Old May 31, 2002, 04:36   #1
Grail Quest
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War and Peace warring strategy vs. AI
In my current game, I am neighbors with the Hive, who have been traditionally very aggressive. I chanced upon this strategy when the Hive had 7 probes stacked nearby, and I knew he was going to probe-rape my nearest base for its superior tech. I got tired of maneuvering my units to block them, and 7 probes in a stack was too juicy not to destroy.
I swear the following works:

(a) get into position to take a Hive base in 1 Turn
(b) do something to provoke them and let the Hive pronounce Vendetta
(c) move all your units, doing as much damage as possible
(d) take the Hive base; change to Police State if desired
(e) at this point, Yang will usually call because you've taken a base; if not, set to Police State and call Yang; whatever he wants: agree to Truce
(f) optional: if the Hive is very angry, give back the captured base as a gift with no strings attached; if you have superior tech, and no way to defend against probes, definitely give back the base, or give it to one of the Hive's enemies (so the Hive will snatch it back, making it again viable for repeating this strategy)
(g) regroup your forces and repeat

If you are careful not to move undefended probe teams too close to his borders and where his units can get to them, he will probably not counterattack.
It's crazy, but it works. I've gone four turns straight with this strategy, and the damage I've inflicted is massive, especially as he has (that is, had) a conga-line of stacked infantry (as much as 8+ units in the same square) marching up to hit the Morgans, who are kinda-sorta behind my territory.