Old June 2, 2002, 17:12   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 20:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Cavalry going to be "nerfed"? And if so, is this the right thing to do?
From the screenshots of the Spanish conquistador, we gain the knowledge that it is going to be a 5-3-3 unit. This is obviously an odd set of statistics for a UU to have, based on Civ 3's current parameters. A conclusion that one may reach is that cavalry is going to be "nerfed", in the grand tradition of weakening overpowered aspects of PC games. In other words, the default cavalry may actually be 5-3-3 now, and the Spanish unit may not require resources, or have some other unique benefit.
Another possibilty of course, is the introduction of a unit between Knights and Cavalry. Perhaps the return of a crusader unit. But It did seem that cavalry was one of the most complained about units in a thread where Firaxis asked for fan's input on overpowered or underpowered units.
If cavalry turns out to be "nerfed", would you agree with it?

I personally had no problem with cavalry's original statistics, but have no real problem with them weakening it a little bit either.
Old June 2, 2002, 17:41   #2
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 20:52
Civ2 had a "dragoon" between knights and Cav, and Civ3 may be adding that back. I would have placed the dragoon in the mid-middle ages, with cavalry in the very early industrial.

As for stats, I have no idea.
Old June 2, 2002, 17:51   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:52
I would support the addition of new units and techs in order to lengthen the time between the middle ages and the modern era.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 2, 2002, 19:14   #4
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Civ2 had a "dragoon" between knights and Cav, and Civ3 may be adding that back. I would have placed the dragoon in the mid-middle ages, with cavalry in the very early industrial.
I used the Dragoon as an upgrade for Cavalry, so that all my cav units didn't become useless with the advent of tanks.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old June 4, 2002, 17:45   #5
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 17:52
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
There's a HUGE jump in usefulness between Knights & Cav, while everyone else is building Knights, I build defence & Universities, so I can kick a** with Cavs.