Old May 19, 2001, 13:12   #1
Arator

Firaxis, Will Civs No Longer Be Rigidly Grouped By Color?
One of the most aggrievating and annoying aspects of the mis-design of Civ II was its arbitrary groupings of civs by COLOR. Because you could not have two civs of the same color in a game, you could NEVER set up a game with say, both Celts and Romans (WHITE), Celts and Russians (WHITE), or French and Germans (BLUE), Spanish and Aztecs (YELLOW), Americans and Chinese (LIGHT BLUE), etc.

Please, Firaxis, I beg you, in Civ III allow us to choose ANY combination of civs up to the maximum allowable number FIRST and then assign colors to them AFTER! You could even allow us to assign the colors (from the set of available colors) ourselves AFTER we select our civs in the set-up. Now THAT would be perfect!

[This message has been edited by Arator (edited May 19, 2001).]

Old May 19, 2001, 13:28   #2
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 20:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I hope so, I'd like to be able to choose any civ combination, not just one of the blue civs and one of the yellow civs
Old May 20, 2001, 09:09   #3
ancient
Prince

oh yes thats always very annoying when playing a game..
Old May 20, 2001, 14:01   #4
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 17:04
I don't know if they're gonna do that. It would be a nice idea, but say you choose too many civs in europe on a small map with historic start locations. How are you gonna fit the English, Celts, Romans, Spanish, French, German, and Russians all in the same slot?

------------------
Goooooooooooood Morning Vietnam!
Old May 20, 2001, 14:05   #5
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 03:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I do really hope so especially as the civs are unique, and Multiplayers would probably have a favorite civ, and It is easier to set up if you just not have to choose the same civ as earlier players, then if you must not choose any civ with the same color as earlier players.

The best for multiplayer is to allow all players to any civ (the same if they won’t to), and that you just have to choose color.
Old May 20, 2001, 14:09   #6
Arator

quote:

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia on 05-20-2001 02:01 PM
I don't know if they're gonna do that. It would be a nice idea, but say you choose too many civs in europe on a small map with historic start locations. How are you gonna fit the English, Celts, Romans, Spanish, French, German, and Russians all in the same slot?

I think that's called a scenario, not a game. Obviously restrictions in civ selection are in order with scenarios, but not with normal game play. That's what I'm talking about.

Old May 20, 2001, 22:51   #7
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 21:04
DEFINATELY. I don't think I could stand having the same old colors matched up with the same civs all the time. BLEH

------------------
"We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
--Thomas A. Edison
Old May 21, 2001, 00:15   #8
joseph1944

As requested. It would be nice to chose the Civ. that we play againt.

------------------

Old May 21, 2001, 01:58   #9
Mister Pleasant

Open the rules.txt file and switch them around.

Old May 21, 2001, 03:25   #10
Jarouik
Warlord

I wish they had 16 different colors, each assigned to a particular civilization, so the Germans would always be blue, the Greeks black etc... if anybody here still remembers Civnet, in it you could choose any combination of seven nations out of 14 but there were only seven different colors, so the color a specific civ had would change between games. I, however, always liked the idea that each civ has its own color, and after playing Civ 1 I found it confusing to have the colors change in Civnet every time I started a new game. Also, this would make sense if they made the maximum number of civs in one game 16, although I doubt they will do that and will be fine without it.
Old May 21, 2001, 05:29   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
Nations should have unique flags not rely on these naff colours. Lets move into the 21st Century - it only takes a little artwork.
Old May 21, 2001, 05:44   #12
Jarouik
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Grumbold on 05-21-2001 05:29 AM
Nations should have unique flags not rely on these naff colours. Lets move into the 21st Century - it only takes a little artwork.

Although I have nothing against national flags, it is a lot easier to instantly distinguish the different civs in graphs, on the map etc. if they are assigned a particular color each, which is consistently used to indicate that nation's cities, units and any other stats visible in any of the screens.
Old May 21, 2001, 06:57   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Jarouik on 05-21-2001 05:44 AM
Although I have nothing against national flags, it is a lot easier to instantly distinguish the different civs in graphs, on the map etc. if they are assigned a particular color each, which is consistently used to indicate that nation's cities, units and any other stats visible in any of the screens.

I totally agree - wasn't thinking about the graph, border and minimap. The colours there will need to be crisp and configurable by the player(s) to ensure maximum contrast between neighbours.
Old May 21, 2001, 11:13   #14
ember
Warlord

I strongly agree with the national flags idea. When too many colours are used, It can become very difficult for colour-deficient people (like myself) to tell the units of two civilizations apart...
This is, of course, a bad thing.
Old May 21, 2001, 11:34   #15
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 06:34
Definetley requiered.
A really small thing to implement and can create large changes
Old May 21, 2001, 22:15   #16
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Arator

You obviously can't see the possible implications of not haveing rigit color groups. I agree with the random colors, but only in certain instances.
Old May 22, 2001, 13:01   #17
tniem
King

Colors and civs definitely need to be seperated. We had ways on this forum to distinguish 32 different civs just in case Firaxis allowed us to do so. Now if we have 16 civs there is no way that we should lose 8 that we can't play with because we have the other one in the color selected. I don't think Firaxis would do that to us.
Old May 22, 2001, 14:03   #18
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 21:04
Wow, I never even realized that limitation was there. I agree with the original post.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old May 22, 2001, 14:07   #19
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

As long as we don't use the CTP "ever-blue" style
Old May 22, 2001, 17:45   #20
ajbera
Prince

Local Time: 01:04
Quote:
Originally posted by ember
I strongly agree with the national flags idea. When too many colours are used, It can become very difficult for colour-deficient people (like myself) to tell the units of two civilizations apart...
This is, of course, a bad thing.
Here here! I started a thread to address this topic a while ago. No definite conclusions were reached, and of course we heard nothing from Firaxis, but the issue is quite important to the chromatically challenged. We're handicapped and we need help. At the very least, ensuring that we can identify a unit's civilization by right-clicking the unit would be invaluable.
Old May 22, 2001, 18:27   #21
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

The flags sound like a good idea. Another one would be stadards (lie the roman eagle) But how would each unit hold the flag?
Old May 22, 2001, 21:38   #22
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
The flags sound like a good idea. Another one would be stadards (lie the roman eagle) But how would each unit hold the flag?
The phalanx would have it on his shield. The tank would have it painted on the front of the vechile. A plane on the wing. A chariot would have it on the side of it.

Firaxis might have to be creative but they could put it on the actual units.
Old May 22, 2001, 21:43   #23
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Well, it might get a little small (i think the phalanx already has something on its shield anyway) Also, how are you going to put a flag on ship without it being too small?
Old May 22, 2001, 21:45   #24
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Wouldn't editing city.txt file or using St. Leo's Tribe Editor accomplish the same thing ? Why not have it built into the new game ?
Old May 22, 2001, 21:55   #25
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:04
I do like the idea of being able to choose my own country's color at the beginning of the game!

Last edited by Wittlich; May 25, 2001 at 15:08.
Old May 22, 2001, 22:03   #26
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Definitley Needed
This should be in the game, for it is supposed to be an improvement- it does not seem as if this feature would take too long for the programmers to implement.

In fact, you should be able to choose from a whole pastel of colors for your civs- at least 24 choices are needed.
Old May 23, 2001, 14:50   #27
JosefGiven
Warlord

Re: Definitley Needed
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
This should be in the game, for it is supposed to be an improvement- it does not seem as if this feature would take too long for the programmers to implement.

In fact, you should be able to choose from a whole pastel of colors for your civs- at least 24 choices are needed.
Indeed, and there ought to be an alternative colour for the barbarians, so we can choose red if we want to. Ideal for us commies!
Old May 23, 2001, 17:34   #28
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to mix-and-match the civilisations without being constrained by the colour groups they belong to. Something that in the present day isn't really necessary.
Old May 23, 2001, 23:41   #29
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

As long as they keep the editing mech simple, like in CivII MGE even a computer illiterate like me can place any civs into the line up. The entire editing mech should be as user friendly as possible.
Old May 25, 2001, 15:02   #30
Arator
Warlord

Local Time: 19:04
Bump to Dan from Firaxis!