Old June 2, 2002, 14:48   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Seriously
Are you hoping that Sid restarts development on this game, or has closing this forum down slipped your mind?
Old June 2, 2002, 15:10   #2
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:51
Didn't you see what happened to the last person who started a thread like this.

And to address your comment, it isn't like this section gets much traffic so there is no immediate need to close it. Furthermore, Sid had said that he would like to resume production if he can think of a way to make it fun on the level of his past games.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 2, 2002, 15:33   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yeah. I'm seeing the point of this forum would be to make suggestions on what sort of game they could possibly design that would be fun. Involving dinosaurs.
Old June 2, 2002, 16:42   #4
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

DinoPark Tycoon was fun. But Sid really doesn't want to make that type of game.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 2, 2002, 17:51   #5
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 03:51
why not, he made simgolf, add dino's to that, and you got dinopark tycoon...kinda..
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old June 2, 2002, 19:43   #6
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 11:51
I would love a game about dinosaurs. I hope they do make one.
Old June 2, 2002, 22:00   #7
Apocalypse
Emperor

Sid hates sequels, Lemmy, which is why he would not make Dinos like SimGolf.
Old June 2, 2002, 23:44   #8
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Sid hates sequels, Lemmy, which is why he would not make Dinos like SimGolf.
Ah but that does not mean he won't have his peons at Firaxis doing it for him.
Old June 3, 2002, 00:25   #9
Apocalypse
Emperor

Then you got another disappointment like Civ3, which I doubt Sid wants to go through again.
Old June 3, 2002, 16:22   #10
tniem
King

Quote:
Then you got another disappointment like Civ3, which I doubt Sid wants to go through again.
If I were Sid, I would want to go through the 'disappointment' of Civ III again. Firaxis has maintained that the sales numbers have been spectacular. They are releasing an XP. It has even gotten critical acclaim. Just because I don't think it is a very good game, especially compared to his past work does not mean that it was not a financial success and when it comes right down to it, that would be enough to go through making it again.
Old June 3, 2002, 17:00   #11
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 03:51
Quote:
If I were Sid,
i would just stop making games, since it would be impossible to live up to the legend created around me, and just retire to some nice tropic island
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old June 3, 2002, 17:16   #12
Apocalypse
Emperor

Many people were disappointed with Civ3. It did well because of the series. If he is associated with another disappointment, even more people will be asking for his head just like people did with John Romero after Daikatana.
Old June 14, 2002, 14:28   #13
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Didn't you see what happened to the last person who started a thread like this.
No, I didn't see it because.. well.. because I usually never come here.

But I really was curious if anyone has the inside scoop concerning Sid's possible intentions to start development again. Dinosaurs had seemed interesting, but I wonder if CivIII just took precedence, and not, that it just wasn't fun.

That excuse seems a bit silly to me.

Or maybe with Brian Reynolds gone, the fun did get sucked out of the project.

RoN
Old June 14, 2002, 20:03   #14
Apocalypse
Emperor

It was stopped because Sid couldn't make it fun. He started work on SimGolf after Dinosaurs!.
Old June 15, 2002, 03:49   #15
Sarxis
Emperor

Quote:
It was stopped because Sid couldn't make it fun. He started work on SimGolf after Dinosaurs!.
From what I understood of Civ3's development, Sid had hardly anything to do with it.. except play testing.

I wonder how true this was of Dinos?
Old June 15, 2002, 11:59   #16
Apocalypse
Emperor

Sid had a lot to do with Dinos. He made a few versions of it, three of them very detailed. He didn't think any of these versions would make a great game so he went on to become heavily involved in SimGolf.