Old May 29, 2002, 18:11   #1
sadistiq
Settler

Local Time: 20:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
such tedium - it drives me crazy
well....i'm officially angry with civ3.
I'll admit that I never saw any of the problems with the game everyone pointed out, in fact I used to think the game was GREAT! But now I'm really angry. I sit on one turn for an hour while updating my military - deleting all of my 500 units ONE BY ONE BY ONE. It takes like an hour. I do this for two reasons 1. when I use workers, they're all I use. I have like 200 of them and I "infrastruct" my land in about 10 turns! But then I have to delete 200 workers ONE BY ONE BY ONE. So instead of saving time I guess it takes more. The second (2.) reason I delete an entire military is to update it. No one wants archers in the year 2000. But unfortunately I have to delete my 75 archers ONE BY ONE BY ONE. So I guess it's almost easier just to leave the dumb things.

I digress, however. What I'd like to know is if there is anyway to kill them all at once? Like the update all units, only "disband all units". I have version 1.16 - the other versions crash my CPU So, I guess that's it. I'm going to vent my rage by spending an hour or two deleting knights.
Old May 29, 2002, 18:32   #2
petey
Chieftain

Just attack someone to get rid of obsolete units. Throw them in the front of the fight and they get killed off pretty quickly, but you can generally take a few hit points off the AI's guys before they're all dead, making it easier for your new units to attack.

Instead of killing the workers, move them into cities and have them build up the population.

-When in doubt attack. When not in doubt, attack anyways - it's more fun
Old May 29, 2002, 18:47   #3
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If you still have 75 archers in 2000, then you obviously didn't need so many in 1000. Why didn't you wage war way back then?

It sounds like your real problem is your overarching desire to build more units than are really required.
Old May 29, 2002, 19:03   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 18:37
sadistiq,
Why are you not upgrading instead of disbanding? Are you disbanding your units in your cities so you recover 1/4 of their shield production cost, and in cities where it will do some good? Who determined that you had to disband everybody in the same turn?

Don't build so many workers next time.

Be thankful for the lessons learned, and don't think for a moment that anyone knew everything at the beginning.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 29, 2002, 19:16   #5
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 19:37
If you're the warlike type then I suggests you capture most of you workers, as I do. With no upkeep costs, I capture them and keep them forever. I take the old units that don't upgrade (swordsmen, calvalry) and disband them in unproductive cities - makes for quick temple building.
Old May 29, 2002, 19:20   #6
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
sadistiq,
Why are you not upgrading instead of disbanding? Are you disbanding your units in your cities so you recover 1/4 of their shield production cost, and in cities where it will do some good? Who determined that you had to disband everybody in the same turn?

Don't build so many workers next time.

Be thankful for the lessons learned, and don't think for a moment that anyone knew everything at the beginning.

All good points.

I've Edited the stupid Firaxis values so that every unit can be upgraded to something at appropriate cost. And upgrade I do.
Old May 29, 2002, 20:19   #7
Switch
Prince

I don't care that much about costs, but I wish they'd made Swordsmen upgrade to something.Since that's what I always start oput with, I'd like to not have to create an entirely new army once I reach a good enough tech.
Old May 29, 2002, 20:51   #8
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:37
i think the tedium comes from those 200 workers that you built sollution: dont built them!
Old May 29, 2002, 21:02   #9
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Alternately, you can stack move all your workers to your capital and trade them all for small sums of cash... probably better than disbanding them anyway.
Old May 29, 2002, 21:29   #10
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Its just incredible. The responses here are so lame its just not funny anymore. Sadistiq, pal, you are correct. There is no excuse for not have functions in this game to deal with this unit tedium. I apologize on behalf of the Civ3 community for the comments above.

I know it just irritates the heck out of some people but in SMAC you could upgrade every one of a particular unit in one operation (if you had the wherewithal). I don't understand why such plainly valuable functionality was taken out of the Civ series. Beats the hell out of me.
Old May 29, 2002, 21:33   #11
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Its just incredible. The responses here are so lame its just not funny anymore. Sadistiq, pal, you are correct. There is no excuse for not have functions in this game to deal with this unit tedium. I apologize on behalf of the Civ3 community for the comments above.

I know it just irritates the heck out of some people but in SMAC you could upgrade every one of a particular unit in one operation (if you had the wherewithal). I don't understand why such plainly valuable functionality was taken out of the Civ series. Beats the hell out of me.
What is more lame?

The responses themselves which only point out the lame and tedious solutions.

OR

That jimmytrick, once again, provides no solution himself, and complains about the game?

Even Coracle gave a solution that works for him.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 29, 2002, 21:37   #12
SirSebastian
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:37
Quote:
That would make sense except for the glaring fact that SMAC is not part of the Civ series. Oh yeah, huh? Yeah, huh.
Old May 29, 2002, 22:15   #13
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Oops sorry pal. SMAC is part of the Civ series. If fact Firaxis once planned a triology called the Sweep of Time that included ending a game of Civ and cutting into a game of SMAC. So, you couldn't be more wrong.

Tubes, the solution is so obvious that I hardly felt it necessary to elaborate but just for you I will. The game should be fixed. Thats right. Fixed. People post here concerns and complaints and the Choir hits them with lame, senseless workarounds. Don't want to take the time to disband those units? Just don't build them, duh. Man that kind of thing has worn out my patience. They need to add functionality to the game.
Old May 29, 2002, 22:28   #14
Tuberski

Now, jimmy, was that so hard? I agree totally with what this thread is about, I don't disband a lot of units BECAUSE there is no easy way to do it.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 29, 2002, 22:36   #15
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

games are supposed to help you relax and have fun. joining the "get it fixed!" whining choir doesnt sound neither relaxing nor fun.....
Old May 29, 2002, 22:38   #16
dervish
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:37
I understand your problem, sadistiq, once I ran into same thing as you were doing deleting some 200 units and sending some 40 workers to work. You should try that with my shitty slow puter
Old May 29, 2002, 22:42   #17
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

My comments on civ3 are not for my enjoyment, but are a service the the community. For game related fun I PBEM SMAC.

Old May 29, 2002, 22:49   #18
Tuberski

Doesn't PBEM take a long time to play?
Old May 29, 2002, 22:55   #19
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
I apologize on behalf of the Civ3 community for the comments above.

You presume a great deal, and you are wrong.

I don't think you speak for most of us, if any of us.

Shift-U. Upgrades all units of that type in cities with Barracks.
Old May 29, 2002, 23:04   #20
Tuberski

I think a Shift-D command to disband all units of a certain type is what the thread starter wants.
Old May 29, 2002, 23:05   #21
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

That would be a welcome addition Tuber.
Old May 29, 2002, 23:05   #22
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Maybe I should have said " I apologize for the civilized and decent segment of the Civ3 community". But maybe I wanted to give some of you the benefit of the doubt.

I disagree with the design decision that requires a unit to be in a barracks to be upgraded. This is because of the movement penalty for operating in enemy territory and the masses of units involved. It get too tedious. A better solution should be found.
Old May 29, 2002, 23:09   #23
notyoueither
Deity

If you consider endless flaming of a product and the people who like it to be civilized and decent, then I guess we have very different ideas on those topics.

jimmy, you implied it couldn't be done. You did not say that you disagreed with how it was done.
Old May 29, 2002, 23:17   #24
Tuberski

Quote:
I disagree with the design decision that requires a unit to be in a barracks to be upgraded. This is because of the movement penalty for operating in enemy territory and the masses of units involved. It get too tedious. A better solution should be found.
Actually it seems kind of dumb to me too, a barracks should offer free support for the units in the city. I mean if they don't have a barracks you are going to have to put them up in hotels. Or they will be camping in the park, which would be the same as being out in the field. You would have to spend money to support them.
Old May 29, 2002, 23:51   #25
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Notty,

I did not imply anything. I said that it can't be done. It can't. Get on the facts man.

jt
Old May 29, 2002, 23:53   #26
notyoueither
Deity

The facts jimmy? How would you know the facts. It seems you don't play the game anymore. I will stand by my earlier observations.
Old May 30, 2002, 03:25   #27
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

jimmy, your "service" is nothing but needed....
Old May 30, 2002, 03:35   #28
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:37
Are they releasing patches? Yes. Would such a function be helpful? Yes. Might it be in the next patch? Yes. Will complaining get it in? Nahhhh.
Old May 30, 2002, 08:08   #29
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Sometimes you have to just put your chin down and keep moving forward.
Old May 30, 2002, 08:16   #30
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

you're watching to many holywood movies jimmy