Old June 4, 2002, 15:00   #1
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 19:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
PBEM Do you ever just throw away a strategy on a whim??
The games take months and sometimes I find that I change the entire complexion of a game based on a single turn when I am feeling particularly peaceful, aggressive or even had a few drinks.

Examples

1. In one game I was in an involved war and had been very careful not to allow probe targets to my enemy. I played one turn after coming home late after a party and with a devil may care attitude captured several enemy bases. The enemy thanked me very much as he probed back the bases and all my tech lead as well.

2. I had a good chance to win solo and another player had been soliciting a game-long pact. I was just in a super mellow mood and emailed off a quick acceptance despite the fact that I felt a solo victory was more than possible and I had decided a couple of times not to pact. Once I sent it, I felt I had to honour it and we won as a team.

3. Started a war with two treaty-mates when they kept attacking my AI submissive after I asked them not to -- Original plan was to try to race them to transcend but again it was just a sudden decision. I opened the turn and saw they had taken a bunch of bases belonged to my sub and then just said heck with it.

So are you better at keeping to a plan? In all these instances, I could do what I did without breaking any express agreements and they were always matters that were under consideration . I had thought of warring or pacting with the particular party and rejected the idea for now and then I get the turn and go ahead without any real plan.

and its funny how often I change my mind at the last second as to which tech or SP to go for
Old June 5, 2002, 19:38   #2
IceCube
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:57
I have no mind at all...
Plan...U mean I need a plan in a PBEM game? D'OH! Knew I forgot something!

I'm brand new to PBEM and I have trouble remembering what I was planning on doing turn to turn!

Also, has anyone found that when they are in more than one PBEM game with some of the same players playing both games...that if they betray you in one game you hold it against them in the other one?

Not that I have betrayed anyone...yet but I am just wondering? I tend to be too nice cause I'm new and don't really have set plans or a strategy...I just try to get along and live a couple thousand years...even 500 would be nice!
Old June 6, 2002, 01:24   #3
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Flubber, Please let me know the next time you're planning to go to a party .
Old June 6, 2002, 11:54   #4
Darius
Prince

Party at my place!
Old June 6, 2002, 12:53   #5
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 02:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Old June 6, 2002, 14:12   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Hmmm two opponents from the CYC game are here . . . note to self-- only play the CYC game when alert and never with drinks in .

The thing is that I think we all play at all times of day and in all sorts of moods.-- although I try to get into character, my real mood has to influence things
Old June 6, 2002, 15:38   #7
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:57
Re: I have no mind at all...
Quote:
Originally posted by IceCube
Also, has anyone found that when they are in more than one PBEM game with some of the same players playing both games...that if they betray you in one game you hold it against them in the other one?
Absolutely

You'd better believe that your reputation moves with you from game to game. And I have "held my nose" and voted someone in for Governor (as it was, for that game, the right strategy for me to adopt) while remembering a drubbing at his hands in a previous game and thinking "Ah, yes. Now I can get even."

G.
Old June 6, 2002, 16:21   #8
Flubber
Deity

Re: I have no mind at all...
Quote:
Originally posted by IceCube

!
Yes if it is a betrayal-- No if it is simply a sneak attack. . . If someone attacks me when we have no special deals well thats fair ball . . . but people who break clear and explict arrangements . . . well that does not get forgotten and will be repaid if possible-- you know you cannot trust them

I don't think its right to hold grudges from game to game simply because someone wins a game. In that case it would likely be useless for a game winner to play the same people twice if they are all going to be ganged up against you from the start. Barring treachery, I like to play each game anew as a whole different world.

Once you play enough you can seperate it out a bit. The last two games with Paul for example, we were allies to transcend in one and fighting for survival in the next