Old June 5, 2002, 21:04   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New PtW Units
Guerilla and Medieval Infantry. No other info is known. Speculate.

If anyone has any suggestions for another name than "Medieval Infantry", then they're looking for a different one, so put on your thinking caps!
Old June 5, 2002, 22:01   #2
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 06:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Landsknecht?
Old June 5, 2002, 23:09   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:03
WHere is this information from? It seems that you've been having a lot of new info lately, was there some sort of firaxis interview with monkspider i missed??

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 5, 2002, 23:10   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

The chatroom.
Old June 5, 2002, 23:11   #5
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 21:03
Call them "footmen."
Old June 5, 2002, 23:13   #6
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

lol no no no, unbeknownst to me actually, there was a chat with some of the civ crew tonight (and it's still going on if you hurry! ). I missed out on a large part of it sadly.
Old June 5, 2002, 23:16   #7
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 18:03
1. Communist Insurgent
0.0.2 Invisible to all units except Fascist Thug Made only by Communist Countries, Move unit into city to creat unhappiness, which in turn could creat civil disorder
2. Fascist Thug
0.0.2 Invisible to all units except Communist Insurgent, Made only by Fascist countires. Move unit into city to investige weather a communist insurget is operating there.

of course, first you need a fascist government =(

For WW2 unit set
1. Panzer --- Panther --- Tiger
2. U - Boat
Old June 5, 2002, 23:17   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I just discovered it...noticed there were 20 people and decided to chaeck it out!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 5, 2002, 23:22   #9
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

its on right now?
Old June 5, 2002, 23:23   #10
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Join in Lawrence
Old June 6, 2002, 05:58   #11
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I'm very excited to see the Guerilla unit in. That must mean the whole "partisan effect" from Civ2, or something close to it, is in too.

I wonder what is meant by Medieval infantry. A link between Pikeman and Musketman, or between Musketman and Rifleman, or something else?
Old June 6, 2002, 12:02   #12
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
I wonder what is meant by Medieval infantry. A link between Pikeman and Musketman, or between Musketman and Rifleman, or something else?
They said it would be like a knight without the horses. So I'm guessing it will be the upgrade of the swordsman (4-3-1, cost 60, available with chivalry).

If they are adding new units, I sincerely hope they are planning to slow the tech rate at higher difficulty levels...

Last edited by alexman; June 6, 2002 at 12:13.
Old June 6, 2002, 21:08   #13
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:03
I suppose they'll be swordsmen in full plate (as opposed to pikemen who were the core of medieval infantry). That means the Samurai will probably become unique "medieval infantry", 4.4.1, cost 60.

A name for the medieval infantry ? Maybe a "holy warrior" of some sort, "crusader", "paladin". "Longswordsman" is ridiculous. I don't think "fighter" applies, it would be too redundant with D&D
Old June 6, 2002, 21:28   #14
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

How bout Teutonic Knights? These guys were on foot and were heavily armored and used swords.
Old June 6, 2002, 21:29   #15
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Or if you wanted it to be more general, you could do "Monk-Soldiers" or as spiffor said "paladin"
Old June 7, 2002, 10:28   #16
dunk
Prince

Medeval infantry... Maybe Man at Arms.

Who knows about stats? 4-3-1 seems to high to me. Mounted knights should have a stat advantage other than movement over these units. But, 4-2-1 is the immortal, 3-3-1 is the legion.

Here's where more subtlty in the unit ADM values would be helpful.
Old June 7, 2002, 10:31   #17
dunk
Prince

Guerrilas...

Probably are available with Nationalism. 4-5-1, treats all as roads.
Old June 7, 2002, 10:49   #18
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Call them "footmen."
Another vote for Footmen.

At the right price, 4-3-1 isn't too high for the stats. And the extra movement for mounted knights does make a large difference in my opinion. Being able to retreat from combat is priceless.

I wonder if Guerrilas may serve the same purpose as Partisans in Civ2 (spring up around newly conquered cities)...? Or have hidden nationality (so you could fight a sort of like a proxy war - like we did arming the Guerillas in Afganistan vs. the Soviets)? Or are they just cheap no-resource weakened infantry? Would be fun if they added more to them than just that.
Old June 7, 2002, 11:48   #19
Jon Shafer

You forget something though. Firaxis isn't bound to the original stats for units. Swordsmen may end up being 6.4.1 before it's over with (same stat ratio as before). That leaves a lot of 'middle ground' for stats to be altered for UUs in various ways. We can't really specualte on how that will be done. I'm sure every combo of numbers has been achieved between 1 through 10 in the various sets of Civ 3 units by now, so I'm sure they're coming up with a new way to organize things. At least, I hope so...
Old June 7, 2002, 12:24   #20
Spiffor

I don't think they'll completely overhaul the rules... Modders already do so, and I think Firaxis doesn't want to force players to change their Civ3 experience. You can bet that a rule-overhaul will create much whining.
I too think that 4.3.1 for 60 shields is reasonable, because the ability to retreat is great. I think that Persians and Romans shouldn't upgrade their UUs to medieval infantry though.
Old June 7, 2002, 12:40   #21
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
Guerrilas...

Probably are available with Nationalism. 4-5-1, treats all as roads.
But guerrilas are offensive units. They attack things, they don't defend positions because they are conventionally weaker than a "regular" army.

Maybe 4-2-1 or 4-2-2.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:10   #22
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Guys... one of the firaxians in the chat said that guerillas would be a wimpy version of infantry that needed no resources... which means that they do not come around nationalism, probably closer to replaceable parts. It also means that a 4-2-1 is a bit too weak for them.

My guess is 6-6-2.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:51   #23
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver

But guerrilas are offensive units. They attack things, they don't defend positions because they are conventionally weaker than a "regular" army.

Maybe 4-2-1 or 4-2-2.
Are they really offensive? Think about it. How many guerillas are on an offensive campaign? They are defending their homes.

I think a higher defensive value reflects their actual use more acurately. They hide in jungles, mountains, forests and ambush passing enemies. They sabotage equipment. They slow down enemy advances. Etc, etc.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:53   #24
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
You forget something though. Firaxis isn't bound to the original stats for units. Swordsmen may end up being 6.4.1 before it's over with (same stat ratio as before). That leaves a lot of 'middle ground' for stats to be altered for UUs in various ways. We can't really specualte on how that will be done. I'm sure every combo of numbers has been achieved between 1 through 10 in the various sets of Civ 3 units by now, so I'm sure they're coming up with a new way to organize things. At least, I hope so...
Good point. Maybe, maybe not.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:55   #25
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
Are they really offensive? Think about it. How many guerillas are on an offensive campaign? They are defending their homes.

I think a higher defensive value reflects their actual use more acurately. They hide in jungles, mountains, forests and ambush passing enemies. They sabotage equipment. They slow down enemy advances. Etc, etc.
Very good point. I'd have to say that Guerillas are used more defensively than offensively. I mean, how often did you see waves of Partisans assaulting heavily fortified positions in Civ 2? I think that making them invisible though is a must... I mean sheesh, that's the whole point of Guerrillas...
Old June 7, 2002, 14:12   #26
Spiffor

If Guerillas are invisible, I can already hear the whining come : "it's unrealistic ! my tank died against a Guerilla I didn't see in the mountain ! Damn You Firaxis "
(Kinda redundant with the Soviet-Afghan war, isn't it ? )
Old June 7, 2002, 14:15   #27
Jon Shafer

Except the only problem with that is... Tanks dying against Guerrillas in mountains is quite realistic (Spearmen though, is another story ). I think the Soviets and the whiners should get together some time and have a pity party.
Old June 7, 2002, 15:12   #28
Carver
Prince

Compared to a unit of infatry or armour a good guerilla unit should be virtually invisible on the terrain, that's how they survive. When I think of guerilla operations I think of attacks on infastructure: powerlines, damms, harbours, oil platforms, bridges and roads - maybe quick ambushes of gov't troops. They like quick in-and-out operations because guerillas don't have the capacity for sustained conventional combat against a "national" army with infatry, armour, aircraft and artillery.

Dunk, they hide in jungles, mountains ect. becuase they know if they get exposed and have to fight a real fight, they're in trouble. I don't know what Firaxis will do but at least we can always change the values in the ed.
Old June 7, 2002, 15:30   #29
Spiffor

To me, it's clear that Guerilla will treat all terrain as roads, will have hidden nationality, and will be very weak (5.6.1 if they replace infantry).
The only problem is that, if you don't have rubber, your "normal" defenders will be guerillas
Old June 7, 2002, 16:03   #30
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Can anyone find the exact chat quotes about the Guerilla and Medieval Infantry units? I would like to know for sure if they're called cheaper versions of infantry that require no resources. And I believe I saw M. Infantry called Knights without horses or something to that effect.

Having Guerilla not come till Infantry times seems pretty late. Maybe the start appearing spontaneously with Nationalism or Communism or the like, but you can't actually build them until later? In either case, it seems pretty obvious they should have the hidden nationality flag.

If M. Infantry come around the same time as Knight, and thus Pikeman, what's the point? Maybe Pikeman will be weaker but have a double bonus against mounted units, a la Civ2. Then you'd want to build both. If M. Infantry are "Knights without horses" then they should be called Men at Arms, cos that's exactly what those were.