Old June 2, 2002, 11:55   #1
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Q/FEAT. REQ: insertion point insertions
I find myself replying to post quite often, using the quote feature to get text I'm replying to pre-pasted in the edit widget. However, there are some problems associated with this:

1) If you want to use the text style inidcators (bold. italics aso) it invariable pastes the styled text at the very end of the text widget, not at the current insertion point. This goes for smilies as well, of course.

It would be very nice if these could happen at the current insertion point instead of at the end of the text. Any chance of that happening?

2) When you reply to several blocks of quoted text you end up with typing a lot of QUOTE and /QUOTE (I omitted the brackets here) to separate their comments from yours. I'd be nice if you could paste thes to in from buttons just like smilies, although to be useful that'd have to happen at the current insertion point to. I've tried to get this to happen with the Close Current Tag button, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any chance of this getting in? As is I find it easier and faster to reply to different parts of the same message in several posts, quoting the relevant bits in each...
Old June 2, 2002, 14:35   #2
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

I would also like the thingies to be put in at the current insertion point - it still surprises me when it doesn't.

As for writing QUOTE lots - you can shorten it to just q and /q (in square brackets).
Old June 2, 2002, 15:57   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:51
I used to be annoyed by those things (appearing down the bottom of messages only, etc) but I almost always type everything in myself now. Most of the widely-used smileys are easy to remmeber, and quotes are very quick to type too. Not the one you use, but the quicker [q]Quote text in here.[/q] method. (brackets included)
Old June 2, 2002, 18:52   #4
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:51
Quote:
It would be very nice if these could happen at the current insertion point instead of at the end of the text.
as far as i know this can not be done with the current possibilities of javascript(that is used to insert the tag)
Old June 3, 2002, 07:36   #5
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I'm sorry to hear that. Would have been nifty if it was possible. Still, if it doesn't work then it doesn't work.

Apolyton client, anyone?
Old June 3, 2002, 15:03   #6
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Another issue is losing quotes within quotes when you quote someone. Sounds confusing...but do you understand me. Seems like this would be fixable. Not a current insertion issue.
Old June 3, 2002, 16:02   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Just change all the [quote] and [/quote] tags to read [q] and [/q] instead. Easy

It would be good if the insertion script used the [q] tags however, so that everyone's quotes would work out properly... although on second though that might mean that quotes would keep piling up... ?
Old June 3, 2002, 16:03   #8
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Im an example quote.
Quote:
This is the second quote.
Quote:
This is a third quote... don't want too many of these.
Now back to the original quote again.
Old June 3, 2002, 16:50   #9
moomin
King

An Apolyton Avalanche. The mind boggles.

But I agree. Nested quotes - up to say three levels would be nice.
Old June 3, 2002, 18:15   #10
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Just change all the [quote] and
tags to read [q] and [/q] instead. Easy

It would be good if the insertion script used the [q] tags however, so that everyone's quotes would work out properly... although on second though that might mean that quotes would keep piling up... ? [/QUOTE]

Duh! I want to get the nested quotes automatically.