View Poll Results: What level or levels would you enjoy most for the June unofficial tourney?
Chieftain 2 10.00%
Warlord 0 0%
Regent 5 25.00%
Monarch 9 45.00%
Emperor 4 20.00%
Deity 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 1, 2002, 03:52   #1
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What level should the unofficial June tourney be?
The question came up of what difficulty level we should use for the June unofficial tournament game, so I figured I'd post a poll to see what people think. Feel free to select more than one level if there are two or three you like about equally well. This poll is really intended for people who would be interested in playing if the game is at the right level, since we're the ones who have to live with the results.

Also, feel free to use this thread to make suggestions for other parameters (e.g. map size, barbarians, etc.).

Nathan
Old June 1, 2002, 17:01   #2
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 17:47
small map please. My slow computer and lack of playing time stretch my games to a month long event.
Old June 1, 2002, 17:06   #3
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It looks like I'll be handling the tournament this month. If we get enough interest at the Chieftain/Warlord level, I'm inclined to post two games, one at one of those levels and another at Regent or Monarch (probably more likely Monarch). The rules of the Chieftain/Warlord tournament would be that no one who has ever won a game on Monarch or higher can compete officially, although they're welcome to play unofficially and share their thoughts. Opinions, anyone?

Nathan
Old June 1, 2002, 17:27   #4
nbarclay
Emperor

Campaign Idea: "Island Hopping"
Here's an idea for a campaign I call "Island Hopping." Let me know what you think; I don't have my heart set on it if people prefer something else.

The concept: I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't play a lot of games where naval operations are important for doing well. In this one, they will be, which could make for an interesting change of pace.

The Map: Standard or large archipelego map, but with a maximum water percentage to (hopefully) have the map play a bit smaller than its true size. (Personally, I'd prefer large, but someone else just posted a request for a small map, so we'll see what others think if anyone else cares to provide input.) Lots of water also makes it more likely that one land mass won't be easily reachable from another (and makes the Great Lighthouse more important). Climate, temperature, and age random to keep things interesting.

The Civs: All random, including ours. My inclination is to go with the maximum number of opponents for our map size, but if a consensus develops otherwise, that's fine.

Difficulty Level: That's what the poll is for.

Barbarians: None. I hate having us know in advance that we won't have to worry about barbarians, but no barbarians means no goodie huts (if things work the way I think they do), which removes the random luck element of having some people get free settlers while others get next to nothing. I think that makes for a fairer game in a tournament setting.

Starting position: How much I'll do to make sure we get a decent starting position probably depends on the difficulty level. At the very least, I'll make sure what the first settler sees in 4000 BC looks decent, and I'll probably play far enough to make sure we aren't stranded on a really tiny island before uploading.

Victory Conditions: All

As I said, I'm flexible, so if anyone else has a fun idea for a starting set-up, you're welcome to post it. Come to think of it, it wouldn't hurt to start thinking about ideas for future months too.

Nathan
Old June 1, 2002, 17:42   #5
nbarclay
Emperor

Here's yet another thought: if we do go with a large map, the tournament could be left open for two months instead of one. That's not to say that there wouldn't be a July tournament, just that the start of the July one wouldn't mean the end of accepting submissions for the June one. If we do that, I'm thinking in terms of posting one list of winners for people who finish the first month and then later another list of overall winners. Opinions, anyone?

Nathan
Old June 2, 2002, 08:12   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 02:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I like your proposals, and would play a monarch-deity game with those settings. I think standard size map though.
Old June 2, 2002, 14:55   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:47
Sounds good to me, but not tooo large a map. Some of have to go to work, ya know. Also not maximum number of civs would be nice. You know they're just a bunch of cheating tech whores. If you go with your islands proposal, should be fun. Regent or Monarch please, and NOT WARM AND WET (we like to have _some_ oil in the world and not just jungles)

When's it starting ?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old June 3, 2002, 03:15   #8
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 12:47
Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
... NOT WARM AND WET (we like to have _some_ oil in the world and not just jungles)
Play with a mod that puts oil in jungles, Venezuela-style. I have found that oil in jungles, desert and tundra works well because all extremes of climate are likely to have oil. I also put oil in plains just to be sure.
Old June 3, 2002, 09:48   #9
Carcajou
Settler

Local Time: 20:47
I voted for Regent
After 15 votes, the tendency is clearly for Monarch.
But not Emperor or Deity please!

An 80% Archipelago will really be different and a good challenge.