Old June 5, 2002, 06:47   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 18:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
my god! it's full of STARS!
Ok, I got stars! the demo on the reccomendation of you guys here, and I am impressed!

It's like all the stuff I love about the original MOO, and more. It's not as pretty as MOO, and you can't control battles, but the amazing amount of things I can do is just great.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I downloaded the shareware 2.5 and the demo. which is more complete?

2. during the tutorial, it had me attack an alien home planet. after the battle, I discovered there was a minefield there. it didn't seem like my ships were hurt at all. does it do any good to have a minefield around your planet?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old June 5, 2002, 09:39   #2
chronocrator
Warlord

Local Time: 02:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm sorry that I cannot help you with your questions but there's a great Stars! community atStarbase Delta.
It is actually a site for the (hopefully) upcoming sequel "Stars! Supernova Genesis" (S!SG) but the forum features a Stars! section, too. I'm sure they can help you with every Stars! question you have.
Old June 5, 2002, 09:39   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 20:59
Re: my god! it's full of STARS!
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
2. during the tutorial, it had me attack an alien home planet. after the battle, I discovered there was a minefield there. it didn't seem like my ships were hurt at all. does it do any good to have a minefield around your planet?
Minefields are definately good to have around a planet. The early mines rarely destroy ships unless dispensed in massive quantities. Mines will however, do damage to ships that pass by the orbit of a planet or region of space infested with mines. I haven't played Stars! in a while but there is a way you can check the status of your fleets/ships.

Anyone remember how to do this?
Old June 5, 2002, 10:17   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
I should check out this game- nothing beats missed nostalgia.

btw, witty thread name
Old June 5, 2002, 11:26   #5
RonHiler
Warlord

Local Time: 17:59
Re: my god! it's full of STARS!
Quote:
1. I downloaded the shareware 2.5 and the demo. which is more complete?
Not 100% sure, but I think they're the same. Until you register, you're limited to 80 turns, IIRC.

Quote:
If you're moving slow enough, you won't hit mines. I think, if I remember right, warp 3 is the fastest you can safely go through a mine field. Any faster, and you'll start losing ships.

"Stars! the single player game" is pretty good. Lots of things to do and it's a great place to learn the ropes. But where Stars! really shines is in multiplayer. Taking your CA or SD race up against another player (or 16) is a total blast.

Have fun. Ron
Old June 9, 2002, 22:37   #6
Father Beast
King

This game has been sucking away my time. it's a lot of what I hoped moo2 would be. got factories to produce more resources, and mines to get the needed minerals adds a bit of added fun. the fuel system is awesome. I like the rammers which never need refueling, and the ships which do need fuel can be adjusted for speed to be able to get places. I can even send tankers and other ships to refuel stranded ships. I love it!

it lacks a bit in sound and graphics, but more than makes up for it in gameplay.

I just got stopped after 80 turns in the demo, going to try the shareware and see what it does....

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old June 10, 2002, 03:27   #7
Freeze
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:59
How did all these fish get up here anyway?
Old June 16, 2002, 17:31   #8
Father Beast
King

For those who have the choice, I recommend the shareware version over the demo. after having played through a game on both, the only difference I see is that the shareware doesn't stop you after 80 turns, and you can actually finish a game.

Good Holy Hell! but this game is big! the TINY map is about as big as a large map in MOO, and a SMALL, the size of a MOO HUGE map, as for number of stars.

For my money, the other restictions on the game: limiting to tech level 10, only tiny and small galaxies, being unable to make a custom race, make me eager enough to buy this game. come to think of it, I'm more eager now that I was able to play though to completion to buy the full game.

Couple of questions: can anyone tell me if there's any way to tell what turn I'm on? the generating for next turn goes by so fast I can't see what year it says.

can't remember the other question.

Old June 17, 2002, 19:34   #9
RonHiler
Warlord

Local Time: 17:59
>> can anyone tell me if there's any way to tell what turn I'm on? the generating for next turn goes by so fast I can't see what year it says.

If I remember right, it says above the message box. On one side it'll say "Message X of Y", and on the other it says "Turn Z".

Could be wrong about that though, it's been a while
Old June 18, 2002, 20:08   #10
axi
Prince

Local Time: 04:59
I played with the tutorial. Thank God there is one, to take me through the babysteps, or else I would be lost. The game looks good, really good. Another good piece of TBS for my private collection.
Old June 19, 2002, 07:03   #11
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by RonHiler

If I remember right, it says above the message box. On one side it'll say "Message X of Y", and on the other it says "Turn Z".
woops! Silly me! that's exactly right

Old June 26, 2002, 07:54   #12
Father Beast
King

I got the full version now, and it is sucking away massive amounts of my time. I need to get away and do something else totally different.....

Does it seem to anyone else that the 300kt/any stargate isn't nearly as useful as the any/300ly stargate? it seems to me that unlimited mass is more useful than unlimted distance. then again, I haven't been playing in a huge universe or anything. I guess I could put one of each on a stargate, but that leaves no room for a mass flinger...

speaking of mass flingers, I don't see much use for them in transferring minerals between inhabited worlds. I don't want to be taking away from an inhabited world which will need the minerals. the only thing I use mass flingers for right now is to plop a bunch of minerals on a planet before my settler arrives, to give a boost to early development.

Old June 26, 2002, 08:28   #13
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
speaking of mass flingers, I don't see much use for them in transferring minerals between inhabited worlds. I don't want to be taking away from an inhabited world which will need the minerals. the only thing I use mass flingers for right now is to plop a bunch of minerals on a planet before my settler arrives, to give a boost to early development.
Ah the mass flinger. Give it a chance.

1. you can use it as a weapon to fling minerals at enemy planets
within range

2. Later on in the game you may see one or two planets that
have massive excesses of a particular mineral that can be
flinged to a planet that needs that mineral.
Old June 27, 2002, 07:34   #14
Father Beast
King

In my current game, I have run into the Rush'ns, which are an alternate reality race. I can tell because every time I destroy their space station, their colony is destroyed. no need to send in the bomber squadrons.

I am trying to figure out just what the advantage is in being alternate reality. were I to choose it, that is. It seems that AR just has you live a different way that doesn't give the pluses other primary race traits give you. Or, the pluses are balanced by the minuses, leaving you on a level playing field with other races BEFORE you factor in their primary race traits.

Old June 27, 2002, 08:51   #15
Cookie Monster
King

Hi Father Beast

Check out this link......... http://www.crisium.com/stars/ssg/ssg.htm

This is the guide to Stars! that helped me to improve my game significantly. I highly recommend it. Good luck!