Old June 1, 2002, 18:53   #31
Denday
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Global Catastrophe
Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer
I remembered in Civ2 there was a great scenario were aliens invaded, and you were left in a situation where you had to research new powerful units quickly, or get wiped out. Kinda like ID4 without the cheese.:
I must have played it over a hundread times and could win with everyone.
that was a great scenario
Old June 1, 2002, 19:01   #32
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 01:41
Re: Re: Global Catastrophe
Quote:
Originally posted by Denday

I must have played it over a hundread times and could win with everyone.
that was a great scenario
Ahh! A believer! Thanks be to Sid...
Old June 2, 2002, 07:11   #33
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:41
Quote:
Ah - it is 204x256.

MInes 25% bigger, although I believe its the number of AI units that determines the majority of the length of time a turn takes.

Not sure if the RAM type would make huge difference in time.

Im talking about 5 minute turns in the 1900s onwards.
hi ,

the more ram , the faster the calculations , .....

have a nice day
Old June 2, 2002, 08:25   #34
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I found a game in the OT archives and it is so realistic. Like lets say your America and ya launch nukes, Britain would turn on ya. So if you want "Apocalpsye Now" help every country build nukes and then launch yours, then they'll launch theirs!!
Old June 2, 2002, 12:19   #35
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bloody Baro
I found a game in the OT archives and it is so realistic. Like lets say your America and ya launch nukes, Britain would turn on ya. So if you want "Apocalpsye Now" help every country build nukes and then launch yours, then they'll launch theirs!!
hi ,

every nation , exept India , ......

anyone seen them launch , .......;its like they launch ones every 20 games or so , ..........

have a nice day
Old June 2, 2002, 17:37   #36
TheEvilCheater
Settler

I only got 64ram and on a huge map with 16 civs only take me about 4 minutes per turn. I dont play on huge cause 4 minutes is to slow for me. I play on standard map with 12 civs. I got 12 civs on there by changing the rules.
Old June 2, 2002, 18:01   #37
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEvilCheater
I only got 64ram and on a huge map with 16 civs only take me about 4 minutes per turn. I dont play on huge cause 4 minutes is to slow for me. I play on standard map with 12 civs. I got 12 civs on there by changing the rules.
hi ,

hmmmm , can you get more ram , ..........
it will go a lot faster then , ........

have a nice day
Old June 3, 2002, 07:30   #38
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:41
I must second the statement that Firaxis must rebuild the Modern age in PtW, using the idea about UN and Nuclear warfare we have posted a lot.

I say keep the aliens, meteors and such for scenarios. If there is an alien scenario for PtW made, I will probably play it, but keep the game itself free of it.
Old June 3, 2002, 08:07   #39
Miho
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Miznia

But Civ is about ALL aspects of maintaining a civ in history. If you leave out disasters, you're sacrificing game depth in favor of the warmonger or the builder.
I couldn't agree more. If you want realism in your civilisation then it's a necessity that natural disasters happen. A planet is not a nice safe place to build up a civ in real life. Disasters like floods, droughts, earthquakes etc.. are consistently happening - even in our life-times, nevermind over the time span a game of civ covers. I for one would really like to see unpredictable events like these occuring, if you don't want a challenge or to see your precious cities damaged what are you playing for??
Old June 3, 2002, 19:17   #40
Destroyer
Prince

Im cool with the fact that its not everyones cup of tea, but Id like the option in a scenario, where you start from scratch, with a hidden timer to said disaster.
Old June 3, 2002, 19:27   #41
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 20:41
Quote:
Im cool with the fact that its not everyones cup of tea, but Id like the option in a scenario, where you start from scratch, with a hidden timer to said disaster.
You may recall in the Atlantis scenario for Civ 2 there WERE indeed natural disasters randomly occuring. We could also turn them off if we wanted. We could do a lot more with Civ 2.
Old June 3, 2002, 19:30   #42
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

You may recall in the Atlantis scenario for Civ 2 there WERE indeed natural disasters randomly occuring. We could also turn them off if we wanted. We could do a lot more with Civ 2.
Yeah, we had a cheat mode for one thing..

However, if you remember correctly,which is in serious doubt, you didn't get any Atlantis scenario with Civ 2. You got it with Test of Time IIRC.

Which was, now listen carefully Coracle, an EXPANSION PACK , not part of the ORIGINAL game.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old June 3, 2002, 20:19   #43
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

The only Atlantis scenario I recall from Civ2 (I never got ToT) was in FW, and the only event that had was the sinking of Atlantis... and that wasn't random.
Old June 3, 2002, 20:21   #44
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
The only Atlantis scenario I recall from Civ2 (I never got ToT) was in FW, and the only event that had was the sinking of Atlantis... and that wasn't random.
I knew it was one of the 2. I stand corrected.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old June 4, 2002, 14:07   #45
MBD
Chieftain

One thing I do wish had been included among the random events is the idea of something like the Great Depression -- a massive economic disaster that affects every civ, not just one. It should cause decreased productivity and severe unhappiness.
Old June 4, 2002, 14:29   #46
MiloMilo
Warlord

I don't know, I think random is not the best way to go with this stuff. Remember market crashes in SMAC? After saving up 3000 credits you're left with 400? That just sucks, there was no workaround or strategy to counter it.

I think Destroyer's first idea was to have scheduled, scripted game changing events. E.g., like he said, an alien invasion. Maybe after you send your ship to A.C. something finds it and follows its trail back to earth. Invent a few future techs (hell, borrow from SMAC!) and all civs scramble their way to some kind of effective resistance - or maybe some decide to help the aliens... etc.

Or after a diplomatic victory, you think that everything is hunky-dory, when nukes start going off. Fringe elements don't like your new world order. So they take stolen nuclear weapons and blast the world to hell. You're left in a blasted desert world, road warrior-style, with different factions duking it out for different resources, like water. New techs can include genetic tinkering to make mutations that let people live off pollution, etc.

The point is, stuff like this either interrupting or following the modern age will make the modern age into another transitional age, rather than the end of the story. Wow, if you could have different ones depending on which victory condition you (or the AI) fulfill... talk about added replay value. Theseus would have incentive to become a peacenik!
Old June 4, 2002, 19:19   #47
Coracle
Prince

The Great Depression wasn't a "random event". It was the result of some very ill-advised economic policies.
Old June 4, 2002, 19:28   #48
MBD
Chieftain

Wow... really... no kidding?? Boy, thanks very much for the history lesson.

As I said, I'd like a random event LIKE (as in having the same characteristics or effects as) the Great Depression, including possibly such things as decreased productivity and severe unhappiness in all the cities of every civ. Losing some productivity might hurt, but suddenly having 2 or 3 more unhappy citizens in every city could be fatal. The weaker democracies would almost certainly collapse.

Last edited by MBD; June 4, 2002 at 20:38.
Old June 5, 2002, 14:45   #49
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MiloMilo

I think Destroyer's first idea was to have scheduled, scripted game changing events. E.g., like he said, an alien invasion. Maybe after you send your ship to A.C. something finds it and follows its trail back to earth. Invent a few future techs (hell, borrow from SMAC!) and all civs scramble their way to some kind of effective resistance - or maybe some decide to help the aliens... etc.
Yeah, that would be something you decide before you start the game (either a random or selected event), just to mix things up later in the game. I just think it would give a different edge to the game - rather that designing a set scenario, you actually play out the game from the start, so you in effect determine you starting strength by the way you have played out the first chunk of the game.