Old June 2, 2002, 12:54   #1
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Please clarify how to acquire the 3 types of resources
I'm not quite sure how to acquire the 3 natural resources: Bonus, Luxury, and Strategic. So I'll ask about each one.

(1) Bonus - Example Gold. It has to be within your city radius (the basic X), right? Do you have to send a worker to mine it? Or just click your citizens to the square? Do you have to build a road to it from the capital square? And if by chance it is outside your city, you can't use the colony to bring it in, can you?

(2) Luxury - Example Incense. Even if it is inside the city, you have to build a road to it, don't you? Or can you just have a citizen placed on it? If it is outside, you can build a road and set up a colony, right? What if you just have a worker build a road to it there and no colony?

(3) Strategic - Example Iron. (It appears only after you get Iron Working, I know.) But after it appears, if it is inside your city radius, do you have to have a worker mine it? Build a road to it? And if it is outside the city, have a worker build a road and set up a colony? Can you do it without a colony?

I know these questions sound elementary, but I think knowing about these is basic. Would appreciate any help you can offer.

sboog
Old June 2, 2002, 13:14   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 20:51
bonus: in city radius. all it does is add more food / shields / trade. like the normal civ2 resource. you dont have to mine it or anything, but it improves the bonus,

strategic: in your borders. doesnt have to be in city radius. build a road to it.

luxury: same as strategic.
Old June 2, 2002, 13:42   #3
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Please clarify how to acquire the 3 types of resources
Quote:
Originally posted by sboog

(1) Bonus - Example Gold. It has to be within your city radius (the basic X), right? Do you have to send a worker to mine it? Or just click your citizens to the square? Do you have to build a road to it from the capital square? And if by chance it is outside your city, you can't use the colony to bring it in, can you?
Correct: needs to be in city radius, no mining or road required, just put a citizen on it. Outside city: useless.

Quote:
(2) Luxury - Example Incense. Even if it is inside the city, you have to build a road to it, don't you? Or can you just have a citizen placed on it? If it is outside, you can build a road and set up a colony, right? What if you just have a worker build a road to it there and no colony?
If your city is placed directly on the lux tile, you don't need a road (all cities have road inside them), otherwise build a road. If outside your borders, you need a colony + road. Borders meaning here borders of your whole territory, not the city radius.

Quote:
(3) Strategic - Example Iron. (It appears only after you get Iron Working, I know.) But after it appears, if it is inside your city radius, do you have to have a worker mine it? Build a road to it? And if it is outside the city, have a worker build a road and set up a colony? Can you do it without a colony?
To access them, see rules for luxury. No mining required.

BTW, if one city has access to a luxury or strategic resource you need to have a road from that city to your capitol, to be able to profit from it in other cities. All cities connected to the capitol will get the benefits. If you don't have roads, you can connect cities by harbours.
Old June 2, 2002, 22:37   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
And airports.

Also, if you are at peace with an AI civ, their roads and harbors (not sure about airports) can be part of the logistics network that gets resources to your capitol, and thus distributed to your cities.

If you go to war with that civ, or, I think enter into a trade embargo in either direction, that shared logistics capability goes away.

Lastly, in certain cases you may NOT want to build a road to a strategic resource, as some of them can be depleted in time. Iron and coal are the ones I've seen disappear the most often. So , if you have two sources, it might make sense to only connect to one.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 3, 2002, 02:33   #5
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 12:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If a Luxury or Strategic resource are located in a city radius, and the tile containing the resource is worked, they also behave like Bonus resources. For example, the Coal strategic resource produces +2 shields, and the Wine luxury resource produces 1 food and 2 commerce.

I have a city in my current game with saltpeter, rubber and coal in its radius. The city is one of those inhospitable mountain cities that won't ever get larger than size 8, but I can work all 3 tiles. (The city was built before I discovered the techs for the resources, which makes it all the better...)

Edit: Wine is not a strategic resource...
Old June 3, 2002, 16:34   #6
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 18:51
Unclear about depletion of strategic resources. Before 1.21, non connection did delay the start of the clock on the availability of the resource. Firaxis claimed to change that in 1.21. Game play seems to indicate there is a slight difference in usage whether roaded strategic resource or not. But have not measured it. After 1.21 strategic resources will definitely relocate eventually, even if not roaded.
Old June 4, 2002, 17:11   #7
sboog
Warlord

Thanks for your help. But sorry. Still confused.

sboog
Old June 4, 2002, 17:31   #8
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Okay:

To get a strategic resource:
- If it is within your cultural borders, run a road form it to your city (also put road on the actual resource square).
- If it is outside your cultural borders, run a road up to it from your city and place a colony on it.

To get a luxury resource:
Same as above.

To get a bonus resource:
- The bonus resource must be inside your city radius; it only gives benefits to that city. If you have played Civ2, bonus resources are like the resources in Civ2: They just give a "bonus" to foo, shields, or trade in the city that is working that tile.
Old June 4, 2002, 19:15   #9
Coracle
Prince

Colonies are rather worthless as even if they are garrisoned colonies they vanish if a rival civ builds a town nearby that overruns the colony - which should be an act of war but isn't. I consider this another bug.
Old June 4, 2002, 19:21   #10
aebrahim
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:51
I have a question about luxuries:

How do these work exactly? Is it that every luxury you have benefits all the cities in your empire that the city that contains it is connected to?

Also, are different luxuries worth more than other luxuries?

If we have more than one of each luxury, does that increase happiness within our own empire?

Thanks.
Old June 4, 2002, 22:58   #11
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Colonies are rather worthless as even if they are garrisoned colonies they vanish if a rival civ builds a town nearby that overruns the colony - which should be an act of war but isn't. I consider this another bug.
It might not be that bad if you could get the worker back, even then its pretty worthless.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 4, 2002, 23:03   #12
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by aebrahim
I have a question about luxuries:

How do these work exactly? Is it that every luxury you have benefits all the cities in your empire that the city that contains it is connected to?
Yes.

Quote:
Also, are different luxuries worth more than other luxuries?
No.

Quote:
If we have more than one of each luxury, does that increase happiness within our own empire?

Thanks.
No. Each type of luxury turns one content face into a happy face in every city that is connected to it. Extras of the same type of luxuries have absolutely no use in your empire, other than trading away to other civs.
Old June 4, 2002, 23:26   #13
aebrahim
Chieftain

If they're all worth the same, then why in negatiations are some luxuries worth more (more costly) than others?
Old June 4, 2002, 23:28   #14
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
So , if you have two sources (of a strategic resource), it might make sense to only connect (build a road) to one .
Are you sure that leaving a strategic resource unconnected means it can't disappear?
Old June 4, 2002, 23:42   #15
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by aebrahim
If they're all worth the same, then why in negatiations are some luxuries worth more (more costly) than others?
They aren't. However, a variety of factors affects whether or not the AI will trade you evenly (one for one). These include (but are not necessarily limited to): reputation, that particular AI's feelings towards you, difficulty level, empire size, (if your empire is twice the size of theirs, then each luxury is twice as useful to you as it is to them), and how many luxuries you each already have (with a marketplace, luxuries gain value with each new type you get. Of the eight, the first two will make one person happy, the next will make 2 people happy and so on, with a possibility of up to 20 happy faces).
Old June 4, 2002, 23:43   #16
punkbass2000
King

Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi

Are you sure that leaving a strategic resource unconnected means it can't disappear?
I'm pretty sure of this. The theory behind disappearing resources is that if you're using them, they may run out. No road means you're not using them.
Old June 4, 2002, 23:45   #17
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I believe as of 1.21 resources still dissapear when not connected. I am unsure, however, if they have the same probability of doing this as linked resources.
Old June 5, 2002, 00:48   #18
aebrahim
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000

They aren't. However, a variety of factors affects whether or not the AI will trade you evenly (one for one). These include (but are not necessarily limited to): reputation, that particular AI's feelings towards you, difficulty level, empire size, (if your empire is twice the size of theirs, then each luxury is twice as useful to you as it is to them), and how many luxuries you each already have (with a marketplace, luxuries gain value with each new type you get. Of the eight, the first two will make one person happy, the next will make 2 people happy and so on, with a possibility of up to 20 happy faces).
Thanks! This makes things a lot clearer. I had been confused about this forever now.
Old June 5, 2002, 01:29   #19
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 18:51
I thought that a Firaxian confirmed somewhere here at Apolyton that connecting resources has absolutely no effect on the likelihood of disappearence. I don't want to search for the quote though, and it wouldn't be the first time I misremembered . . .

And although I don't have a saved game, I did see a source of uranium disapppear from my territory only a few short turns after discovering Fission -- before I had a chance to build a road to it.

Catt