

Local Time: 18:21
Personally, I would go with Lal. He's the only one were you would have a personal choice as to which ideology to follow--i.e., in the Hive, forget about making a buck. I thought about Miriam, believe it or not, as religion is kind of important to many people. The biggest problem with Miriam is that she is a fanatic who would force hers on you and allow no other options, like Buddist, etc. to exist. Morgan would likely allow some individual freedoms as well, so he would be my second choice. SMAX factions, if I were forced to choice, would have to go with the Data Angels.
Old May 28, 2002, 22:09   #18
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:21
Quote:
Originally posted by waab
What I want to join.

First: Hive, collektiv before everything, and that says alot about me

Second: Gaians, I am an eco freek so...

Thired: Uni, I mean science is necesery
Wow, this parallels my thinking a little too closely!
Same thing here,

1. Hive-I'm a collectivist thinker. Parents taught me duty for others first. Also, with just the bare necessities of life, I think my life would be more clear.

2. Gaians- They like nature, I like clean ocean's to surf in!

3. University-Scientific progress is fundamental to achieve humanity's ultimate potential.

Ooooh, that last reason should be a quote in SMAC, right?

Just check my signature to see Chairman Yang's thinking.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Last edited by Frankychan; May 29, 2002 at 02:03.
Old May 29, 2002, 01:26   #19
waab
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan

Wow, this parallels my thinking a little too closely!
Same thing here,
It is fun to know that I have friends out there...the only problem with joining Yang is that after some years we would rule Planet...
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old May 29, 2002, 02:01   #20
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

[double post deleted]
Old May 29, 2002, 02:05   #21
Frankychan
King

Rofl, true that! With an enormous pop boom and with everyone thinking cooperatively, I don't think there wouldn't be anything the Human Hive would not be able to accomplish.
Old May 29, 2002, 03:35   #22
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:21
I would join the Morganites - I can't see a downside to all those comforts!

Second choice would be the University, as others have said, scientieic progress is neccessary to achieve humanities full potential.

SMACX faction chioce would be the cybernetic counciousness because I agree that machines can be far closer to perfection than any man.
Old May 30, 2002, 01:40   #23
waab
Prince

Just wanted to send the thread to the top...

Hive has only 10% what is happening...
Old May 30, 2002, 05:57   #24
Clear Skies
Prince

um....they're evil gits whom everyone likes to wipe out the second they come across them?
Old May 30, 2002, 06:40   #25
Phil_de_geezer
Chieftain

I think Yang gets a bad press. His 'communal utopia' is always portrayed as a brutal, oppressive regime. It may well be like that but it doesn't have to be - Yang seems like a nice guy to me and that wonder movie sends shivers down my spine because its so deep and moving ("learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone").

I think i might join the Hive simply because Yang is so cool!
Old May 30, 2002, 07:23   #26
Jethro83
Prince

Poor, misunderstood Yang. But how do you explain his militaristic attitude?

I swear, even when I'm running a police state he is still being an a$$hole.

Of course, I'd learn to accept a humble life free from material distractions (especially those that the Morganites seem content to drown in), and I do see a joy in everyone working towards a collective goal. So I wouldn't mind being part of the Hive that much (so long as I get time to be creative, which is probably allowed. Yang can't possibly be THAT oppressive) While the Morganite and Peacekeeper ideologies may offer what appears to be freedom, and a say in the politics of their factions, they can't possibly free the mind from the delusions of material 'happiness'. Yang's philosophy seems to free your mind from those impermanent things that really shouldn't be held so dearly.

Yang probably gives his subjects food, shelter, work, and regular free time. That's pretty much all a person really needs in life. He gets his bad press from the way he treats people outside the bounds of his faction, and from the extent of which he despises democracy. Pretty much two of the same reasons Miriam is so hated. BTW, I'm not in any way saying that Miriam is a good person though. She and Yang are at odds concerning their conflicting views as much as anyone else is at odds with her.
Old May 30, 2002, 08:09   #27
Archaic
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 MorganACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I'd have to go with the University. The "Unethical research" and complete scorn of any religion whatsoever just appeals to me given my strong and unusual political, ethical and religious beliefs and tastes.
Old May 30, 2002, 18:24   #28
Frankychan
King

Thumbs up to both Phil_de_geezer and LordAzreal!

We need more Yang votes!
Old May 30, 2002, 20:34   #29
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 14:21
The spartans have overtaken the Hive.
The peacekeepers are in the lead. (damn peaceniks)
And a poor misguided fool is yet to pick Miriam.

I figure the problem with the Hive is, if another faction does take exception (or several other factions, aint denying the power of the collective) then the hiverians are pretty much screwed.
Being in a faction like the Spartans would atleast leave you equiped to survive pretty much anything. (Flexibility IS important, a collective may be great, but you if the collective falls it brings you down with it. And there is no-where to run when your trapped by enemy forces in the underground warrens of the hive)
I guess independence is just important to me.
Old May 31, 2002, 08:40   #30
Jethro83
Prince

I agree with Spartan, Hive, Gaian and (to some extent) University agendas, and like to combine the four.

I believe that each individual needs be strong both physically and mentally (though spiritual strength also helps somewhat). That way, they have so much more to contribute to a society of any sort. The Spartans seem to have high regard for strength, as they do scorn the decadent and weak. In having physical strength, their survival probability, and ability to protect the interests of society are much greater, as well as their ability to work. Their mental strength should pretty much make them all the more resistant to temptations that would otherwise corrupt them.

While it is up to the individual to be strong, they are also part of the society as a whole. And I also believe that the perfect society is a collective. Everyone seeing a joy in working towards a collective goal, with the wants of the individual subordinate to the needs of society as a whole.

Care must also be taken to preserve the environment, and to minimize the damage done. For society to thrive properly, and more permanently, there must be an equilibrium, a balance between preserving the environment, and preserving society.

Also, intellectual, and creative gifts must not be wasted. Pursuit in the arts and sciences are also paramount. Developing brilliant, clever minds is also necessary for society to thrive and advance. The University seems to hold the development of intelligent minds in this sort of high regard. I do however, disagree with unethical practices in achieving these ends.