Old November 5, 2000, 16:51   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Communism better than republic
I mean with communism the corruption levels are lower right?

And what the hell is republic doing? It doesn't add one arrow as it used to in CIV 1 and it doesn't fail to cause unhappiness when units are out.

DO I miss something because republic only seems good when you don't have a better choice....
Old November 5, 2000, 17:45   #2
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Republic, like democracy, does add an extra trade arrow to any square already producing at least one arrow. It also has the same WLTCD growth boom as democracy. Its major advantages over democracy are earlier availability and less unhappiness caused by units in the field.
Old November 5, 2000, 17:59   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:46
Both Governments serve their seperate purpose. Republic and it's WLYD's pop growth is big!
I like to use Communism as I'm setting up to switch to republic or democracy. And I also like it better for war than fundy. You just have to love those Vet Spies!
Old November 5, 2000, 18:23   #4
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

I tried it seriously for the first time the other day. It has much to offer.

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Troll & Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old November 5, 2000, 19:05   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:46
If you can get your Commie cities celebrating "we love" then you are really laughing.A corruption free Republic with no military unhappy problems results.Often the luxuries are well worth it.Very good for a Commie SSC.
Old November 5, 2000, 20:34   #6
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

Local Time: 22:46
if communism came around the same time as republic, then yes, da smokes would go for it. republic comes earlier and is a good alternative to manarchy if your in peace time. communism is better than republic, tes, but when communism comes, you have fundamentalism (the best wartime gov) and democracy (the best peacetime government) if you end up in a war before you have fundamentalism, then go with communism, otherwise, da smokes thinks its not all that great.
Old November 5, 2000, 23:02   #7
Bereta_Eder
Settler

AHA! SO there is an extra arrow. I was playing the other day and I didn't want to change goevrnment in a most crucial period of the game. But still I wondered why there was no mention of an extra arrow under republic in the manual. So I opened civilopedia and there was no reference to the much needed arrow either.

I agree with all of you of course.

I thought that if there was no economy boost (like in CIV 1) republic was just a joke government in CIV 2.
Old November 7, 2000, 22:20   #8
tonic
King

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 11-05-2000 06:05 PM
If you can get your Commie cities celebrating "we love" then you are really laughing.A corruption free Republic with no military unhappy problems results.Often the luxuries are well worth it.Very good for a Commie SSC.

Now that's an idea for an OCC scenario. COCC based on Tom's FOCC. Any takers?

Old November 9, 2000, 10:37   #9
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:46
i prefer communism when i still need to research, and due to the vet spies. I do use fundy when i have large enough cities to support many scientists. (these don't get halved on science output)
Old November 9, 2000, 11:00   #10
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:46
quote:

Originally posted by HsFB on 11-09-2000 09:37 AM
I do use fundy when i have large enough cities to support many scientists. (these don't get halved on science output)

I'm playing a game now in MGE where I'm quite sure the scientists' output is halved. One scientist produces two beakers; two scientists produce three beakers.
Old November 9, 2000, 14:25   #11
Everyman
Civilization II Multiplayer
Chieftain

I seldom use the Republic. The reasons are: (1) a successful Republic requires some preparation in order to maintain happiness and I'm usually not ready and (2) Democracy is a priority technology and I usually research it soon after reaching researching Republic. I generally build the Statue of Liberty soon thereafter and switch to Communism, which eliminates corruption, giving me a boost in trade and science.
Old November 9, 2000, 14:40   #12
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 11-09-2000 10:00 AM
I'm playing a game now in MGE where I'm quite sure the scientists' output is halved. One scientist produces two beakers; two scientists produce three beakers.

really?

well, i use FW, but i'll check.

Old November 9, 2000, 15:04   #13
drake
King

Local Time: 18:46
Republic gives me a headache. The people are just too hard to keep happy. I'd rather have less science and higher production any day....it just makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
Old November 9, 2000, 15:10   #14
N35t0r
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by drake on 11-09-2000 02:04 PM
Republic gives me a headache. The people are just too hard to keep happy. I'd rather have less science and higher production any day....it just makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

yeah, and you can also hold WLTxD to boost trade...

Old November 10, 2000, 06:30   #15
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by drake on 11-09-2000 02:04 PM

As always, it depends ! I like republic quite a lot. If I am on a not too big island, and I am alone on it, I can play and win the whole game with the republic. It has all the advantages of democracy with much less problems of happiness. Science and trade bonus along with the magical WLTPD can be very powerful indeed. Give me some good trade routes and it's close to paradise. But I don't mean than communism of fundy are bad, it's just a question of style.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old November 10, 2000, 12:31   #16
catullus
Warlord

Local Time: 23:46
In Civ1, my two prime governments were republic and communism. According to Brian Reynolds, those were the the two types that got boosted up in Civ2. Strangely, in Civ2, I almost never use rep or commie anymore. I've become a demo fan.
But commie is an incredibly powerful weapon to yield under the right circumstances. I've had trade go up by 50% when changing from rep to commie, allowing it to keep up with the peacenik nations on the science front, and still managing a brutal war somewhere else in the empire. And you got to love the spies, of coure.

C.
Old November 10, 2000, 15:24   #17
Bereta_Eder
Settler

SAme here Catullus.
I use demo in CIV 2 all the time now.
When I am obliged to fight I change VERY BRIEFLY to communism.
ALmost never use rep.
Old November 10, 2000, 16:19   #18
Mercantile
Settler

Julius-, i agree that on a small island or med size solo land claim , that repub is great as your trade vessels don't incur unhappiness problems. After all, each city with trade must have its' own boat.

However , on large land masses, with continual expansion, i am often not ready for Rep much less Dem until after the happy wonders are in my control. The ai is so slow to build them that in SP its a joke. Now, in MP this is completely different, especiall with x2 production.

As a trader, i need lots of land to continually trade my precious goods
Old November 10, 2000, 17:19   #19
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Hmmm, everybody's saying how tough and different MP is.
Maybe I should give it a try...

The only time I played civ 2 MP everybody left after 30 mins my self included....
[This message has been edited by paiktis22 (edited November 10, 2000).]
Old November 11, 2000, 08:39   #20
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 11-10-2000 03:19 PM
However , on large land masses, with continual expansion, i am often not ready for Rep much less Dem until after the happy wonders are in my control. The ai is so slow to build them that in SP its a joke. Now, in MP this is completely different, especiall with x2 production.

Of course, I was talking about SP. Even on a big island, you can choose to build only a few cities. I shall remain republican ! (although I admit that MP games could make me change my point of view)

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old August 10, 2001, 01:05   #21
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 16:46
resurfacing a fairly old thread...

I prefer to use monarchy, go straight for democracy, build the SoL and move straight from mono into communism. They are similar governments in many ways, and the conversion is easy. This is usually in games where I am warring often, and switching into a representative government is just simply detrimental to my cause.
Old August 10, 2001, 09:34   #22
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 16:46
I tend to skip republic when I'm in the mood to expand. Then I do the same SoL-->Communism move. Communism in 300ad is definitely better than the AI's democracy...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 11, 2001, 02:26   #23
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 17:46
I find Communism to be my "default" gov't in Civ II. There are instances where i briefly use either Dem/Rep or Fund. but I try to get communism as fast as i can and stick with it the rest of the game. I find it to be the most flexible form of gov't in most circumstances.
Old August 11, 2001, 03:01   #24
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:46
In MP ...repub then demo is the way to go if you have trade routes or a happy wonder......

with HG... you should be in repub for WLTCD's.... ASAP

That all said.... i often go the monarchy route first as rep can be annoying if your still trying to expand..... not too mention your cities are weak as your likely not to have many troops guarding