Old June 2, 2002, 15:43   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 17:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A Grand Day
Okay, I started writing this story three months ago, then I stopped because I got a new game. This is the first time in a long time I've been to the stories forum. It has grown very much. Anyway, when I wrote this story, there wasn't another one anything like it. Now, there are zillions of stories out there and I don't know if mine is a lot like another one, so to me this story is very unique and creative but to you guys it might seem like I'm copying someone else. So here goes.

A Grand Day
by John McLeod

Note: On my computer I changed the helicopter to a transport plane that can hold several units Also, each unit is one battalion. And, I would like to say one turn equals 24 hours but it doesn't; I made night and day to add to the effect. A turn is usually 12 hours but it varies. You can guess, though.

WASHINGTON, D.C.
1900 HOURS
MAY 26, 1914 A.D.

Prime Minister Lincoln was the first to speak at the conference, one he had quickly organized consisting of his cabinet. “I have called you all to this meeting to discuss an idea I have just thought of in this new war against the Russians.

“Our culture is more impressive than the Russian culture,” Kundai, the cultural advisor chimed in.

“Um, right. Anyway, back to my idea. Whether we like it or not, this war may escalate into a nuclear war. According to intelligence reports we have about the same nuclear strength as the Russians do. But that wouldn’t matter, for the city of Moscow has built a great wonder of the world, a nuclear defense system that shelters 75% of the missiles that aim towards Russia. Because of this, Catherine may fire nukes at us. If this happens, we’ll lose the war. I think I have a way to prevent this from happening. We launch an airborne attack on Moscow, capture it, and fly tons of our soldiers there to defend it, for we would have the nuclear defense system. If worse came to worse and they were going to take the city, we could destroy it. Other reasons for this airborne attack are we could capture Catherine and capturing the Russian capitol would be demoralizing to Russia. So how does the idea sound?”

“Brilliant!” Shouted Nukondah, the military advisor. “I know just the man to lead it. And, according to our spies, most of Moscow’s garrison has gone to our or the Zulu front. The attack could be perfectly executed!”

“But if we did that, we wouldn’t be able to gain valuable luxuries from Russia,” Sandin, the trade advisor said thoughtfully.

“Shut up about the @&%$ trading stuff! And anyway, we’re at war with Russia and we can’t trade with them you idiot!” Shouted Collins, the science advisor. Sandin has been known as the dumbest cabinet member.

“Let’s settle down, now. Are there any other objections?” Lincoln asked, seeming impatient No one answered. “Good. That settles it. Now, Nukondah, tell me of your ideas, and whatever they are, remember this operation needs to be executed in the next couple of days.”

“Well, this won’t be the largest airborne invasion ever. We only have 6 ready airborne battalions, the 19th, the 36th, the 51st, the 80th, the 87th, and the 103rd battalions. And if the small garrison of outdated Cossacks defending Moscow perform amazingly and hold out until reinforcements come, the paratroopers will be in trouble. Moscow is very far back from our lines. They’d have problems. But we can smash through the Cossacks and take the city easily. Then we’ll send more men to the city via plane. And the great airborne officer, Colonel William J. Scott, would lead this. I suggest we start this operation immediately. Does anyone disagree?” No one answered.

“Wow. That was a quick meeting. Nukondah, begin organizing the operation. I want it to begin in three days,” Lincoln ordered.

OPERATION SWIFT PANDA
THE SKIES NEAR THE OUTSKIRTS OF MOSCOW
0545 HOURS
MAY 29, 1914 A.D.

Colonel Scott gulped as jump time approached. He had a bad feeling in his gut. The doors of the CT-19 transport plane began to open he watched as members of the six battalions he was commanding jumped out of other planes. Then it was his turn. He began the HALO jump. He fell for a long time until finally he pulled the cord of his parachute. He then slowly sank down to the ground. More men began to land.

An hour later, the battalions had all landed and organized themselves. The assault on Moscow began. The garrison was a battalion of regular outdated Cossacks. The assault was too easy. The paratroopers went through the city en masse until they got to the Cossacks. They picked off the Russians one by one, almost laughingly. The citizens of Moscow were too cowardly to resist. Colonel Scott grinned as the paratroopers walked leisurely through town square and took over the airport. “The Russian capital taken in less than one hour. This is amazing. And the airport is intact,” he mused to himself. “Watson, go get that radio and send a status report to Washington.”

MOSCOW, RUSSIA
0936 HOURS
MAY 29, 1914 A.D.

Desmond Watson of the 19th battalion couldn’t believe what had just happened. Right after they completely took the city, the paratroopers learned that American agents hadn’t discovered what was lying in the surrounding country side. Only 5 Russian artillery battalions. He ducked as fragments of an artillery shell impact flew over his head. He then watched in horror as he saw explosions at the airport. “Good god!” he yelled to the other soldier in his foxhole. “We got to get over there!” “One… two… three!” He barked and the two ran through the streets filled with rubble, shells landing right and left. They finally came to the airport. What they saw almost killed them. Watson moaned. The airport was no more. The hangar had collapsed and mangled wires, steel and planes were everywhere along with the smell of gasoline. The tower had toppled over. But what had really mattered was the once smooth runway. It was now filled with craters, parts, oil, fires, and rubble. The transport planes coming to reinforce them couldn’t land in that. They need a very long and paved runway to land. They couldn’t even land in grass without crashing. Watson knew how far the battalions were from friendly lines. He knew about the several million Russian soldiers in between them. He knew six battalions aren’t something you can hide. He knew the Russians knew of what was happening. And he knew they were trapped.

WASHINGTON D.C.
1019 HOURS
MAY 29, 1914 A.D.

“Okay people, we need suggestions.” Lincoln announced at the beginning of his emergency meeting. His whole cabinet was there along with top military officers. “We have six airborne battalions trapped behind enemy lines on the near what was formerly Moscow, yes formerly. I just ordered them to destroy Moscow and the missile defense system with it, including the plans and the few scientists that know how to make it. The Russians were so careful of making it so there was hardly any information or people on it for security reasons, and now they have to start over again. Anyway, the Russians are now well aware of the paratroopers. Rescuing them seems almost impossible. We have no way to get to them. We’d have to go through millions of Russian soldiers. Yet, we still have to rescue them. The media promoted Sherman’s [leader] heroism very well. 15 soldiers including him were stuck in a building, isolated from the rest of the group and were surrounded by 140 Cossacks. You heard the story on the news. The soldiers were going to surrender, but he convinced them not to and led an attack that killed all the Cossacks. He’s already become a national hero. The public is weary of this war, and if we can’t rescue these men, it will anger them even more. If we win, and get Sherman [leader] back to the states, I think it will boost morale a great deal and we will be able to rush the Apollo Program. We do that, and we’ll win the space race against the Russians. But how can we get them?”

“Well, if they do get rescued, it will be probably by the Zulu. They’re a lot closer to them than we are.” An officer replied.

“Well, I think what we need to do is very clear. First, we need to gain control of the skies and bomb any tanks in their area. If the tanks get to them, they’ll be crushed. Then, we must make an amphibious invasion at the coast of Uralsk, and push our way towards their position. We’ll have to hook up with them somewhere along the way. I don’t think the Russians will expect it.” Nukondah reasoned. Right at that moment the red phone in the conference room rang. Lincoln set the phone on intercom.

“CHARLIE Control, this is TITAN. Code Green!” A weary voice yelped over the static and explosions in the background. “We’re getting nailed by artillery and Russian infantry! They’re starting to surround us! Requesting air support. Coordinates 0-0-7-Foxtrot-1-9-5-1-Green-8-0-4-9er. Over.” Lincoln picked up another phone and called the front desk.

“Have Cleveland AFB send in the bombers.”

NEAR FORMERLY MOSCOW, RUSSIA
1020 HOURS
MAY 29, 1914 A.D.

Desmond Watson looked up at the large, grassy hill in front of him. Right at the top of the hill was the beginning of a thickly wooded forest. The plan was for everyone to scatter and run through parts of the forest and meet up at the waterfalls at the Moscow River the next morning. Soldiers were scurrying up the hill. Some didn’t make it to the trees because of the artillery. And the Russian soldiers were getting nearer. They needed to get everyone to the forest immediately. He counted slowly to three. Then he hollered madly and sprinted up the hill. An explosion landed right in front of him and sent fragments everywhere. He ducked and they went over his head. “Almost to the forest!” He told himself. He then continued his mad dash, running to the forest. He was gasping for breath. He was safe for the moment; the Russians wouldn’t bombard soldiers in a forest, they wouldn’t have good chances of hitting much. He pulled out his map and went towards the falls of the Moscow.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Last edited by johncmcleod; June 2, 2002 at 15:49.
Old June 2, 2002, 15:44   #2
johncmcleod
Prince

continued
MOSCOW RIVER
0901 HOURS
MAY 30, 1914 A.D.

Watson looked at his map, knowing he must be close. He heard voices, and stopped. He walked forward through two bushes and was into a grassy clearing with a river going through it. On the other side where his comrades. He crossed a bridge and sat down and fed his famished stomach. He knew food would be a problem. They had food to last them only a couple more days at the most. Hunting would be their only option. Right as he finished his rations, Colonel Scott made an announcement. “We need to find a good spot for defending and stay there until we are rescued. I’m not sure what Washington has planned for are rescue, but it won’t be easy. Rescuing us by plane is impossible, for the transport planes need a long, good runway to land on. As for our defending spot, it’ll be that plateau over there.” He pointed north to a small plateau with long, brown-yellow grass. “Let’s go!” They walked for about 3 hours until they got the plateau. They then dug trenches and made defensive positions.

“Do you think we have a chance of surviving?” Watson asked to the soldier right next to him.

“Of course not. It is impossible for 1800 paratroopers to last long way behind enemy lines, with 2 million Russian soldiers and tanks going after them. Being rescued fast is our only hope. And that isn’t going to happen right now. Our forces are spread out too thin, and the tide is already changing. The Russians are on the offensive now. We simply have no hope. We’ll just have to sit in the trenches and fight honorably to the death. We’ll take as many Russians as we can down with us. God, I miss Cincinnati. Where are you from?”

“Seattle. I wished I would‘ve never join the airborne division. I knew something like this would happen, but I just had to be in the action. I was kind of a war hawk. Now I just wish there was world peace. And I really hate how the U.N. doesn‘t do anything. They‘re supposed to promote world peace, but they really don‘t. They just want to see other nations grow weaker.”

“I agree. I think it’s mainly because Alexandria is the secretary general. Hiawatha has been pushing to send in peacekeeping troops, but Alexandria won’t listen. Hiawatha knows that if the Iroquois sent in peacekeeping troops, they’d get invaded. But if the whole UN did, then Russia would have to stop the aggression. They wouldn’t be able to handle every other nation in the world.” The paratroopers began to wait, waiting for the inevitable attack. It finally did come. At 9 at night.

The Americans looked at the Russians through their night vision goggles, and waited for the perfect time to open fire. Right as the Russians were almost on top of them, the trenches seemed to explode. Gunfire tore right through the Russian ranks. Desmond looked through his goggles and fired at a bright green figure. The soldier went down immediately. The whole first wave of Russians was wiped out. Then came an even larger wave. Florescent green tracers went everywhere again. As the two sides exchanged fire. A cluster of Russians headed right towards Desmond’s trench. He grabbed a grenade, pulled out the firing pin, and threw out right at the Russians. It was well timed, as they all were thrown in different directions, all dead. A machine gunner next to Desmond was trying to assemble a machine gun.

“Come on, fit in here!” He yelled at the part that wouldn’t get through. “Yes, got it!” He didn’t have time to fire it. A bullet tore through his chest, blood spurted out through the tear in his uniform. Desmond grabbed the machine gun. Another wave of Russians was heading right at him. He fired. Bullets ripped through all of them, as they all hit the ground, dead. Another wave, this time a huge one flung themselves upon the trenches. Desmond fed ammo belts through the gun and fired at them, killing 20 of them. But then the machine gun stopped firing. He looked at it and saw its barrels were glowing.

“#*%&!” He yelled. He pulled out his rifle and picked off more Russians with that. But he hadn’t noticed the situation around him. Many Americans lay dead in their trenches, and the Russians were taking over the trenches.

“Retreat!!!!” Desmond heard Colonel Scott yell at the top of his lungs, as the Russians were advancing from just about all sides now. The Americans started to run. Desmond ran, firing his rifle at the Russians that were trying to break up the retreat. Bullets whizzed over Desmond’s head. He could only hope they wouldn’t hit him. Desmond breathed a sigh of relief when he saw the Russians hadn’t fully encircled them. They were getting away, and the Russians weren’t following. He ran and ran along side many other soldiers until finally they slowed down at the top of a large hill. He was extremely exhausted. He looked over and saw a fellow soldier had fallen asleep standing up.

“19th Battalion, Company D, Platoon B!’’ Colonel Scott barked. “You guys will take the first watch!” Desmond groaned. “Out of all the platoons in this division, it had to be mine.” He muttered to himself. So he had to stay up another hour. Pacing back and forth. At the end of the watch, he finally laid down and went to sleep, falling asleep before he touched the ground.

RUSSIAN HILLS
0758 HOURS
MAY 31, 1914 A.D.

Desmond awoke to his least favorite sound. Reveille. “At least they let us sleep in,” he mused to himself, looking at his watch. The Americans got up, stretched, and walked around. They wolfed down a cold breakfast, and gathered around the officers for today’s plan.

“Today we’re going to stay here and defend this ground.” Colonel Scott yelled so everyone could hear. “We might not get attacked today, for our bombers took out they only artillery near us. They wouldn’t attack again without artillery, unless they brought in tanks. And recon planes flew in areas near us and didn’t see any tanks. So we’re probably safe today. Tomorrow we’ll probably go along the Moscow River. Any questions? …Good. Now get unpacked and start to dig trenches.” The men started to leave, but right as he was finished, a faint sound made everyone stand still. It was the sound of motorized vehicles. A couple soldiers ran to the edge of the top of one side of the hill and screamed

“RUN FOR THE RIVER!!!” Right then, a tank battalion came into view, firing at the Americans. Desmond ran faster than he ever had. Explosions were landing everywhere. Americans were falling right and left, but they continued to run without looking back, towards the river, only a third of a mile away. Desmond looked over his shoulder. Some of the tanks were held up because of some tree stumps, but most of them were still coming on strong. He threw a grenade as hard as he could towards the tanks. It exploded right in front of one the tanks at the front. The whole tank blew up and engulfed the tank next to it. He didn’t have time to celebrate. He kept sprinting towards the river. He finally caught sight of it.

There were 11 bridges going across the river, which was bout 50 feet wide. The Americans began to run across them. Shells were landing in the river right by the bridges, splashing water everywhere, swaying the bridges. The soldiers could only see about a foot in front of them. They all prayed the Russians wouldn’t hit the bridges. Then a shell landed right near the bridge Desmond was on. It swayed to the right so much that it was almost perpendicular to the water. He yelled and hung on as tight as he could. Then bridge reached its peak height and then fell back throwing everyone to the other side of the bridge. Desmond flipped over, his legs under the water trying to hang on to the side of the bridge. He looked over to a bridge near him and saw it collapse under the weight of all the soldiers. “Idiots!” He muttered to himself. He saw about 100 soldiers swimming in the water towards the other shore. He pulled himself up and ran across the bridge to the other shore. The Americans finally made it, but they were still within the range of the tanks’ guns. Explosions were landing everywhere, throwing dust everywhere. The Americans kept on running until finally they were out of range of the tanks. But just as they stopped to rest, they realized the tanks had radioed in their position to other Russians. The sound of engines filled the sky. Desmond moaned as he saw a squadron of Russian bombers head right for them.

“Head north!!’’ Colonel Scott yelled to the soldiers. They all ran to the north as bombs were falling right and left. An explosion fairly close to him sent several Americans flying in all directions. “God, please make it stop!” Desmond yelled. As if answering his call (maybe it was), different sounding engines filled the sky. The Americans stopped running. Zulu fighters came into view and tore through the bomber formation. 2 or 3 bombers hit the ground in flames. Another one exploded in mid air, for its oil tank was hit. The Americans cheered as the formation broke up and the bombers flew away in all different directions. The fighters did victory rolls as the Americans waved at them. For the rest of the day and night the Americans set up defensive positions right where they were and fell asleep.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Last edited by johncmcleod; June 2, 2002 at 15:51.
Old June 2, 2002, 15:45   #3
johncmcleod
Prince

continued
RUSSIAN HILLS
0819 HOURS
JUNE 1, 1914 A.D.

Colonel Scott made an announcement to the soldiers. “As you all know, we ate our last half meal last night, and you all are probably now famished. Our only option is for us to fend for ourselves. This hills and woods are thick with game. Therefore, I’ll send you all out to get whatever you can for yourselves, and please share. Meet here at-” Colonel Scott stopped as he saw trucks filled with food coming towards the soldiers.

“The Lord has saved us!” A soldier yelled. The trucks drove up to the soldiers and a tall Russian man stepped out of one of the trucks.

“My scouts told me you needed food.” He said with a grin on his face. “As I can see, you are all very shocked. My name is Vladimir Septingrad. I’ll start my story from the beginning. We are resistance fighters. You’d be surprised how many there are in Russia, well, except for Moscow, which is a loyalist stronghold. Anyway, we’re from the town of Minsk. It is a rather small town, but pretty much everyone in the town are resistance fighters. We heard the story of the garrison of a loyalist town going to the front, where it was needed. Catherine did that because there wouldn’t be a problem. The city militia handled the city. So all of the resistors got together and decided to act loyal. We raised money for the military, helped with propaganda, etc. After that, the same thing happened. Our garrison was needed at the front, and they left a couple of months ago, and if everything runs fine they won’t come back for a while. Catherine let us run the city. And the militia was all resistors. So she didn’t know it, but she didn’t have control of the city. We have been training our men much for the last couple months, and we also have a rather large arsenal. So we have been secretly derailing trains and setting off explosives at tank columns in secret and Catherine never expected us. We have been preparing to defend the city for when a garrison eventually comes. Catherine almost did send one after the airborne invasion of Moscow, but she decided we could defend ourselves. And then my scouts saw you and said you were hungry. So we brought food. And we would also like to make a proposition. Your plan is to defend yourselves out here. Not the best idea. We learned a garrison is coming to our town in two or three days. We were hoping you could help us defend it. And we also learned the Russians are sending more troops out to this hill tomorrow, for they correctly think you’re here. Defending in a town with walls is easier than defending a small hill. So our proposition is to come to our city where you can hold out there until your rescuers come, which they are. American officers radioed us that they are planning an amphibious invasion of the coast near Uralsk which will happen today. From there they will try to hook up with our town and get to you. And if you’re afraid Russians will come tomorrow and attack, don’t worry, the Russians coming here tomorrow won’t look in our city for you. So, what will it be?”

“Sound’s great!” Colonel Scott exuberantly yelled. So the Americans ate a hearty lunch and traveled to the city, where they were received with open arms. They set up defensive positions in the city side by side with the resistors, who were armed with new rifles, homemade bombs, and Molotov cocktails.

OPERATION AMAZING GRACE
THE COAST CLOSE TO URALSK
0545 HOURS
JUNE 1, 1914 A.D.

Mason Foster of the 20th Marine Battalion almost vomited as he saw the transport ship get closer to shore. They’d get off any minute now. He wished he was back in Cleveland, where he had lived his whole life. But he wasn’t. He watched the bombers, destroyers, and battleships bombard the coastline. He prayed they’d eliminate most of the ground forces there. This amphibious invasion was very far behind the front lines. If they got trapped, they were dead. The whole invasion depended on the marine battalions. They needed to secure a beach head as fast as possible and continue the offensive to Uralsk. If they couldn’t do that fast enough, they’d lose the element of surprise and the infantry and tank battalions wouldn’t be able to land.

Before he had time to think longer the door of the ship lowered, and the men jumped in the water, wading and trying to get to the shore. Though they were receiving much cover fire from the ships and planes, they were met by a hail of bullets. The water turned blood red as a couple of soldiers in front of them were hit hard. Bullets were making splashes in the water everywhere. Marines were falling right and left, and after 4 minutes of wading they were still pinned down. They needed to make a mad dash for the beach and take out the two pillboxes hammering them with machine gun fire. Mason didn’t know how he could get them to. As he was pondering this, he saw the bugler, in the water dead. Mason played trumpet. He grabbed the trumpet, emptied water out through the spit valve and played the “Charge” melody and ran through the waters out towards the beach where the soldiers wouldn’t go. It was the craziest thing he’d ever done. Bullets were whizzing right by him, but he ignored them. It actually worked. It rallied the marines. They ran through the water onto the shore and charged the pillboxes. They got close to them and through grenades in, taking out the machine gunners.

Another large wave of marines came in, running through the waves and onto the beach. They advanced past the sands and onto the grass watching for the Russian Coastal Guard. But no Russians were in sight. “I don’t like the looks of this,” Mason said to himself. The marines marched on, heading east, towards Uralsk. From there they would try to find the paratroopers. If they didn’t they’d go to Minsk, for it was thought they might’ve found the resisting town and might be staying there. If they met very stiff resistance, they would fall back to the advancing infantry units behind them. The marines marched through and past nightfall, not taking very many breaks. They had covered a good deal of ground. They stopped when a scout with binoculars returned. He was almost out of breath.

“Russians…over in that valley over there, heading north…they don’t know we’re here…no armored support…if we ambush them they’ll get mauled.” The commander stopped the ranks and started giving out orders of the radio. The battalions would surround the Russians in the valley, undetected. The ones that the Russians were heading towards would suddenly open fire from almost all directions, except from behind them. That’s where Foster’s group would be, hiding. The Russians would retreat in their direction, and the marines would let the Russians get real close and then they’d open fire. The marines began to execute the plan. Mason and his comrades ducked down, unable to be seen in the tall grass. They finally got to the back of the Russian formation. The Russians didn’t know what was coming. Then suddenly, the hills above and in front of the Russians exploded with gunfire. Scores of Russians went down without knowing what hit them. The Russian soldiers pulled out their weapons, but they didn’t know where to shoot.

“Retreat!” A Russian officer screamed at the top of his lungs. The Russians walked right in to the trap. They all ran towards Foster’s battalion, not knowing who was there. The Russians were almost on top of the Americans when the Americans opened fire. They mowed down the first waves of retreating Russians instantly. Then, all of the Americans got up from their positions in the hills and surrounded the Russians killing almost all of them in a matter of seconds. But before their picture perfect ambush was complete, Mason heard a high pitched whine get louder and louder. He almost instantly knew what it was.

“It’s a tra-” right as Mason tried to finish, a huge explosion landed right in the middle of the marines. It was a 700 kilogram shell filled with conventional explosives, nitro-glisterine, and metal fragments. The explosion knocked over Mason and tiny pieces of metal filled the air and went into American bodies everywhere. The hills behind the Americans came to life with Russian soldiers ambushing the Americans. The marines knew what they had to do. They had to head west and fall back to the advancing infantry battalions. They all ran faster than they ever had before towards safety, though many didn’t make it very far. Bullets whizzed over their heads. One hit Mason’s helmet and rattled it. He thought he was shot. While he was running, he crept his hand up to where he had been shot and felt it. He felt nothing but slightly dented metal. He just had a bump on his head. Mason and the other marines ran for another two hours, heading towards the other Americans. Mason just told his legs to move and didn’t even remember any of the run afterwards. He just remembered feeling tired and getting to the infantry battalions and helping out the infantry dig trenches, and he then fell asleep in one of them.

Mason awoke to the sound of American artillery behind him only about an hour later. He picked up his rifle and aimed it towards where the Russians would be coming from. He stood there apprehensively, not knowing what the Russians would throw at them this time. As if answering his thoughts, the Russians came right out of the clearing, and the American marines and infantry opened fire, chopping down the first wave. Explosions where landing right in the middle of the Russian formations. The Russians were getting mauled. Their commander immediately realized that this attack was futile and he sent back his two battered infantry battalions. Mason was so exhausted he fell asleep right then and there.

He finally awoke when another soldier began to shake him. “Mason!” He whispered. “We’re moving out soon. Pretty much all of our ground forces have landed and they’re at our position. I can’t believe you haven’t waken up. You slept through their marching to here. Anyway, as soon as these scouts get back reporting what’s ahead of us we’ll advance. They should be here soon, they’re already very late. They-” All of the Americans stopped what they were doing and listened to a sound that filled them with terror. A low, rumbling sound. The sound of engines moving through the trees.

“TANKS!!!” Someone screamed at the top of their lungs. And sure enough, right the forest came hundreds of enemy tanks. Not even the Army infantry units, who were better at defending then marines, would have a chance of stopping. Not another word was said, and the Americans ran back as fast as they could. They needed to keep traveling on the road until they got to the newly captured railroad, and from there they’d go back to the transport ships and go back. The whole invasion was ruined because of poor intelligence. No tanks had been brought along yet because intel said there weren’t any Russian tanks in the area. And because of this, they were running for their lives.

Explosions landed everywhere, right into groups of Americans. Body parts from the hit were literally flying through the air. Mason was soaked with blood, and none of it was his own. Luckily, the Americans came to a small shallow and muddy river. That would slow the tanks down at least. They all ran across the river, and the tanks were delayed. The Americans kept running despite their utter exhaustion until they finally got to the railroad. They boarded up on trains as quickly as they could and headed to the landing zone. Mason sat there with relief. His fellow comrades and he had been so close to being wiped out three times now. They were so lucky, he thought to himself.

But his feelings of happiness came to an end as the Americans got out of the trains. They looked on with despair as the saw a Russian fleet steaming away from the shore and from all of the transport ships they had just sunk. The Americans were trapped-again. They were totally silent, unable to comprehend what had just happened. But they didn’t have time to anyway. That same low murmur was coming towards them again. The tanks came into view. “TO THE DEATH!!!!!!!!” Mason yelled as loud as he could. The Americans cocked their rifles and waited for their destruction.

MINSK, RUSSIA
0901 HOURS
JUNE 4, 1914 A.D.

This was the moment the paratroopers had been waiting for for the last couple of days. The Russians were coming, and the paratroopers hoped to cream them. Their morale remained fairly high, despite the news of the failed amphibious invasion. They now knew that their only hope was the Zulu, who were on the other front. The Americans had no idea of their progress, for communications with the Zulu were impossible, for the Russians were between the two nations.

Desmond was right on the northern side of the city, where the Russians were coming to. Everyone was well concealed. The plan was a few men would greet the Russians and would tell a false tale that disease had killed most of the city. They would tell the Russians to go ahead and march through the city. When they were all in the middle of the city, all the Americans and rebels hiding in the buildings would open fire. Desmond watched as the Russians were moving through the city. So far the plan had worked. The Russians came right through, not knowing what was about to hit them. Then all of the sudden his radio crackled to life with static. That was the signal to open fire.

The whole city seemed to explode with gunfire. The Russian ranks were torn down with fire. Scores went down instantly. The Russians fired into random spots in the buildings, now knowing where to fire. They hit almost nothing. The Russians continued to get hit for the next several minutes. They had killed almost nobody, and they had hardly anyone left. The tried to take cover wherever they could and try to fire at where their opponents were. Unfortunately, the Russians weren’t done. Tanks came through, firing and successfully knocking over buildings. Desmond grabbed a Molotov cocktail that had been laid out for him. He lit the rag on fire and tossed it out the window at a tank going through his street. It landed right near the oil tank. The whole tank exploded instantly. Parts of it flew out in every direction. A squad of infantry headed right for his building to avenge the destruction of the tank. “What idiots!” Desmond said with a smile on his face. He lit a match and set the rag on fire and tossed the bottle at the close-together squad. It exploded and incinerated several of them. A couple others weren’t so lucky. They ran around crazily, engulfed in fire. He was glad there were grape fields near the town.

He realized he couldn’t keep that position for long as a couple of tanks came for his building. The fired their huge guns at the bottom of the building. The whole building wobbled, and the floor started to collapse. Desmond was about to fall to the first floor. Before he did, he made a last ditch effort to destroy the tanks. He simultaneously set the rags of his remaining cocktails on fire and flung them all out the window. The explosion was brilliant, and the men inside the tanks melted as ammunition and oil tanks exploded. Right then the floor collapsed. Desmond fell through and landed on the first floor, shaken, but not stirred (-: The building was on fire and he was afraid it would all fall on top of him, so Desmond left and headed towards the center of the city, where most of the action was. He had only gone about a block when a high whizzed sound filled his ears. He got against a nearby wall and ducked. A small rocket from a launcher hit the wall right above him. Fragments of wood flew over his head. But a large chunk of concrete didn’t. It hit him square on the head. He was out cold.

He came to two and one half hours later. A fellow paratrooper shook him. “Come on, it’s not time to sleep Desmond. We’re moving out.”

“What happened?” Desmond asked. “I’ve been out cold for the last two and a half hours.”

“Well, we’ve eliminated a whole lot of Russians, but we’re going to have to move out. Unfortunately, Septingrad’s fighters won’t come with us. They’re going down with the town. It’s been great. The Russians have depleted the whole countryside of their troops and sent them here, and we’ve killed most of them. But there’s just too many tanks. Colonel Scott telling us to head north. We’ll go to the coast and get Lincoln to send transport ships over to us. From there we’ll leave. But come on!” Desmond joined up with the other soldiers and headed east. The paratroopers finally got to stop, several hours later. They had made it to the coast. The soldiers waited in eager anticipation, hoping they could get transport ships to come. Colonel Scott came back from his tent and made an announcement. He had a grave look on his face.

“We have a problem. We have hardly any transport ships left. Most of them have been sunk. But the real problem is the whole coastline is surrounded by Russian ships. They have already tried, but they can’t break through. We must fight honorably to the death. You may rest now. You’ll need it for the next couple of days.” Desmond slept fitfully that night. It was all over. He awoke early that morning, along with all the other soldiers to a familiar sound. Tanks.

We all new what to do. We quickly made a perimeter around the beach, and waited for our death to come. “Wait!” Colonel Scott yelled with excitement in his face. “Those aren’t Russians. I can tell by the sound of the engines. Those are Zulu tanks!” And sure enough, tanks with Zulu markings came through. Desmond wept with jubilation. They were saved.

“We have broken through the Russian front. They’re retreating!” The commander said as the tanks stopped. The paratroopers loaded themselves up onto transport vehicles and rode away. The grand day they had been waiting for had finally come.
The End

Last edited by johncmcleod; June 2, 2002 at 15:54.
Old June 2, 2002, 16:03   #4
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 20:51
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Let me just say, THANK YOU, you wrote a bad story a long time ago, and the tips from that have helped me become a better and funnier writer.
Old June 2, 2002, 22:10   #5
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
I'm trying to think of a story with comparable battle scenes and failing!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 6, 2002, 18:39   #6
SeattleMariners
Settler

Local Time: 01:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great Story! You should've had a little bit more of it from the leaders' point of view, because the combat scenes were a little bit repetitive, but besides that it was really good.