Old May 30, 2002, 13:31   #61
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

In truth, I'd rather not devote too much attention to the question just now...sure, I've got this little subsection of my brain mulling over it, but, as you say, we're not to that point yet.

But, the topic seems almost as popular as discussions on the tactical combat resolution system, at least in terms of how often it gets brought up, and when it does get brought up, I comment more on it.
business organization is more interesting to me than game design. My interest in these discussions is more just like the interest I have in OT discussions.

I will try to refrain from getting into these discussions since I want you to stay focused on the game.
Old May 30, 2002, 22:47   #62
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 09:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
Vel,

All I'm saying is that in order to put 100% effort into VelGames, you will need to have very little distractions. RE is a big distraction, and it could easily turn into a money sucking W####.

I really liked the idea that everyone was a part-timer and kept their day job. I also realize that this cannot be the case for a long term strategy. What I'm saying is that we are not, IMHO, ready to move to the next step. You ought to be able to run this thing for quite some time out of your apartment.

When and if the cash starts to flow, there will be changes. Hopefully, they will be small at first. Then maybe you can look into a RE venture to provide yourself and some full timers with office space, and rent out the rest.
Very well put.
I agree with basically all of that except for the bits about putting 100% of the effort into this. People doing things part time just cannot do this as they do have to earn a living and IMHO shouldn't try. I think it'd be a big mistake to try at present and I'd sincerely hope you guys can get through something akin to 90% or more of this project before having to change things.

Maybe the RE aspect is different in the States but over here it is regarded as part of the money market - being both reasonably profitable and most of all a very safe investment. Unless one is speculating on office space in a large city or somesuch , the idea is to buy low - fix up a bit - rent high(er). ie: high enough to do slightly better than pay off the mortgage and your average costs incurred, hence generating a small income while left pretty much to itself.
Go through this process enough and your one-off disaster risks tend to minimise and average out - hence leaving a fairly stable investment with a solid asset at the core, generating a small income throughout the period of paying off the mortgage.
The expertise comes in knowing where/what to buy and the effort required to generate value-adding results.

I was under the impression that this was the angle Vel was opting for ... ?

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
Besides, you should AVOID all cash costs until you have a product in hand. At that point, you can think about what bets you want to make in terms of investing in advertising, in publishing, in submissions to publishers, E3 attendance, etc. Right now, you get none of these goodies. Just work on the game. Your investment is your time, sweat equity, and the possible upside is a commercial game.
Old May 31, 2002, 08:48   #63
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 20:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
I agree with basically all of that except for the bits about putting 100% of the effort into this. People doing things part time just cannot do this as they do have to earn a living and IMHO shouldn't try. I think it'd be a big mistake to try at present and I'd sincerely hope you guys can get through something akin to 90% or more of this project before having to change things.
I'm sorry 100% was way stronger than I meant. I meant focus more than anything. I do not expect anyone to quit their day job, or spend 100% of their free time on this project. I'm more worried about the leader getting distracted and not having the time to provide direction when it is needed--thereby holding up the project by a few more days or weeks.

R:PM
Old June 2, 2002, 12:01   #64
BigRich@home
Settler

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon

Excellent. Now's my chance. In the hopes of getting the outsourced contract I have taken the liberty of prepared a number of highly useful strategies...

(1) Errr, build armies!

(2) Umm, Capture more provinces!

(3) Use armies to capture provinces! I'm on a roll now!

(4) Hmmm, Invest gold in technology!

(6) Errr, Find some way to get gold!

I think I'm a shoe-in for the job.

Rich