Old May 29, 2002, 03:05   #1
Random Passerby
Warlord

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Speculation on UUs...
After mulling around some of the tidbits dropped so far on unique units and just some of the possibilities, I think I'm more confused than when the first glimpses were given out. Mostly about conquistador... the Jeff Morris interview talks about Conquistadors and partially explains the odd stats, but then it talks about tech tree and prerequisites and such. It's possible that when he says "gunpowder" he just meant saltpeter, so conquistador would be cavalry with one less strategic resource requirement and one less attack point... but then really, Spain's getting shafted in my opinion. Samurai lose one requirement and gain a +33% boost to defense... conquistadors lose one requirement too and lose 16% of their attack power. It's possible--dare I dream?--that Firaxis decided to nerf cavalry and 5/3/3 is now the base A/D/M, but I doubt it.

What if they honestly WERE moved to a different part of the tech tree... say, astronomy or navigation? Now THAT would be a VERY unique unit, and a worthwhile gamble (though in a cutthroat MP game, still likely to be mediocre compared to some of the godlike ancient UUs)... if Spain beelined for them, they could likely get their conquistadors quite a ways before anyone reached military tradition (navigation is 5 techs in, if I remember correctly; military tradition is 7), plus netting all sorts of other benefits from the "builder" techs along the way (although they would miss out on musketmen unless they traded)... all in all, they'd have a nice-sized peak right in the middle medieval era, but then they'd genuinely be penalized once everyone else got cavalry on the field, as opposed to all the existing civs who simply lose an advantage when their UU falls obsolete. It would be nice if they made a few of the new UUs more along these lines (and fortunately it looks like they might), in my opinion; as it is, only a select few UUs are actually all that unique. Heck, I'd like to see them revamp a few of the existing UUs this way too... too many are either unbalancing or worthless.
Old May 29, 2002, 03:12   #2
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My only major comment concernign all civs is that there seems to be very few late game UUs. The Americans have thier F-15 for the only really late game one, and the German's have a fairly late game one. Does anyone knw if there are going to be any more late game UUs in the expansion???

I agree, many of the UUs are either underpowered (Man-O-War, Musket Man) or overpowered (Immortals), but i doubt that anything we do will get Firaxis to go back and change any of the values, we'll have to make do with modded games....

~~PP73~~
Old May 29, 2002, 04:59   #3
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 20:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
actually that's a really good theory that the Cavalry got nerfed, it was probably the most complained about unit, and while I didn't agree with it, that probably explains why the conquis is 5-3-3
So let's see here
Spain-Conquistador
Mongols- Keshik
Carthage- Another elephant trooper? A trireme?
Vikings- Bezerker
Celts- A swordsman of sometime, from the looks of the video
Arabs- Camel Raider?
Turks- Jannisary (it's gotta be a Jannisary)
Koreans?- Hwacha
Hebrews?- A modern-armor unit of some sort? A slingman replacing an archer?
Old May 29, 2002, 07:19   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If Koreans are in, maybe the Turtle Ships for the Middle Ages, otherwise, no idea. If Hebrews are in, they're better for a modern unit, like a very strong modern Tank.

Carthage, should, IMO, have Galleys that traverse Sea squares.