Old June 7, 2002, 19:10   #31
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I regret not getting TA: Core Contingency. It was only being sold bundled with the game by the time I got TA and I hesitated. Doofus, doofus, doofus!

http://www.the-underdogs.org/ - for the Fantasy General, Master of Magic, and Imperialism II people
Old June 7, 2002, 23:21   #32
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:55
Yeah, I'd say that Imp2 was abandonware right out the gates. I was surprised at how poorly it was supported even after buying it pretty much right away.

It is worth an initial playthrough when you're still learning the good ideas of the game, even if it ends up being a noble failure all in all.
Old June 8, 2002, 15:56   #33
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Really? I thought it had excellent patches and the developers hung out on my SidGames fora.
Old June 8, 2002, 18:40   #34
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd agree - i think it had pretty good support - 2 or three patches. I've also recently had some help over a sound issue from the developers and they seem to be frequent visitors to some boards so i'd rate them as one of the better developers for listening to the players.
The game itself is still one of my favourites but i'd agree there are a few holes in it - the tactical combat isn't great and its far easier to win following an aggresive, militaristic path than a diplomatic and economic.
Old June 9, 2002, 00:11   #35
SnowFire
Emperor

The patches probably came out after I had stopped playing the game and stopped checking. I remember finding nothing at the website except some screenshots and "Coming Soon!" when it had already come out.
Old June 11, 2002, 10:45   #36
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 03:55
Civ 2: Test Of Time

I know, I know its no great game (civ2 MGE is) but
I would have still wanted it. when it was out I thought
it was too expensive and I'll wait until its half price,
but that never came.
Old June 11, 2002, 12:44   #37
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
I regret not keeping my 486/33 running dos 6.1 and windows 3.11.
I wonder if I could put mine back together, it's in pieces in my parents' basement. Good idea. I now have a project.

Quote:
I also regret not getting into Ultima while it was coming out. I have the Ultima collection, but I keep getting distracted by the oldness of it.
Don't worry too much about I through III. IV is a good starting point and it's not so bad to play on a modern PC with MoSlo.
Old June 11, 2002, 14:22   #38
SnowFire
Emperor

You can also play Ultima IV on a NES emulator if you don't want to slow down your computer. The NES version wasn't too bad actually from what I've heard.

I re-installed Imperialism II since I realized I hadn't played it in awhile (Hard mode with some minor customizaitons- food tech at normal, diplomatic penalties on impossible, Indian strength strong, not that it'll help them much). It was fun, and then the first war came which was fun for a bit... and then I remembered why I stopped playing. Imp2 games always undergo this critical bifurcation around the time of the 1st war: either you won't be ready yet and will lose all your New World colonies (so you're doomed, the rest of the game doesn't even need to be played); or you will be ready, and will pretty much be forced to sweep through almost all of your opponent(s) NW colonies to get their bullheaded minds to offer peace. And since it's generally the strongest power that declared war on you (was in my case), and you've just doubled the size of your New World holdings, you might as well call teh rest of the game then, too. No point.

I suppose Imp2 might be fun multiplayer, but it's impossible to ever play a competitive endgame, or even middle game single player. You'll be dead or ruling. And there is no hotseat option for multiplay. A shame, because the economic buildup aspects are still a lot of fun, it's just disheartening to know how short the game will be.
Old June 12, 2002, 03:11   #39
aaglo
King

Local Time: 04:55
Oh, I almost forgot the one game I really missed.
CIV2!
Old June 12, 2002, 09:43   #40
Footie Mad
Prince

Warcraft 2, though I got it a few years later it still was great even though it was old. It lead me into the addictive world of starcraft on bnet .
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old June 12, 2002, 11:12   #41
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
world of starcraft on bnet .
Its a phenomenon, isn't it?
Old June 12, 2002, 13:24   #42
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 19:55
-- Master of Orion. (Granted, I hadn't heard of it until I played the Civ II scenario.)

-- Not a PC game, but: Phantasy Star IV. (Best Genesis RPG there was.)
Old June 14, 2002, 15:54   #43
Juggler
Prince

Civ2 FW & MGE
HOMM (all 3 games)
Starcraft (at first I thought it was just another crappy game but later on I changed my mind)
Old June 15, 2002, 11:51   #44
Rex Little
Prince

Local Time: 01:55
Quote:
Civ 2: Test Of Time

I know, I know its no great game (civ2 MGE is) but
I would have still wanted it. when it was out I thought
it was too expensive and I'll wait until its half price,
but that never came.
Keep trying. I found it for $10 in a bargain bin some time back, though I grant you I haven't seen it lately.

Quote:
Don't worry too much about I through III. IV is a good starting point
I thought III was just as much fun as IV.
Old June 15, 2002, 14:04   #45
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

well, i regret not buying civ 2 the most.

another thing i regret is selling my copy of shining force 2. oh man that game is inpossible to find, i paid 45 bucks for it, and its a gennesis game! then i sold it for 1.50 a few years later. :sad: i downloaded it, but it just isnt the same as having friends over and playing the game all night long
Old June 16, 2002, 00:09   #46
SnowFire
Emperor

Hmph. A bit old now, but my replay of Imp2 has reminded me of just how good some of the elements in EU are.

This time I was doing Nigh-on-Impossible on the Europe map, and I chose Britain (for obvious reasons). It actually went reasonably well at first- through a combination of luck and playing my cards right, I managed to get an army fairly early without totally sacking my economy, and grabbed some reasonably choice provinces without appearing to be too attractive a target. And then I built up. I had enough time to actually start marching a teensy bit up the tech tree (had great Cossacks and useless, step-backward Lancers, was getting close to Musketeers).

The first war was Spain going after Sweden- Spain thankfully bordered the Swedish provinces more, and the incompotent AI doesn't know how to handle the Swedish position on real Europe that well. So they were weaker and more convenient. Good, more time to build up. I got to the point that I felt that if I was attacked I could take it- a good thing.
Next news, France signs an alliance with Portugal. Hmm... France borders me, I should be prepared. I offer an alliance to Holland, and they accept. Now I'm set!

But darn, do I wish we had EU's alliance system. There is no idea of "Alliance of nations X, Y, & Z:" rather, it's strictly between two nations. Next news: Portugal signs an alliance with Holland. And literarly 2 turns later, France declares war on me. The Portuguese are bound by the alliance, so they declare, and so are the Dutch, so they break my alliance and declare war on me. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH. I might be able to take 1 nation, but three?!

Even worse, because once you grab territory there is no conception of the original owner, the classic EU alliance-breaking strategy of ignore your other opponents and pressure one, grab some of their land, and offer status quo in return for peace- works in real life too, look at WWI Russia- has no bearing. If you lose territory, grit your teeth and prepare to keep on fighting. So I'm stuck in a drawn out war.

Also, getting rushed by an alliance in EU may suck, but it's not certain death, even if you do lose the war. You'll give away a few provinces to people and be set back some years.

Anyway, AOW2 arrived the same day this occurred, so I don't think I'll be heading back to Imp2 anytime soon. Grrr.
Old June 16, 2002, 11:36   #47
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
Oh, I almost forgot the one game I really missed.
CIV2!
what! you don't have civ2!
you REALLY should get your copy.

(ainaki) Hellsingin stokmannilla oli MGE:tä vähän aikaa sitte. sinne. heti.
Old June 17, 2002, 07:03   #48
aaglo
King

Local Time: 04:55
Usko pois ande, en oo löytäny mistään
Old June 20, 2002, 07:06   #49
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:55
Quote:
I regret not keeping my 486/33 running dos 6.1 and windows 3.11.
Same here (still, my Grandparents seem to be enjoying using it)

I regret waiting four years to buy Halflife when it would have run OK on my old Pentium I
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old June 20, 2002, 18:25   #50
Andemagne
King

Quote:
Usko pois ande, en oo löytäny mistään
ehkä sie voisit kopsata sen jostakin *vinkki, vinkki*
sehän on nyt ns. abandonvarea.
Old June 21, 2002, 09:53   #51
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
There are few games I wish I had, but never didn't.

Dark Forces (I played the demo and decided to get this game, but never found it in any store... )
Panzer General (I played Fantasy General...)
Heroes of Might and Magic (I know I would like this game, but I think I have no more spare time left)
I see a jewel case version of Dark Forces every time I go to the comp store. $9.99
Old June 21, 2002, 15:38   #52
Footie Mad
Prince

Lords of the Realm 2, it has sentimental value to me and now its gone.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old June 21, 2002, 15:54   #53
Rex Little
Prince

I keep seeing LOTR2 in jewel-case stacks for $5-10. Maybe it's different in Sweden. . .
Old July 6, 2002, 01:53   #54
Adalbertus
Prince

I wonder why so many regret not having Imperialism II. Certainly, it's not bad, but the only reason to change from playing Civ/SMAC is the the ingame almost baroque music . It's way better than Imperialism I, however.
Old July 7, 2002, 07:51   #55
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

My main gaming regrets are MP oriented. After loving Dune on my Amiga I began to hate RTS against the AI. Command and Conquer and Warcraft came out the same time I started playing civ2 with my spanking new PC, and there was no way those RTS games could compete with civ2's depth. I haven't played much RTS since. But these days the focus is more MP, and I bet I would have liked Starcraft or AOE2 MP.

Hmm, I have dsl now, and Warcraft3 has just come out over here.........perhaps it isn't too late.
Old July 11, 2002, 07:46   #56
Phil_de_geezer
Chieftain

I regret not buying Ultima 7 and particularly the Ultima Collection which was only £10. One week there were loads of copies in the shops, the next they were all gone. That was years ago and i haven't seen either since.