Old May 27, 2002, 07:33   #1
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 14:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
FreeAC progress - Gameplay Design Document
First, a description of what FreeAC will be. FreeAC (Free SMAC) was started here on the apolyton forums. Our goal is to create a freeware sci-fi TBS game inspired by SMAC. Our goal is not to produce a SMAC clone, rather FreeAC will borrow from the best aspects of many great (and not so great) TBS games, including SMACX, Civ2, Civ3, CTP2 and non-Civ TBS games, including MOO2 and Stars!. Also any game which is still in development is fair game for idea poaching (MOO3, Stars!SNG, Clash...). Ofcourse we have a few of our own ideas too

We now have a gameplay design document, this document covers somewhat broad gameplay aspects, rather than specific details. For example it describes how units will be designed but doesn't list the specific chassis in the game.
It should be considered an alpha version, it doesn't cover everything discussed, in particular stuff related mainly to coding will be put in a seperate technical (aka boring) design doc, and also there is some stuff which probably should be in there but I havn't got around to (like a description of the simultaneous movement and turn execution system which will be used...)

Link to design document webpage.

And relevant thread in the FreeAC project forums:

Feedback, positive, negative or otherwise would be appreciated. This thread is as good a place as any for it or you can post in the FreeAC forums.

We dont have any sort of playable (or otherwise) software yet. There is no corporate dragon breathing down our necks to get FreeAC launched by a deadline, and I figure the longer spent on design the cleaner and better the final design will be. This translates roughly to less time actually spent coding, and a better final product. And really a few months isn't long by gaming-standards to spend on design.
Netherless, we have almost hit the wall when it comes to what can be designed in forums, and I have a "code framework" sketched out on paper so coding probably will start soon. (Actually in about a month - at which stage I'll go hunting for more coders)

In brief, FreeAC will be coded primarly in C++ using object orientated techniques. The vast majority of game data (like facilities) will be defined in text files, or using a scripting langauge of some description - I'm looking into the possibility of using Python or something simialler.

Multimedia - Graphics, Sound, Input will be done using a cross-platform library, most likely SDL (the very library Loki used to port SMACX to Linux). FreeAC will initially run on Windows and Linux (both of which I use), but it should run on any platform supported by SDL (that includes MacOS and many *ix varients....).
Old June 24, 2002, 19:21   #2
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame

Hmmm, it appears the domain www.freeac.org isn't working at the moment... you can still get to the forums by this link:
http://www.blind-mind.com/freeac/forums/
Old July 11, 2002, 16:46   #3
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Local Time: 17:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Good luck!
and thank you for developing a free program.
-J.B.-

Last edited by Jeremy Buloch; July 12, 2002 at 20:56.
Old July 25, 2002, 18:37   #4
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 01:23
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Im registered in the FreeAC forum, but it wont let me post anything, what can I do ?

I wanted to suggest a MoM-like storyline, meaning there could be plaves such as dungeons in MoM where u fight to get some new technologies, special troops etc... It wouldnt make a singleplayer game far funnier
Old July 26, 2002, 20:16   #5
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Did you get the activation ID in the e-mail cause the same thing happened to me and I Had to re-register.
-J.B.-

Good luck.
Old July 26, 2002, 21:21   #6
Blake
lifer

If your having problems it's possibly bad cookies, try deleting all cookies for www.freeac.org and freeac.org.

If you didn't get your activation e-mail, or it refuses to activate, try clicking "I forgot my password" and with any luck it'll re-send the activation e-mail.
Old July 27, 2002, 15:23   #7
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

If you have your e-mail account set too exclusive in the Junk mail filter then you will never get the activation e-mail. Thats what happened to me.
-J.B.-
Old July 29, 2002, 07:01   #8
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 01:23
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Forget ir guys, i just wont help/discuss on FreeAC, im too upset abou tthat
Old July 29, 2002, 15:00   #9
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Oh no! Come on we need the most help we can get especially if your a coder. PLEASE Join!
-J.B.-
Old August 6, 2002, 23:57   #10
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
One of the mods could close this thread as it's now more like off-topic, and there will be a new thread soon. Not to mention the actual game design documentation.

Mods, please close this thread!

Rasbey, FACDT Project Manager
Old August 7, 2002, 00:10   #11
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 20:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Mods, please close this thread!
Rasbey, FACDT Project Manager
Sounds good enough to me
Old August 7, 2002, 06:15   #12
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
Would you like to have a mouthy title? Here's one: The FreeAC Development Team's Honourary Guardian Protector.