Old June 3, 2001, 05:46   #151
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 03:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkknight
Eventually you're going to be colonising there as well so why build a colony (1pop) then later a city (2pop) spending 3pop points when you can build a city and get all the benfits of that while spending just 2pop.
Because some resources may be in areas not suited for cities.
Old June 7, 2001, 10:37   #152
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 21:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I think colonies will be used a lot earlier in the game, and not so much later.
Old June 8, 2001, 11:48   #153
KrazyHorse
Deity

The thing I would really like to see developed further is the trade sub-network idea. It would be nice if each city would be able to build different units, depending on whether or not it itself was connected to the required resources. Foreign trade (for required resources) would have to take place only between sub-networks connected to each other.

Quote:
From the Game Revolution Preview:
"Gone are the tiresome caravans and freight units. Instead, simply connecting two cities with a road (or building ports in both of them if they are coastal) establishes trade routes"
I'm sorta glad about this. Trade caravans basically took up the entire game, and if you knew how to use them properly, you had an unbeatable edge.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 11, 2001, 03:57   #154
Jarouik
Warlord

Local Time: 03:04
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
The thing I would really like to see developed further is the trade sub-network idea. It would be nice if each city would be able to build different units, depending on whether or not it itself was connected to the required resources. Foreign trade (for required resources) would have to take place only between sub-networks connected to each other.
I thought this was exactly the case with Civ 3 already... has it not been established that e.g. Iron is only available in the cities connected to an Iron resource, and you can only trade Iron from a neighbor if you have a connection to a network of his which is connected to Iron resource? Some cities might have access to different resources than other cities, if they are not connected. I think you can even see in the city-screen screenshots that for each city it is shown what resources are available there.
Old June 12, 2001, 10:38   #155
KrazyHorse
Deity

Unfortunately, no. It's been stated that a resource need only be connected to your capitol in order to be available to all of your cities.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 12, 2001, 10:46   #156
C. Gerhardt
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:04
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Unfortunately, no. It's been stated that a resource need only be connected to your capitol in order to be available to all of your cities.

I thought it said that you have to connect al your cities to the resource for construction and if connected to your capital if needed to trade.

I´m getting a bit now!
Old June 12, 2001, 11:01   #157
KrazyHorse
Deity

Really? I might well be wrong. I'll try to find the review I saw this in.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 12, 2001, 11:14   #158
KrazyHorse
Deity

You're right, Gerhardt. I went to the firaxis page, and in the resources update (11/05/01) they say "For example, if there is an iron tile anywhere within your borders, all of your cities that are connected to that tile via road will have access to iron". This still leaves the fact (according to you) that the resource needs to be connected to your capitol in order to be traded with other civs. I don't see the necessity of this; If French colonies in Quebec wanted to trade furs for tobacco from the British colonies in Vrginia, did they have to connect their resources back to Paris and London, respectively?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 13, 2001, 03:10   #159
MORON
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
Why waste time building culture points when it does not affect city production and cheap colonies deal with the resources? Since culture building is slow, it is unlikely for early cities to expend onto a resource square and most likely most players either will build a new city or a colony over the resource square.

I'll just save the money on culture and RUSH the lamers. Culture is useless when you are dead.
Old June 13, 2001, 03:58   #160
Kurgan
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:04
If you establish a colony, and later it falls under the cultural/political boundaries of another civ, Will you have a casus belli?, Will the presence of a colony prevent the engulfment of that territory under the borders of other powers?, If it falls under the borders of another civ, will you still get the resource, as if it were a "concession"?

I think that colonies should mean that a "kind" of territorial ownership is implied.

Also it would be rewarding that once you build a colony it did not disappear as long as your borders do not shrink, so it look much better to have the graphics of the colonies than just the resource and the road connecting it to the cities.

Does anyone knows if this part of the mini-tutorial means that any city connected to one resource will be able to have access to it "For example, if there is an iron tile anywhere within your borders, all of your cities that are connected to that tile via road will have access to iron". For me this means it, and there is no need (as I have read somewhere else) that the resource be connected to the capitol.
Old June 13, 2001, 07:13   #161
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 20:04
I think the main reason for using colonies will be because you can't build as many cities as you desire to for cultural and economic reasons.

But has anyone noticed the apparent abundance of resources in all the screenshots? How could you ever have to trade for ANYTHING. The dang things are all over the place.
Old June 13, 2001, 09:41   #162
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I dunno, my question is how are these resources going to work quantitively, ie, will one resource of iron be able to support the construction of 1 tank or 3 legions at once, for example or could one resource of iron support just the general construction of those units possessing that resource? I like the concept, it would be nice to know some of the intricacies, although I suppose it is good that they withhold a lot of the information, makes the game more of a mystery when we receive it rather than have huge chunks of information and have figured out major strategies before we even start playing it.

I like some of the implications of the locations of resources, ie, central America would have no horses in the real world, thus they would not be able to build any mounted units, ie, the Europeans. But native Americans will eventually be able to trade for horses so they too could build mounted units!

My interest has always been regarding colonies oversees...I presume they would be able to ship back resources to a city with a harbour, so this would work like the colonies of North America, for example.
Old June 13, 2001, 09:43   #163
Provost Harrison
Deity

To add. It may be interesting to ship some rare resource from a totally distant area of the world which is not abundant in your area of land, and this would be useful later in the game where establishing a city would be too much of a nuisance...yeah, I can see interesting uses for these colonies already; so you don't have to control some distant city and all the problems that would bring...
Old June 13, 2001, 11:56   #164
Provost Harrison
Deity

I just thought of another question. I presume there will be resources out at sea which are beyond the reach of cities. Would it be possible for some form of getting at these to be available later on in the game? For example, we now get oil from underneath the sea by constructing offshore oil platforms...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 13, 2001, 16:18   #165
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 20:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I just thought of another question. I presume there will be resources out at sea which are beyond the reach of cities. Would it be possible for some form of getting at these to be available later on in the game? For example, we now get oil from underneath the sea by constructing offshore oil platforms...
I hope this is true, at least about oil resources, there isn't much deep-sea metal mining. Oil resources however should be limited to shallow or medium depth water as it is only the continental shelf that holds offshore nat. gas or oil reserves
Old June 14, 2001, 04:13   #166
C. Gerhardt
Chieftain

Maybe it´s possible if you make certain enhancements in the advance capabilities!

For example:

#1 After you discovered "oceanfaring" your abel to build the "harbor"city-impr. Immediatly you´ll see a thin darkblue line appear allong your coasts streching from one end of your country-border to the other end, 1 tile out of the coastline. Every city whit a harbor now get its pop-# of randomly selected squares inside this line for harvesting "food".

#2 After you discover "Deep sea fishing", available after e.g. "Industrialization" the darkblue line goes directly in between of two or more landmasses. Now you must build a port to get the extra "food".

#3 After you have build an offshore platform in your cities and the earlier mentioned conditions also comply for "shields" ,"trade-arrows" and special resources.

Alternative for special resources:

Capable of building fishing boats and offshore platforms for building "sea colonies" when you discover the acquired tech.
Old June 14, 2001, 04:50   #167
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
Also it would be rewarding that once you build a colony it did not disappear as long as your borders do not shrink, so it look much better to have the graphics of the colonies than just the resource and the road connecting it to the cities.
I fully agree: if not for cleaning map for usability reasons, what's the point of colony disappear if inside your new borders?

Too much things disappear in a second in Civ 3, while e.g. the whole concept of great Civ history is supported by visible Ruins

You fight a great battle, then what? No corpses, no sign... A city is pillaged to death, then... nothing if not lasting for ever infrastructures (some roads, irrigated fields) in the middle of nothing.

How about a dead unit left on tile for a turn or two, the ruin of a disbanded/pillaged city left for 10 or 20 turns...

I builded a f*ck&d colony losing a pop point worth workers and you clean it from map in a second?
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old June 14, 2001, 05:21   #168
C. Gerhardt
Chieftain

Supplement:

Quote:
Originally posted by C. Gerhardt
#2 After you discover "Deep sea fishing", available after e.g. "Industrialization" the darkblue line goes directly in between of two or more landmasses.
With a max. of 5 or 6 tiles. For everything further out at sea you will have to build a fishing boats or an offshore platform!!!

Probably better this way.