Old May 30, 2002, 07:00   #1
Dank
Warlord

Local Time: 20:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firewalled
Any here know how to disable a firewall.....many times I wanted to play and can't because I can't host (cable modem) and the other person(s) connection is unstable....I think it's my router because I'm networked but for the life of me I can't figure it out....any help would be nice.............
Old May 30, 2002, 08:35   #2
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Firewalled
Quote:
Originally posted by Dank
Any here know how to disable a firewall.....many times I wanted to play and can't because I can't host (cable modem) and the other person(s) connection is unstable....I think it's my router because I'm networked but for the life of me I can't figure it out....any help would be nice.............
In my case I have to disable ICSharing if I intend to host (not often!) because it acts like a firewall for my home/office network.
Old May 30, 2002, 10:00   #3
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 02:40
No no no. Do not disable your firewall, not even for a couple of hours. You need to set up port redirection on the router so that the civ game traffic is passed through the firewall to the requisite port on your machine. The game port is 4993. Icq me if you want a hand setting it up.
Old May 30, 2002, 13:51   #4
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Hey, Spike, Ming and I are both hooked into the same AT&T broadband local service. As a result, we can not see each other's IP to play an MP game. If someone else hosts, we can both join. All the techs say it's hardcoded in our modems. Being a manager of techs, I'm instantly suspicious. Any advice besides switching to an unsupported highspeed modem?

Rich
Old May 30, 2002, 13:55   #5
markusf
King

Local Time: 01:40
one of you joins using the ip of the local network, and the others join using the external ip
Old May 30, 2002, 14:22   #6
rah
lifer
Just another peon

No, the problem is only when One of us hosts. The other's won't connect to the host. Technically according to the AT&T rules we aren't supposed to be playing IP connected MP games so they aren't real helpful when you ask them how to violate their rules.
Old May 30, 2002, 14:39   #7
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Hey, Spike, Ming and I are both hooked into the same AT&T broadband local service. As a result, we can not see each other's IP to play an MP game. If someone else hosts, we can both join. All the techs say it's hardcoded in our modems. Being a manager of techs, I'm instantly suspicious. Any advice besides switching to an unsupported highspeed modem?

Rich
Sorry Rah probably can't help. I'm no expert, I just taught myself basic networking for my housemates and I, and then after getting dsl I taught myself about NAT, firewalling and port redirection so I would be secure and able to host games.

What do you mean you are hooked into the same service? You both have (static) external IPs yes? Can you ping one another?
Old May 30, 2002, 15:13   #8
rah
lifer
Just another peon

No we can not ping each other. It's like our IPs are invisible to each other, but we have no problems when there's an intermediary, like ICQ or another person hosting.

The told me, that the high speed modem is hardcoded to block it. As suspicious as I am about that answer, it is consistent with the symptoms and other things that I've tried.

We have no problem with other AT&T broadband people in different parts of the country.

RAH
Old May 30, 2002, 15:35   #9
DrSpike
Deity

Bummer. If you can't ping each other that would suggest your info is true...........can't think why they would only block it locally though. Unfortunately services with bandwidth limits and key ports blocked or other restrictions will become more and more prevalent I fear. Bandwidth is expensive, and even non computer literate people can work file sharing utilities.
Old May 30, 2002, 15:54   #10
rah
lifer
Just another peon

The one plus thing is that if what they tell me is correct, just one of us needs to get a "non-supported" high speed modem. Now just selecting one that isn't hardcoded to block that port and making it work. since I know the techs at at&t will laugh if I call.
Old May 30, 2002, 17:39   #11
Dank
Warlord

Oh boy....I'm more confused than ever......Spike as soon as I see ya on line I'm gonna ask for help.....thx all
Old June 3, 2002, 10:52   #12
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Interestingly enough, last week, Ming and I were able to connect together, so their hard coded in the modem story is obviously a farce. Will need to test some more. Moral, never trust at&t techs.

RAH
Old June 4, 2002, 11:23   #13
WarHawk

and when you find out Dank you can tell me and write it down print it out i know how forgetfull you are hehehe

Old June 4, 2002, 18:17   #14
Dank
Warlord

hehhehehe........it's that short-term memory......hehehe.......