Old May 12, 2001, 18:13   #1
Mathphysto
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Realists' List
Calling all those who crave intricate, dynamic, and, above all, realistic play!! What are your ideas, your hopes, your demands? How much is too much? What would your ideal historical strategy game look like? This is The List for realists - don't be afraid to dream.

Some topics include:

The AI (should it have multiple personality disorder, continuously changing personality, etc)

The Map (should it be tiled, or continuous like real-time "strategy" games)

Time Scale (should it be shorter, or should it change (SoulAssasin))

Production (should there be finite resources, colonies, stockpiling)

Tile Improvements (should the player build them, or do the farmers farm on their own)

Warfare (CTP-style, or Caesar, or Civ2, and should unit production relate to population)

Techs (more techs, simultaneous research of multiple techs)

Nation (how to make civ more coherent, less like federation of city-states)

Society (how should the people's opinions affect the leader's options)

Religion (should it be in, and how)

Economy (how much of the economy should be out of leader's hands and in the hands of the merchants, should there be a national budget)

Whatever the heck you have an idea for.

And if you don't want to talk about that, you can go read the Geneva Convention on some other thread...
Old May 12, 2001, 22:24   #2
Pedrun
Chieftain

It is dificult to decide so many subjects in one topic so i'm only writing here my ideas.

The Map - I like Ralf's idea of sligh change in the game height level between those four choices. Although im having trouble picturing the mountains

Tile Improvments - They should be build by the settlers and they have to cost some money.

Warfare - I like Caesars model whee you usualy control units during the combat. Organizing and making strategies in the battlefield. More details see my post in the topic "Battles". This should be a optional feature (it is not everybody that likes to organize armies and make battlefield strategies).
- CivIII have to add unconventional warfare ( Cleric, Slaver, Lawer, ...) from CTP
- Barbarians after conquering a city they change their name and become a regular civ. Other ideas see my post in the topic "Let Me Play With the Dark Civ"

Techs - I like civ2 way

Society - When a civ stay rioting during 4 (or less) turns they become a civ like the others (PS I dont get the minor civ idea)

Religion - This should be in. There has to be Clerics like CTP. Converted cities have happiness penalties and if they riot they become part of the civ that converted then.
- Temples and other clerical improvments are better in some govts.
- I'm open for new ideas

Governments - There should be separation of Politics and Economics caractheristics and combo then
-----Politics - you start with all the options to choose --- Monarchy, Parliamentary, Republic.
-----Economics - You have to research the options and you get a unconventional warfare unit yet to see its benfits. Options -- Tribal(no unit), Slavism(slaver), Feudalism(feudal sir), Fundamentalism(cleric), Capitalism( Corporative branch), Comunism(comunity leader), Liberalism (multinational), Ecologism (to decide)

I really hope others to write their ideas. so we can set a profile of their ideal game.
Old May 12, 2001, 22:37   #3
Pedrun
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Pedrun on 05-12-2001 10:24 PM

Tile Improvments - They should be build by the settlers and they have to cost some money.

The tile improvmens should be build by the Workers and not by the Settlers

Sorry my mistake

Old May 13, 2001, 03:06   #4
Dienstag
Warlord

Some of my thoughts on realism:

1.) No Clerics, Slavers, Park Rangers, Cyber Ninjas, etc... yeah people were converted and/or enslaved in history, but not like this.

2.) I would like more techs and simultaneous research of different techs. Oh, and to make it really realistic how about blind (or at best semi-guided) research?

I would offer that the number one unrealistic thing in Civ (other than immortal omnipotent leaders and Fundamentalism) is movement. For example: instant railroad movement, 50 years for settler to move 1 square, bombers hang in air for a year, dozens of years to circumnavigate the world (Magellan took 3), etc...
Old May 13, 2001, 03:53   #5
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 13:04
Timescale - This is suppose to be a game rather than a simulation of the real world so fiddling with it to try to get it relatively true to history is a bit of a waste of time. It's just a way to make the turns go by instead of, say, "Turn 213" or some such. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing the increments to time being dynamic in the game rather than static. So instead of having the increments change at fixed points, I propose perhaps a decrease of the time increment each time there is a tech breakthrough into a new age. This would give the game a variable number of total turns and an incentive to get to a new age more quickly so as to have more turns to play.
Old May 13, 2001, 05:26   #6
Ralf
King

Local Time: 02:04
quote:

Originally posted by Mathphysto on 05-12-2001 06:13 PM
The AI (should it have multiple personality disorder, continuously changing personality, etc)

WHAT!!! Oh, well...

(Its appeantly not that uncommon that game-customers mistakenly reports deliberately designed game-features and angrily reports that as BUGS - and the demand a patch for it. Pronto!!! Well, an AI with "multiple personality disorder" and "continuously changing personality" certainly wouldnt help to prevent above reactions - thats for sure).
Old May 13, 2001, 07:25   #7
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 05-13-2001 05:26 AM
WHAT!!! Oh, well...

(Its appeantly not that uncommon that game-customers mistakenly reports deliberately designed game-features and angrily reports that as BUGS - and the demand a patch for it. Pronto!!! Well, an AI with "multiple personality disorder" and "continuously changing personality" certainly wouldnt help to prevent above reactions - thats for sure).

LOL, but true!
Old May 13, 2001, 08:34   #8
Pedrun
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Dienstag on 05-13-2001 03:06 AM
Some of my thoughts on realism:

1.) No Clerics, Slavers, Park Rangers, Cyber Ninjas, etc... yeah people were converted and/or enslaved in history, but not like this.

I dont think you ever heard about the jesuits. Jesuits were created in the counter-reform. They worked in Europe to stop the protestatism and many were sent to other countries(Especially in America) to convert the natives and make them easier to be conquered. That was used in large scale in the colonization of my country (Brazil). You should read something about or ask a history teacher he will tell you about it.

I'm sorry but the slavery happened in history in three ways:
-War prisioners (that could be easily add in the gameplay),
-Slavers buy others civ slaves (a new kind of trade??),
-Expeditions of slavers went searching people to slave(especially with the blacks in africa and indians in south america). In this third option the slaver unit goes.

Cyber ninjas are just a advanced spy with a stupid ugly name and way to colorful.

I wont tell you about the many lawers of a nation.

Corporative branch? i like to think that they are multinationals.

Sorry, for sure these units gives much more realism to the game and increases the fun

Old May 13, 2001, 10:19   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The AI Personality - I'd like to see the leaders have different personalities, and if you assassinate a leader a new one with different personalities comes into power. Also, when you conquer another Civilization, I'd like to see an option of restoring independence and then placing a leader in power with personality traits that you(the player) approve.

The Map - Continuous is definitely the way to go, it would allow a more realistic game.

Time Scale - I just want it realistic... one turn shouldn't be 20 years. But I also don't want to spend 4 days going from 4000 BC to 3000 BC.

Production - Yes for finite resources, yes for colonies, yes for stockpiling.

Tile Improvements - Farmers farm their own... I don't want to play an agriculture game, which is what Civ 2 became.

Warfare - CTP style, but brought into more detail... distance, heighth, and the option of surrendering. Also, hit points should be based on supplies and people, so that to bring a unit back to full power, you need to add reserves.

Techs - Simultaneous research, but don't make it easily monopolized. Once muskets, bolt actioned rifles are discovered, it only takes a few battles for an enemy to get their hands on one and then copy the design. Stealth Bombers vs Phalanx is very unrealistic.

Nation - I'd like to see less of a city-state organization. And please, add more of an option for importing food. Real-life New York City doesn't have many surrounding farms, they import lots of food.

Society - I'm not sure what you're asking here Mathphysto, please elaborate.

Religion - Religion did play a huge part in our history, every major war was about religion except for maybe the Civil War, Vietnam, and the Gulf War.

Economy - You could make a game solely based on economics, so lets keep it simple.

Other Ideas:

Canals, I WANT TO BUILD CANALS DAMMIT.

Strategic Warfare, I WANT TO DESTROY BRIDGES, POWER PLANTS, DAMS... YES I WANT TO FLOOD A TOWN AT THE BOTTOM OF A FLOOD PLAIN MUHAHHAH

Diplomacy, most modern age diplomacy has been about disarming one's arsenal of powerful weapons. Pre-WWII tension between Japan and the US was about having capital ships over 35,000 tons. How about having an option of reducing arms in diplomacy.

The Map.... lets make it a globe please, the distance E-W between points on the globe with equal latitude is much greater near the equator than closer to the poles.

Supply lines for military. Pretty self-explanatory. Armies need a lot of support. Most of WWII was about keeping supply lines. Napoleaon lost his Russian campaign because of inadequate supply lines. Same with Hitler losing the Russian campaign.
Old May 13, 2001, 13:07   #10
Pedrun
Chieftain

Add on

AI personality - Soulassassin you're right, the AI must change peronality and should change according to its civ present condition. If a civ of military personality starts to loose muny units and its civ is having economic problems because of its continues unit direct production. At one point the personality should change to solve the problems that the old peronality created to keep up with he others civs. On the other hand if a Economic civ become a economic power the AI personality should change to a military personaty. The same for technologicly late civs change the personality to again keep up wit the others. So a civ AI leader continuesly change his personality during the game

Timescale - CTP2's biggest turn(at the beggining) is only 25 years and does go very well and is quite fast.

Production - Soulassasin i'm tottaly with you. Especially about stockpilling.

Tile Improvment - Today the farmrs still need help from the government. I still keep my idea.

Economy - has to be simple, but in civ2 there was no trade. For me the only use of Caravans were to help build wonders. I like CTP2 (CTP's doesnt work either)trade model. Trade usually made part of my civ. Although there was no need for importation (they were just for exportation) But with the concept of Luxuries(+happiness) and resources(needed for production) importation will be needed improving the trade model of CTP2.

PS: Soulassassin what is CANALs?
PS: No body did ever tell me the bads about the Caesar combat system i'm proposing? Please do? i need some critics.

Old May 14, 2001, 06:38   #11
Roman
King

Hey, you realists , how about having more than 7 civs per game. IMO, it is also an important realism issue (on top of the main fact that it is crucial to scenario makers.

Please visit my "behemonth thread" and lend your support for the issue.
Old May 14, 2001, 08:46   #12
Pedrun
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Roman on 05-14-2001 06:38 AM
Hey, you realists , how about having more than 7 civs per game. IMO, it is also an important realism issue (on top of the main fact that it is crucial to scenario makers.

This feature is more important than you could imaging. I would change all my ideas for a civ3 with 16 or more civs and good AI.
Old May 14, 2001, 10:26   #13
Mathphysto
Chieftain

Don't worry Roman - I already added my name to your petition for more civs

SoulAssasin - When I mention Society as a topic, I was putting forth the quetion (although I didn't really write it well, sorry) of how much of a role public opinion should have. If given enough of a voice, the people could revolt against their leader if the leader's policies are very different from what the people would like to see happen. Basically, this gives a more complex, realistic model of "happiness" and the relationship between the ruler and the ruled.

Also, would you want to see business, the military, and religion be represented by separate AI entities? The business AI would urge you to endorse policies that would increase their profits - and their support would be important for your continued reign as leader. Similarly, the religious AI would urge you to endorse policies that would further the glory and influence of their faith - and their support could make yor break you in certain political systems (feudalism, monarchy - but not parliamentarism). And the military AI would urge you to endorse policies that would better protect the homeland - and would commit a coup d'etat if you displeased them too much (and had, say, a soviet communist or fascist government).

Basically, this would amount to making the advisors into independent entities whose support you must curry and maintain to survive, much less win.
Old May 14, 2001, 15:58   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Mathphysto, yeah I'd like to see a society, public opinion, feature in the game. Maybe a poll on what your citizens think about certain things like, "Do you think we should declare war on the Germans", etc then have an answer, "Sire, 52 percent think we should wipe the Germans off the face of the planet!"

I would also like to see proposals from companies to build weapons among other things. Everything in WWII was made by companies. Browning, Colt, Remington, supplied guns and ammunition. Lockheed-Martin, McDonnel-Douglas supplied aircraft. Etcetera...
Old May 14, 2001, 18:07   #15
Roman
King

Actually, Firaxis said that they are considering including corporations as independent actors in the game.
Old May 14, 2001, 20:03   #16
Captain
King

I'm not sure how well this would work in a game, but since you asked about realism...

I've been 'guest' reading this BBS for several months now - something that I haven't found any substantial discussion on is this:
GENERATIONS
A 5 yr old isn't the same as a 25 yr old isn't the same as a 50 yr old.
They have different abilities and also different attitudes. One of the primary modes of societal revolution or core change is that of a new generation coming to power/maturity. If you want realism, there should be an indication of how many are children, how many are of working age, and how many 'retired' (a very recent concept). Consider schooling, labour, and dependency. Children are the future but in the present, they contribute little and drain a lot (look at a parent's finances vs childless people). Recall that until the institution of the public education system in the 19th century, the primary mode of societal reproduction has been the family unit - that is, values and conduct are passed on and modified generationally. There are many other ways this would affect gameplay, but I just want to raise the concept.

Two other things that I think should be discussed more are GENDER and ETHNICITY. In our lifetimes, the difference in status has been significantly reduced. Remember that until the 19th century, women were not 'persons', and were treated by many as chattel (property). Yet, civilization is impossible without women. Also, today racism remains a huge problem, but consider how much worse it used to be, even just 50 yrs ago! Civ should reflect the immense historical discrepancies b/w such groups in the past.

Comments?
Old May 14, 2001, 20:38   #17
Captain
King

Oh, I just thought of something else that's pretty fundamental but hasn't been given enough consideration, COMMUNICATION.
While it may make the game virtually impossible to play, we should keep in mind that instant communication around the globe is pretty much a 20th century phenomenon. Marconi's radio transmission was only about 100 yrs ago. Wireless comm dates pretty much from then. Prior to that and still in heavy use is cable comm, either wire or fibre optic, from late 1800's of telegraphs to modern net systems.
But the key thing is that before those and air mail, everything was sent by courier (a person who carries a physical letter or object, not FedEx or UPS specifically).
That means that to communicate with a city about 100 km away, it would take at least one day with a clear path on horseback. Even the vaunted runner system of the Incas took 3 days to cross empire end to end. Magellan took 3 years to circumnavigate the globe. Sure that was first voyage but even later with well-known shipping routes, the British Parliament often could not restrain many of their overseas representatives. For examples, Clive in India did as he pleased - by the time the Parliament found out, it was six months later. How much more difficult was it for kings to retain control over the distant reaches of their domain. Large ancient empires with poor infrastructure had serious, crippling communications problems. Admittedly, signals could be used a la Great Wall Fires of Mulan - but eventually a courier is needed to convey orders directly. In ships this was the worst case, signal flags for comm, but for distinct orders or letters, it could be 6 mo to 2 yrs before you got word.

Basically, the point is that the further away a unit or city is, there should be a delay. And if a unit or city is surrounded, then comm is cutoff and they should have to act on their own without your direct control.

It may make it unplayable, but it'd be more realistic. Plus, it would add a lot more emphasis to research on comm and infrastructure since you'd be itching to get instant comm and better control.

(this is probably only significant for smaller timescales, but on the other hand, think about how can a unit move only 1 space, but then report back to you on exploration and go back with further orders when they're 50 spaces away? - it don't jive)
Old May 14, 2001, 20:54   #18
Captain
King

while I'm on it, what about DISEASE?

The fact is that most armies were primarily destroyed by DISEASE, not actual battle. By the time armies actually met each other, half their numbers were gone due to disease. Then the actual battles didn't kill that many percentage-wise. Since when one side saw it was losing, it would flee.
Take a look at any of the stats and you'll see for yourself how shocking it is. The after battle wounds that inevitably got infected usally killed more than actual battle. An otherwise minor cut meant death from infection.

Not until Florence Nightingale's revamp of field hospitals, and aseptic techniques (which actually came before germ theory) did post-battle mortalities decline.

If you think about it, civilian disease was a major factor in limiting productivity, inventiveness, and research. Most people barely survived, subsisting on the minimum. Poor nutrition, poor sanitation, lack of knoweldge of the spread of disease (ring around the posie) crippled many.

Since everyone was too busy trying to survive and dying much earlier than these days (few people reached old age, and infant mortality was 100's of times higher), no one had the time or luxury to engage in non-essential activities. When they did, they were able to improve their knowledge and thus become producers of knowledge and culture instead of just consumers and reproducers.

Although the limited communication/contact with other societies due to poor transport and security limited the spread of disease, as soon as conatct was made, disaster happened. Native Americans were wiped out primarily by disease. (the resistant ones were then shot or starved to death). Of the approx 25 million native 'Mexicans', 24 million died of disease brought by europeans.

So far, no game adquately reflects the effects of disease.
Old May 14, 2001, 21:38   #19
Captain
King

uh, yeah I know I've gone post crazy, but just one more:
OVERPOPULATION!!!

civ 2 as it is has no way of having OVERPopulation. The bigger the pop, the better according to this game. Plus it naturally caps itself by food production. In reality, this isn't the case, people reproduce independently of food, they don't survive necessarily, but they're there. Many countries out there don't have food surpluses but their pop continues to grow! (primarily Africa).

There are slums, displaced people, refugees, pollution, disease, etc that are all amplified by overpopulation. Plus huge populations are very difficult to govern even as an authoritarian/autocratic state! There should be some WAY serious penalties for OVERpopulation.

I guess in general, of all the things lacking, it's depth to the whole people aspect of the game. civilization is about humanity - people working together to create a society, a whole greater than its sum. But the game as is is pretty much a territory/terrain & production game with few human aspects. I get the feeling I'm ruling a bunch of robots or sheep, not interacting with the dynamic societies that we live in.

(don't get me wrong though, i still love CIV!)
Old May 14, 2001, 22:58   #20
Lung
King

Local Time: 11:04
I'm not an expert on any of these, but as a Civ2 and CTP warmonger, i have some good insights into warfare which i'd like to share

POPULATION/UNIT PRODUCTION
==========================
Firstly is the question of units in relation to population. Units should relate to population, except for tech units e.g. catapult, cannon, tank, bomber, ICBM. Sure, some of them require personnel, but it is small in comparison to infrantry units. However, Civ2 had it right in that you could only produce one military unit per population point. Apparently Civ3 will have support in terms of gold? This is even better, but infantry units should be limited to population points. In an old thread, i proposed that militia units be created directly from population points. I suggested that militia unit production cause temporary population loss, but that a larger number of units could be created for each pop point i.e. more than one. Militia units could be disbanded for an increase in population when required, although killed militia units are lost to population forever. The production costs of creating militia units would then relate to arms and training.

I also have a number of other concepts, some of which have been mentioned by others, although all of these concepts would involve minimal development, with little in the way of graphics or features required.

CAMOUFLAGE
==========
Certain units should be able to be invisible until they move, at least after a turn. Perhaps a tech advance called camouflage? Anyway, this would enable armies to effectively ambush the enemy, perhaps even allowing for a bonus attack strength for the ambushers or reduced defence strength for the ambushees. As an enemy unit, they should appear shaded or similar to signify a unit with camouflage ability. Of course, if they move, you won't know This would add greatly to gameplay, as it would give the defender more options. It would also deter attackers from approaching on a wide front.

SURRENDER
=========
Units could be given orders to fight to the death, which would make them more susceptible to bribery, or otherwise surrender. Until the Geneva Convention (which could be added to the diplomacy model), surrendered units could be enslaved. After the Geneva Convention, captured units could only be imprisoned, at cost to the victors. A city would then have to be selected for a prison camp. I'll leave it to others to debate whether this could be abused so prisoners be subjected to effective slavery ala WWII Japanese prison camps.

MINEFIELDS
==========
Perhaps a Miltary Engineer unit could turn a tile into a minefield, known only to the mine-laying civ. Any military unit would suffer damage to cross it. Minefields could be dismantled by M/Engineers in one turn. Other options could be barbed wire, which slows down units, and tank traps, which slow down tanks. Also sea mines could be added, presumably to waters on continental shelves.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other great ideas out there
Old May 14, 2001, 23:09   #21
polymths
Warlord

Local Time: 17:04
quote:

Originally posted by Lung on 05-14-2001 10:58 PM
I'm not an expert on any of these, but as a Civ2 and CTP warmonger, i have some good insights into warfare which i'd like to share

POPULATION/UNIT PRODUCTION
==========================
Firstly is the question of units in relation to population. Units should relate to population, except for tech units e.g. catapult, cannon, tank, bomber, ICBM. Sure, some of them require personnel, but it is small in comparison to infrantry units. However, Civ2 had it right in that you could only produce one military unit per population point. Apparently Civ3 will have support in terms of gold? This is even better, but infantry units should be limited to population points. In an old thread, i proposed that militia units be created directly from population points. I suggested that militia unit production cause temporary population loss, but that a larger number of units could be created for each pop point i.e. more than one. Militia units could be disbanded for an increase in population when required, although killed militia units are lost to population forever. The production costs of creating militia units would then relate to arms and training.

Lung, please visit the "Reduce population when military unit is built" thread. Using Theben's initial idea, I have modified it only slightly to come up with a very simple model for reducing population WITHOUT losing a whole population head point for every unit.

(BTW, only settlers cost population point reduction).

The idea is that every unit would cost a certain number of bushels. The bushel loss would be spread out amongst all your cities.

This has the effect of simulating population loss realistically, requires little effort on the part of Firaxis to implement, and require absolutely no change in the population model of Civ1/Civ2!!!

In fact, if I am not mistaken, although population point/head DOES CHANGE throughout the game, the bushel/head is relatively constant! (You will note that the "bushel box" increases at larger population points.

Everyone please join that thread to give me your opinion!

[This message has been edited by polymths (edited May 14, 2001).]
Old May 15, 2001, 00:03   #22
Pedrun
Chieftain

Captain, your ideas seem a little off. The generation issue is not that important and it is kind of difficult to know the generations numbers when each turn counts many years. Yet i dont think it is a good idea. The same about the comunication idea: why do you think turns in the past of the game are longer than the present ones. We are making distances smallers . Disease is a good idea could go as random events but the changes that it happen could be prevented with some improvments(drugstore, Hospital). The overpopulation does give penalties (your idea is a little late ).
Old May 15, 2001, 05:15   #23
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Decisions, Decisions:

AI Personalities: I believe that the AI behind each civ should have certain recognisable character traits (at first), but that these can change gradually over time, depending on how over civs treat them. In combat however-each AI should be almost completely unpredictable!

Time Scale: Definitely SHORTER!!! and with each turn broken down into either All Move, then All Fight or All Move, All Fight, then All Move again!

Resources: These should definitely be finite. Once they're gone, you have to find you new sources, driving conflict and colonization.

Combat: Preferably an "Optional" Tactical screen, but failing that I'd like to see a stacked combat system where all units in a stack fight simultaneously against a unit in the opposing stack. I definitely think that there should be a tie-in between population and units.

Tech: Simultaneous Tech research a-la "Birth of the Federation".

Nation: I feel that the ideas of Culture, Borders and Regional resources all help to creating the feel of a coherent nation (Perhaps some government types may feature the city-state over the nation, but each city shares the same culture?)

Society: I definitely want my citizens to have a greater say in important decisions (especially democratic governments). I think The Joker had the best idea for this. With the Absolutity Index (between 0-9) determining how much public support you need for major decisions and Faction Support ratings for different government types (sort of like the Factions of Planet). You have to bribe or cajole some of these factions to get your way!

Religion: This should be an adjunct of Culture. Where you produce special religious units that follow the "State" religion. You can then send these units to other nations cities and have them conduct a "Conversion" attack (the difficulty based on the current Culture rating), which slowly reduces the cultural rating of the target city. This could eventually put the city in your hands, or make it easier to assimilate if you conquer it later!

Economy: I want to have the ability to levy taxes on different sections of society in order to get the money I need for projects! I then want to be able to allocate my budget to various areas (research, education, health, military etc) using a percentage allocation system!

Anyway, sorry for the length of the post, but you wanted to know our ideas.
Thanks,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Old May 15, 2001, 07:17   #24
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Captain, I understand what you are saying, but CIV is supposed to be a game, not an exact recreation of the past. Plus, some of the things you have spoken of may not be in Civ2, but were represented, albeit poorly, in the CTP series. Over population does cause unhappiness. Improvements like the aquaduct help to aleviate unhappiness caused by cities that are too crowded. This may just be me talking, but there is a difference between having a realistic game, and having to worry about every detail of human life.
Old May 15, 2001, 09:02   #25
Pedrun
Chieftain

See, we are getting somewhere . We got some common points. Those are:

-AI Personalities - Changeble during the game.

-Tech- Simultaneous tech

-Resources- finites

-Society - We have gotta have public support in democratic governments. I think that to make unpleasent decisions to citzens (like war and increase pollution) the leader must have a certain happiness pre-requisite. This way you cant initiate a war if your civ is not happy. Acting like the Senate in civ2 but less random. Happiness was going to also measure the trust and the regard a pop has to its leader.

-Culture- There has to be some kind of cultural measurent for each city. That varies accordig to improvments, government, religious changes and war (among others things). Conquered city starts with few culture. Cultural Level is a constant happiness moddifier (Ex Cultural level: -6 Happines).

-Relligion - Increase happiness in your city through improvments and wonders. Clerical units that convert cities enemy as a way of getting then by reducing the cultural city level. And this clerics could increase the cultural level of your city.

Anyone against this ideas? We still have to decide about Warfare, Governments, Stockpilling, Time Scale, Economy, Tile Improvments and The map
Old May 15, 2001, 10:32   #26
Mathphysto
Chieftain

Captain - Interesting points about generations, but I think that is a difficult point to model in and of itself. Afterall, how many generations have generally conformed to tradition in the past? You didn't see generational revolutions in medieval Europe, for example. I think that the fall of religion and the rise of science in the past century has allowed change to become more common. Afterall, it was the existential brooding of the beatniks in the 50s that really ignited the revolutions of the 60s. So, if you model the effect of religion as a social sedative which loses power as you gain more techs, you might have a fairly simple yet realistic model of the social motivation for change - which is almost always initiated by the young.

Good ideas by all, btw. I like the idea of an Absolutity index to weight the importance of public opinion.

What about tile improvements, though (assuming we don't have a continuous map)? Should they be built by the business AI? Or should only some (eg - farms) be built by the business AI, while others must be constructed by the State (eg - roads)?

And about trade - what about implementing tariffs, so that a player has a finer degree of control over his/her trade with a foreign power than on/off (embargo)? Also, shouldn't trade be conducted between businesses (except in Communist gvmts, since the State is the capitalist), and the State only gets gold from the tariffs?

Also, it seems that pretty much everyone wants to involve public opinion. But exactly how? It doesn't seem straightforward to me as to how one may model the effects of the economy, religion, national security, crime, education, etc, on the views of the people. One is going to have to introduce many new variables in order to ascribe these new properties to the public. So what should they be? Average income? A National Security Threat Factor (eg - DefCon 1)? Funding for education - assuming you have public education?
Old May 16, 2001, 00:13   #27
Pedrun
Chieftain

Mathphisto i dont think we should be arguing about tile improvments. Although i like to discuss how to make the game better it is already decided by Firaxis. Workers will be. the only thing to decide is if the tile imps will be free (like civ2) or cost something ( ireally hope it cost gold) besides the time and the units.

Trade is half way done (if it isnt done yet). And so far it is better than i imagined.

Public Opinions - I'd like to say my idea again. The publics opinion should be decide by the pop happiness. To declare war you must have a defined amount of happiness (definned by the current government; If the gov is too tiranic the amount is few, if it is Democratic your civ has to be very happy) if you dont have it the action is stopped. War has to decrease the happiness. Loosing units too. So it will be very difficult to declare a 2nd war.

In my ideal game happiness also is changed by the cultural level (Again i think it should be a constant happ modifier - this is a crossig over with the ethnicity idea). That way the happiness will be very changeble during the game, Becoming one of the most important concept. Note that if a civ is too big the happiness decreases according to the cultural level (conquered cities will revolt) and Capital distance. This way reality increases ( big civs like Rome, Turks and Russians did fall because of revolution caused by culture discrepances).
Old May 16, 2001, 01:11   #28
Captain
King

Well, a cool reception for my ideas, but that's alright - I knew they weren't very feasible for a game, but I just wanted to mention them cuz I thought it'd be more realistic if we could somehow incorporate them. It's probably too late for civ 3 but I can always hope for civ 4.
Plus, I realize I only mentioned the ideas without mentioning how to put them into the game. For generations, maybe just a separate indicator of children?

About TIMESCALE, I think it should be shorter and linear. (1turn=1yr?) I don't like the idea of a shortening scale that's only used for tech advances to rep the increasing rate of tech advance. Why not just make the earlier techs take an equal amount beakers instead of having beaker cost rise? Since you make more beakers as time goes on, scientific progress speeds up - then we wouldn't need this contracting timescale.

I know some people will say that this makes the early game boring as you have to wait more turns for needed techs, but it makes the early warfare period much more viable. In the present situation, I never really fight unless my offensive units are way stronger than my rivals (ie. from crusaders until they get musketeers, from cavalry until riflemen, then howitzers). this way, there might actually be ancient battles instead of a race to howitzers. eg. who's going to build a caravel to explore the world when before it completes its trip, you've got destroyers lapping it?

what do you think? would this make the game way too long to be playable?
Old May 16, 2001, 01:50   #29
Captain
King

comments on main ideas so far (comments are mostly on realism, not so much on gameplay):

1) Changing AI, yes! I think every 30-50 yrs is a good idea to replicate the changing of leadership, but not complete unpredictability - it's a skill to be able to 'read' your opponents like in a poker game

2) Shorter Timescale & linear (non-changing), allows more viable ancient warfare & society, solves other time problems, also makes tactical battles a realistic option, possibly makes game too long

3) Map tiles, hex might be interesting, while continuous is more realistic, the tiles are realistic enough since most terrain seems to be grouped into sizeable areas. I don't know how to do it, but a GLOBE would be awesome!

4) Finite resources, yes for non-renewables like oil and gas. Also for rare metals or radioactives. No for renewables like wood, food, etc. That's reality. I like the way Firaxis has the resources not showing up on the map til you research them (no "future" planting of cities)

5) Simultaneous research. It should also be BLIND research, until a breakthrough, then you get a preview and you can then concentrate funding until you get it. I think MOO had something like this.

6) Society, public opinion ideas so far seem really good, simple and doable. Pedrun's ideas are good, but Mathphysto brings up a lot of other good points not covered by Pedrun's model.

7) No FUTURE techs, it's very unpredictable and possibly ridiculous. Only the near future should be allowed.

8) Simultaneous Production. A city doesn't just work on one thing at a time, they can do many. Also, when raising an army, you should be able to convert unlimited civilian units into militia/infantry at a time. More complex units like ships and tanks and planes might take more time, but militia shouldn't. You should be able to raise a huge army (poorly equipped) in one turn.

9) Along those military lines, use the bushel method or subtract a head from city pop when making a military unit, see polmyths thread

10) MORE CIVS!!! 7 is not enough.

11) Separate economy and government. don't know enough about econ to suggest good options. I think the main difference should be level of control, whether free market capitalist or centrally planned communistic.

12) Corporations should control businesses in a free market economy. Govt just gets taxes and impose tarriffs. In a centrally planned communistic one, you control it directly with "crown" or state owned businesses.

13) There was an idea somewhere (I forget where) about building your own government forms. I thought that was cool. It just needs to be simplified.

14) ENERGY. There was already a huge discussion on this before, but I'm putting it up here since Firaxis didn't listen to it. ENERGY must be in any realistic game.

15) Simultaneous Turns (incl battles). Mentioned before elsewhere and I love the idea. In reality, nations don't take 'turns' at battle or movement. this would also prevent the rolling howie attacks with no chance of countering, or the one sided nuking.

16) RELIGION is super important for realism but I have NO clue so far how we could ever implement this in a non-superficial way. Should they be abstracted into conceptual categories or follow historical lines?

17) Same with CULTURE. It's kindof abstract too but needs representation somehow.

18) COMMUNICATION. I know no one else likes this idea, but I still think its important. How about that until you get the radio or telegraph, your units mvt points are reduced once you pass a certain radius from any of your towns? This simulates the elapsed time in getting orders out to distant places.

19) don't remember who mentioned it first, but I like the idea of just plain making the game HARDER. No one's ever conquered the whole world so far, and even holding together a civ for more than a few thousand years is rare! Make me work for victory, or even to survive!

20) Disease, overpop, gender, ethnicity, and generations. Just cuz.

Sorry for the long post - you all have such good ideas!

Old May 16, 2001, 10:27   #30
Mathphysto
Chieftain

Pedrun - I thought that there was a roaming rumor that Civ3 might have an independent business AI. If so, I don't think it's out of the question for Firaxis to give that AI the ability to build some tile improvements. I think that would be very interesting, in making domestic relations more important to a civ's success. Before, the only domestic issues one had to address was the happiness level. Now they're adding culture - but why not business or even religion? These factors would make it harder to survive and succeed.

Captain - Nice list! Good points about simultaneous production and energy. About the "bushel" method of tying military production to the population - it's not a bad idea, but I still like my idea more (of course! ). I wanted a conscription rate instituted, which would be determined by the population (and possibly their average age and health), and a "threat factor" determined by the power of other civs and their diplomatic relations with the player's civ. Then, to build a unit, one would draw X many conscripts from the available pool, plus pay Y gold, and Z material resources.

For example, if a civ has 200,000 citizens available for conscription, then the total number of conscripts in military units may not exceed 200,000. So if a tank unit costs 5,000 conscripts, one could build a max of 40 tank units.

I've also thought that there could be other systematic factors which affect the conscription rate. For example, in civs where religion was powerful, there should be some bonus to the conscription rate. Or if a nation has alot of culture, conscription should increase (I'm going to defend my motherland!).