Ironclad Strategy 15 68.18%
Crusaders Offensive 0 0%
Diplomat Espionage Tactic 3 13.64%
Build up a Cannons/Cavalry Force 4 18.18%
Share bananas with the AI (peace in our time) 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2, 2002, 03:47   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Vote on our future war plans.
Time to vote on our upcoming wartime movements. Three day poll. See the Official Military Debate Thread for all the ideas, but here are some of them explained:

1. Superclad option
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
1. They are unaffected by city walls, and should thus have a much much better kill ratio than even cavalry would, and
2. This effectiveness means we will need far fewer unit to conquer the desired territory.

Just a few ironclads to pop the defenders, and a few land units to move into the undefended cities. Voila! Conquest.

Using fewer units means there will be no need to alter production of improvements and camel breeding in our core cities. Ergo, our borders expand while our cities get richer.
See the Military Debate thread for an analysis of the attack/defense values to consider here.

2. Crusader option

Basically, we continue attacking, but this time all the cities are Walled. This is a tricky option that no-one has posted in favour for yet. See the Military Debate Thread for an analysis of the attack/defense values to consider here.

3. Diplomat option(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear
Pillage their land, siege a city, destroy everything possible with diplomats, and wait.

Just wait.

And some more.

And a bit more..

Ah ha! Civil disorder!

Now bribe 'em

Ok, its not as quick as Ironclads, and a bit more complicated than diplomats, but at least our casualty stats stay pretty low..

Remember, once the siege is set up, we can put all our effort into flattening the evil Egyptians.
or;

Quote:
Originally posted by JCP
My contributions in these different links was not only a Diplo plan but a mix of diplos and military units.
I'm for a diplo plan against Egyptians : Thebes is the nearest city of them but has walls : I agree that wall destruction may cost several diplos, with assigned objective, but if we take it (by crusader after wall destruction) , the last Egyptian cities will be very cheap and easier to bribe than to conquer by force.
This plan take in account that Ironclads are not yet available and that the navigation to Thebes from our main productive cities is long (even via Panama Canal )!

If you want a plan involving use of the diplomats to investigate cities or destroy the Walls in our targets, this is your option.

4. Wait for Cannons/Cavalry
Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us

I don't think we have enough information on troop locations to create a good plan of action. I think we should take a few crusaders and test the deefenses of the enemy, if they prove too much, say three crusader in a row get killed, then I suggest waiting for the development of metallurgy and sending 5-6 cannons at one city at a time. of course those units will require gaurds, but if we really have an excess of units in all of our cities than taking one from each of the three cities on the continent with A&E wouldn't require building more.

oh yeah and...

SQUISH THEM
CORRECTION...

Quote:
BTW I would like to make a change to my plan; instead of sending crusaders to test the water we can send the diplomats to get definate info on the cities before we attack them. if we do this I suggest making screenshots of the enemy cities available to all. hope that makes sense (I'm almost asleep now)
5. Hope for the AI to agree with a treaty or just stay where we are and defend ourselves.

This is a fairly simple option. Just not likely, given Deity MGE! Also this would mean more units would need to stay outside of cities - bad for future government "evolutions".

Needless to say, check out the Military Debate thread for a more complete set of arguments for and against these options. If you have anything to add, please do so. Once the broad option is voted for, go and vote in the poll on which city to attack/whether we attack at all.

I don't think anything more specific than this is needed right now, as it will take time to build the diplos or ironclads/research the necessary techs.[

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; June 2, 2002 at 06:42.
Old June 2, 2002, 05:41   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 03:50
As I said in the other thread, clads is the best option
Old June 2, 2002, 06:20   #3
Space05us
King

ahem.... you quoted me correctly but I had made a couple of changes to that plan. For one instead of using Crusaders to test the defenses we would just use diplos to investigate, if the defending units are weak enough to be taken by crusaders then destroy the walls and attack, if not than wait for the invention of cannons (my dwarven slave shop is working at full speed to produce a prototype) and procede with the plan.
Old June 2, 2002, 06:44   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Sorry space... (can I call you space? )

I have added your later quote.
The ppl must be kept fully aware. At least as much as I feel they must be aware.....

Minister of WAR, not peace.
MrWIA.

Old June 2, 2002, 06:54   #5
Space05us
King

Actually yes you may call me Space I'd prefer it (space was already taken when I signed up for the forum)

and ummm..... don't give them anymore info than they ne... want that is
Old June 2, 2002, 07:15   #6
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:50
The foriegn Minister will give his advice on this matter once he gets to see the gamesave from the president.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 2, 2002, 11:30   #7
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
The foriegn Minister will give his advice on this matter once he gets to see the gamesave from the president.
It's been sent.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 2, 2002, 11:39   #8
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:50
OT: How do you use those custom smileys (like the Bond one)?
Old June 2, 2002, 18:30   #9
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

he's linking the image from another site. IMG src="http://www.hateseed.com/phpBB/images/smiles/double0smile" howeverm you need to use < before the IMG tag and > after the second "
Old June 2, 2002, 18:30   #10
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

he's linking the image from another site. IMG src="http://www.hateseed.com/phpBB/images/smiles/double0smile" howeverm you need to use < before the IMG tag and > after the second "
Old June 2, 2002, 19:05   #11
Space05us
King

regardless of wich ever plan we're going to use I say attack in force, don't divide the units

Old June 2, 2002, 20:08   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
regardless of wich ever plan we're going to use I say attack in force, don't divide the units

Why not? We have plenty of units; 3 Ironclads and 3 Crusaders sounds good, but 6 Ironclads and 6 Crusaders is overkill.
Old June 2, 2002, 20:17   #13
Space05us
King

shi... stuff happens we might need all of the units,
Old June 2, 2002, 20:24   #14
Kuciwalker
Deity

How would this stuff happen? If the 3 Ironclads kill all of the units, and kill any new units built, what could happen to our Crusaders?
Old June 2, 2002, 20:27   #15
Space05us
King

I don't know... I just don't like the idea of dividing our forces, I guess it's because of actual history (the same reason for my not liking relying so heavily on the navy)
Old June 2, 2002, 20:33   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

Our ground forces will face no opposition. He...ck, we could just use 1 Crusader per target and it would go the same. 6 Crusaders and 6 Ironclads is just too much, and wastes time. Plus, we'd be splitting our forces anyway, because some units would have to stay behind at the first city to protect the new city.
Old June 2, 2002, 20:38   #17
Space05us
King

I just like overkilling I guess...

why did you change your avatar? I was getting used to you being a helicopter.
Old June 2, 2002, 20:40   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

I'll change it back, if you like. Actually, I'll hold a poll; anything to increase my post count
Old June 2, 2002, 20:46   #19
Space05us
King

I don't mind, I meant to put a in there but I forgot. why do you want to increase your post count?
Old June 2, 2002, 20:47   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

I want to get a higher rank and I want to have a custom avatar.
Old June 2, 2002, 20:49   #21
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Quote:
Our ground forces will face no opposition. He...ck, we could just use 1 Crusader per target and it would go the same. 6 Crusaders and 6 Ironclads is just too much, and wastes time. Plus, we'd be splitting our forces anyway, because some units would have to stay behind at the first city to protect the new city
yes,that sounds like a great strategy,send 1 crusader to each target to get killed.you should be elected dictator-for-life for your brilliance.

*sarcasm detector explodes*

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old June 2, 2002, 20:50   #22
Space05us
King

so quit posting spam here and post on the CTP forum instead.
Old June 2, 2002, 21:01   #23
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
so quit posting spam here and post on the CTP forum instead
HERETIC!!!!! BURN HIM!!!!!!!

The thing is, here it's not quite spam, so I won't get in trouble.
Old June 2, 2002, 21:04   #24
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
I'll change it back, if you like. Actually, I'll hold a poll; anything to increase my post count
That explains a lot of your recent posts...

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 2, 2002, 21:09   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

Yes, it does, doesn't it?
Old June 2, 2002, 22:29   #26
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Cool it everyone, lest I send you to the Bathymetric survey somewhere North of the Carthaginian Empire. You'll be wracked with scurvy and constantly in danger of vicious pillaging sodomizing barbarians....

Or even worse, the CTP forum.

Minister of WAR, not peace.
MrWIA.

Old June 3, 2002, 00:49   #27
Space05us
King

Can i start a fleet of elite pirates to plunder all the riches the northern seas have to offer? It would be my honor to be the first Apolytonian up there!
Old June 3, 2002, 09:18   #28
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

About 4 or 5 ironclads should do it., remembering to stop along the way to pick up vet status. Then send in ground forces (2-move units to to grab the city, 1-move defenders following to hold it).

If we take Thebes first, bribery becomes a very viable option for the rest of Egypt, while we cure our 'clads and prep ground troops for the assault on America.

I think we should also be polling for the order in which we will steal our soon-to-be new techs. (See Hydey's reports for that list.) And remember not to waste time researching those we are about to get for free!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 5, 2002, 06:12   #29
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 03:50
Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
If we take Thebes first, bribery becomes a very viable option for the rest of Egypt, while we cure our 'clads and prep ground troops for the assault on America.
That's exactly the meaning of my proposals !