View Poll Results: Which of these stories do you read?
The Spartan Chronicles 11 15.49%
Beyond Alpha Centauri 9 12.68%
Joe 10 14.08%
Among Friends 5 7.04%
The Hunt 8 11.27%
Unlike Minds 6 8.45%
The Fall of Dawn 4 5.63%
A Midnight Sun 3 4.23%
Dawn of the Protectorate 7 9.86%
Other 8 11.27%
I care not for your pathetic AC-Fiction! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3, 2002, 01:28   #1
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 11:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Survey for denizens of AC-Fiction
Which of these ongoing stories do you read regularly or semi-regularly? I thought it might be interesting to find out how many readers our various works have.

Some of them aren't on the default view, of course, but that doesn't mean they're forgotten. And these are only the most active ones of recent times. If you read ones other than these, or have read older ones than these, post them below.
Old June 3, 2002, 02:23   #2
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Other than the norms, I like reading 'Unlike Minds'.

The correspondence between Yang and Deidre is very interesting.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2002, 06:23   #3
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 04:53
I visit this forum sometimes, probably because I used to read around here a lot, but lately (for several months) I haven't read any story. Still, I can't quite bring myself to vote for the last choice... Let's say that I am too lazy to get started again.
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Ari Rahikkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2002, 19:35   #4
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Local Time: 21:53
read all of those except a midnight sun\the fall of dawn....i read quite fast and i have lots of spare time

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Kataphraktoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2002, 15:41   #5
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 18:53
I've read most of them at one time or another, or at least peeked. The exception would be the "Spartan Chronicles," whose length overwhelms me for now (I'm also plowing through Michael Ely's SMAC trilogy). I particularly like Hydro's role-playing PBEM games that he's narrated in "Coversations," "Unlike Minds," and game-in-progress "Among Friends?" It's interesting to note how the players improvise in their descriptions of in-game commonalities and interpret life in their colonies. Very absorbing stuff; I'd like to get in on it, having a few novel ideas for personifying Morgan, Sven, Roze, Miriam, or hell, anyone.
Old June 6, 2002, 14:41   #6
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Marid, you're right on the money as far as plot hooks and story ideas go! It's amazing how big huge plots can grow out of tiny events in a single game turn. One game I played had me sending in cruiser transport-loads of probe teams to try to scuttle an enemy base project. I was playing on Iron Man at the time and so each probe team failure was quite serious and I was getting very involved! Then I thought "what sort of thoughts would my probe teams actually feel in this situation?" After a while I started writing things down, and lo and behold I can't stop.

Give it a try! The people here are very warm and receive all new tales with constructive criticism and enthusiasm. And we're always happy to read newcomers' tales from the Chironian side!
Old June 11, 2002, 12:27   #7
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

you could save and re-open AC if winning the game could depend on your probe succeding.

say,for example,1 probe on a transport next to miriams capital,with them 1 turn away from chaos(say you had impact vs there impact still). then you could save,open AC,and re-load.

Quote:
cruiser transport-loads of probe teams
instead of transports+probes,try cruiser\foil chassis with probe team as weapon

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Kataphraktoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2002, 22:35   #8
Masterbuilder
Settler

Local Time: 01:53
Appreciation
I wish to express my appreciation concerning some of the comments that have been made about the "conversations" Hydro and I have created. I have enjoyed playing SMAC and SMAX but what really opened this game up for me has been these exchanges. I love role playing and these conversations have allowed me to construct a framework to really absorb the game and enjoy it. I sometimes take my role playing to extremes and do not take advantage of some technologies or systems in the game due to the "world" I have created for myself. It has become more of a challenge to see if I can win without breaking from my role. Once you master the mechanics of the game almost anyone can one but can you win if you limit yourself, impose self restrictions? It has been tough. So far of the two campaigns Hydro and I have started he has one hands down but that really has not been the point for me. My only regret is that I do not have the time to expand on my conversations and make them even more detailed.
Masterbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2002, 03:33   #9
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Cataphract887:

Surely that would have defeated the whole intention of playing on Iron Man in the first place? I played that game to see how my plans could do against fate and chance, not to see how repeated reloads could do my cheating for me. Call it perversion, but I even got to a point that I had to unload probes onto a tile, then walk them 2/3 tiles away by road to get to the target city! There were literally dozens of probe teams sent there in one single turn, and their success rate was unsurprisingly low.

Part of the fun comes when you make mistakes and then have to backpedal from them. I hardly ever play reload-rich games anymore in SMAC.
Old June 29, 2002, 10:07   #10
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
i play ironman for the +%100 you get on your score. i wish i didn't though after marr demanded some tech and i accidently clicked "silence! enough of your veiled threats" instead of "transmit data on ethical calculus". i was actually quite surprised when he said "vendetta: upon you!" not realising what i had done.

and on topic i was reading unlike minds and the hunt (if that's the one i'm thinking of, i cant remember what half of them are called) but havn't been recently.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote