Old June 2, 2002, 17:04   #1
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 21:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Half-Life v. System Shock 2
So, I have a choice. I haven't really played many FPSs, though I have played the demos of these two great games. What attracts me to them is the idea of a story with the action.

So, my question is which of these two would you recommend and why?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 2, 2002, 17:08   #2
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:52
Half Life. There is more replayability and if you ever get into multiplayer, HL is better at that.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 2, 2002, 17:19   #3
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I'm not a multiplayer guy really...

I like the roleplaying of System Shock 2.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old June 2, 2002, 17:24   #4
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've played both. HL is an action shooter, no more, no less. System Shock2 is far better thanks to it's RPG aspects, has realistic skills and cool weaponry (it will wear down after use). Plus the story is well paced in the way you find logs and msg's from the former crewmembers on the ship. The game is really cool when you have 5.1 speaker setup, the SFX are truly excellent in the way you hear something slowly creeping up from behind.

SS2 also has a multiplayer option, but I've never tried it.

I'd go for SS2 if you want a good single player adventure
Old June 2, 2002, 17:58   #5
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Cap, how would you rate the story of both games?
Old June 2, 2002, 18:08   #6
CapTVK
King

Story wise?
I would say SS2 because you have the freedom to roam and solve the mystery by yourself and choose your own path thanks to the RPG bit.

Halflife scores high on presentation and execution but it's actually very linear. You'll be taken for a ride, oh yes. But unless you totally dig multiplayer don't except anything more.
Old June 2, 2002, 18:10   #7
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Ah, thanks .

I've never done multiplayer really. I may in the future, but multiplayer really doesn't matter much to me.
Old June 2, 2002, 18:14   #8
CapTVK
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Ah, thanks .

I've never done multiplayer really. I may in the future, but multiplayer really doesn't matter much to me.
I dare you to mention that in the Civ2MP forum!
Old June 2, 2002, 19:48   #9
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 11:52
In terms of plot, realism, and involving elements I definitely say System Shock II. However, in terms of replayability, Half-Life is definitely the better one. Modding Half-Life is somewhat easier than modding System Shock II
Old June 2, 2002, 19:54   #10
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Re: Half-Life v. System Shock 2
Quote:
So, I have a choice. I haven't really played many FPSs, though I have played the demos of these two great games. What attracts me to them is the idea of a story with the action.

So, my question is which of these two would you recommend and why?
Id get both! System Shock 2 is better IMO, but Half Life has significantly more replayability and you can DL many good single player missions. But if you arent into fps Id go with Sys Shock 2 since the 'replayability' of HL is meaningless if you arent really into FPS.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 2, 2002, 19:59   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:52
I'll agree with SS2.
Old June 2, 2002, 20:54   #12
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Id get both!
Yes, but I have to get one first .

I've played Deus Ex, btw, and loved it. I understand it follows the System Shock legacy. So I'm not totally unknown to FPSs. I also played Duke Nukem 3d (who hasn't ).
Old June 3, 2002, 09:44   #13
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Ahhh, so you're already played Deus Ex, then. Well, neither are as good, but SS2 is probably a little closer in the feel of the game. HL has no RPG elements. SS2 is scary as hell--I mean really, really, don't-play-this-at-2AM-with-the-lights-out scary. The prevailing mood of HL is similar to Deus Ex; the mood of SS2 is that you're stuck in an absolute nightmare.

As many have said, given your preference for single-player experience, SS2 is probably the better way to go. But if you have the opportunity to get both, don't hesitate. Half-Life is also very good.
Old June 3, 2002, 10:35   #14
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 04:52
System Shock II all the way! I've never been too keen on MP (shoddy connections etc. have plagued me). SS2 has a way better storyline, well, there was one plot device that was probably meant to be big but I thought it was predictable...
It could be just me...

Also, with the aforementioned audio logs et. al., the roleplaying element is intriguing... and the atmosphere, the audiovisuals, it's incredible, especially considering that it works on my piece of antiques some still call a "computer"... get it!

The first and only FPS'ish game I have ever played through.

And like Guynemer said, it's just so bloody scary... Resident Evil? No biggie.

I just can't help but to think of all the little almost harmless critters that have terrified me to death and because of that met their fate coming from the barrel of my fusion cannon.

Btw, the fusion cannon was IMO the only disappointment of the game. In most cases the Grenade Launcher with Incendiary Grenades was better.

I started to play it again last night with a Techie-tilted character, we'll see how I'll fare... if I dare play it at all, that is.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; June 3, 2002 at 10:43.
Old June 3, 2002, 13:52   #15
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

What's a good FPS to get if you've never played an FPS on the PC before?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 3, 2002, 18:02   #16
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:52
Without a doubt, Doom. The original and the best!
It will introduce you to the main concepts of FPS such as finding your way in a 3d environment, using different weapons/ammo, aiming at and killing enemies. The different skill levels will allow newbies to play without being killed every two seconds, or more skilled players to need good skills in order to not be killed every two seconds.

Quake 2 is also great from a single-player perspective, and both should be dirt-cheap now. These would be your standard adrenalin-rush type games.

If you want a thinking game (where running in with guns blazing will generally get you killed), System Shock 2, Thief 1 and 2 or Deus Ex would also be good. The concepts aren't really that hard to pick up.
Old June 3, 2002, 22:41   #17
Guynemer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
What's a good FPS to get if you've never played an FPS on the PC before?
Deus Ex. It is, quite simply, the best FPS I have ever played, bar none. That includes Doom, Half-Life, System Shock 2, No One Lives Forever, and most of the other critical faves. Deus Ex is a HUGE game--it'll take you a long time to finish it. But it's got it all--choices and actions that you have to live with for the rest of the game, a deep, evolving plotline, a little bit of humor, a little bit of terror, a lot of action, a lot of strategy... can't recommend it enough.

You should be able to find it for around $15 or so--be sure to get the boxed version, and NOT a jewel case with the label "Special Limited Edition". By "limited", they mean "you're limited to playing the first 33% of the game."
Old June 3, 2002, 22:59   #18
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer

Deus Ex. It is, quite simply, the best FPS I have ever played, bar none. That includes Doom, Half-Life, System Shock 2, No One Lives Forever, and most of the other critical faves. Deus Ex is a HUGE game--it'll take you a long time to finish it. But it's got it all--choices and actions that you have to live with for the rest of the game, a deep, evolving plotline, a little bit of humor, a little bit of terror, a lot of action, a lot of strategy... can't recommend it enough.

You should be able to find it for around $15 or so--be sure to get the boxed version, and NOT a jewel case with the label "Special Limited Edition". By "limited", they mean "you're limited to playing the first 33% of the game."
Do you really want to start with the best? Later with that as your basis of comparison you will just conclude the rest of the genre is mediocre or sucks.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 3, 2002, 23:13   #19
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

How many FPS games have an actual story to go with them? Those are the ones that I would be interested in because online play for this genera doesn't interest me. That's in addition to the newbie friendly shooters of course, ie nothing with the words Tom Clancy in the title (Those games scare me.).

So far I see Deus Ex and System Shock 2 as viable prospects. Is Jedi Knight any good? How would you rate NOLF? Can it be a SP only game or is it only fun in MP? Are there any other story driven FPS games that you could recommend?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 4, 2002, 00:56   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff

NOLF is pretty good story wise. I really got into the game. I stopped playing for some reason (and now I forget what it was). Very funny and entertaining story. And the game is pretty fun as well.

Jedi Knight's demo showed a fairly decent story. One reason I'm deciding between Half-Life and System Shock 2 is that they are the two games that were known for introducing complex stories into the FPS genre (even though SS2 might be considered RPG by some).

And oh, yes, the Clancy team shooters are very scary looking... making up a plan and then going in there, switching between teams... Yikes!
Old June 4, 2002, 08:36   #21
Guynemer
Emperor

NOLF is very good. Very, very funny, great level design. I'd say it's better than Half-Life, and as far as it just being a shooter, better than SS2. I only played the single-player campaign, and it'll take you a while to finish. You could start with that one, then work on up to Deus Ex, and then hope for the speedy release of some of the stuff shown at E3.
Old June 4, 2002, 15:42   #22
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
I'm not a multiplayer guy really...

I like the roleplaying of System Shock 2.
SS2 all the way! And there is MP: cooperative play which, if you can actually get others to play with you, is a BLAST!! (I've done it).

The graphics are better for SS2, though both games are aging. And SS2 has replayability since you can replay the game as one of 3 classes; and of course, co-op MP.

I have played through HL too. But why not just get BOTH games?
Old June 4, 2002, 16:18   #23
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 04:52
This is just silly. I simply don't have the courage to walk out to the corridors in the beginning with just a wrench and a handful of hacking skills. I've tried twice already to no avail... the only more frightening game I have run onto was, well, there was Silent Hill 2, and then there was Alien vs. Predator.

Tom Clancy's games scary? Wait till you get ahold of SS2...
Old June 5, 2002, 10:38   #24
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
This is just silly. I simply don't have the courage to walk out to the corridors in the beginning with just a wrench and a handful of hacking skills. I've tried twice already to no avail... the only more frightening game I have run onto was, well, there was Silent Hill 2, and then there was Alien vs. Predator.

Tom Clancy's games scary? Wait till you get ahold of SS2...

lol Wait till you get to the...

well, let's just say: watch out when you turn the corners!