Old June 9, 2002, 14:31   #31
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 20:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Appearances can be deceiving.

By that, Firaxis never admits Korea is in; nor does it admit the Hwacha is a UU, just an arty piece.

A lot of assuming is going on about what was implied or not denied in that chat. The questions were NOT answered directly in most cases, the cases that mattered for example.

If the Hwacha is a UU for Korea, then not being able to cause a GA would be a major disadvantage for the more militant players that use UU's for such purposes. But, his answer was: there are other ways to get a GA. Now, this could mean the Hwacha is a UU that can't cause GA's; it could mean the Hwacha is not a UU; it could mean a lot of things totally unrelated to whether it is a UU.

The Hwacha could be a new arty piece available to flesh out arty since it is so limited. It might not even be considered arty in the Civ 3 sense, consider the Cruise Missile as an example of this.

I don't know if Korea is in or not. I will find out soon enough, as will we all. It is just there is some faulty logic being used to determine that Korea is indeed in, when the evidence doesn't justify it. I wouldn't give it higher than a 75% chance of Korea being in. That said, other limited evidence gives other civs about the same chance of being in.

I suspect that will be pleasant/unpleasant surprises all around once all the details come in when it is actually released. By this, I mean, somethings that we are certain are in may not be, or may not be in the way some people wanted them to be.

I think discussion can be good and challenging.
Old June 9, 2002, 14:57   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ranskaldan

The editor'd better be good.......!
hi ,

dont worry , they have all-ready show they are able , ....

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; June 9, 2002 at 20:14.
Old June 9, 2002, 15:30   #33
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

How? We can't do much in creating good scenarios, can we?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 9, 2002, 16:25   #34
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 03:03
People, please... Historical significance has nothing to do with civs in PtW. Crass marketing has...

Since the Incas are out and Koreans in (?) it means that Firaxis/Infogrames marketing department has bigger expectations the game will sell more in Korea than in Peru
Old June 9, 2002, 16:34   #35
ranskaldan
Prince

Local Time: 21:03
Indeed.......

Well we wouldn't be needing the Turks or Carthaginians then. Replacing them with the Dutch and Portuguese also seems to fit the Firaxis/Infogrames policies.
Old June 9, 2002, 17:00   #36
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:03
And the Iroquois! Where did they come from!
Old June 9, 2002, 17:11   #37
ranskaldan
Prince

Errr..... demands by Amerinds groups in America?

Remember, by and large, these games are marketed to the USA.
Old June 9, 2002, 17:18   #38
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Errr..... demands by Amerinds groups in America?

Remember, by and large, these games are marketed to the USA.
Demands by the First Nationers are rarely listened to in the USA. Otherwise, the whole country would have been given back to them, or at least their poverty level and homes would be much better condition. People would also stop using the R word, like they have the N word.

It was probably decided that since they were represented in Civ 2, it would be good for some to be in 3. Hopefully, it was out of respect for the accomplishments of the various First Nationers.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:13   #39
Veracitas
Warlord

Local Time: 02:03
So, when will firaxis cut the foreplay and finally release all the real info?
Old June 9, 2002, 21:07   #40
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:03
They said during the chat that they were going to release info to certain sites as marketing teasers.
Old June 10, 2002, 05:52   #41
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
Indeed.......

Well we wouldn't be needing the Turks or Carthaginians then. Replacing them with the Dutch and Portuguese also seems to fit the Firaxis/Infogrames policies.
Exactly, who cares about Tunisia? Turkey should be a growing market though.
Old June 10, 2002, 05:53   #42
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
And the Iroquois! Where did they come from!
General PC, goodwill is also important in marketing...
Old June 10, 2002, 05:57   #43
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by kring

Demands by the First Nationers are rarely listened to in the USA. Otherwise, the whole country would have been given back to them, or at least their poverty level and homes would be much better condition. People would also stop using the R word, like they have the N word.

It was probably decided that since they were represented in Civ 2, it would be good for some to be in 3. Hopefully, it was out of respect for the accomplishments of the various First Nationers.
The Iroquis weren´t represented in CivII, but the Sioux were. They just changed one native civ for another...
Old June 10, 2002, 10:04   #44
kring
King

The they I was referring to was First Nationers, not the Iroquios specificially. I have the game, still play it sometimes. They may still bring back the Sioux in another XP.

For those who don't know First Nationers are more commonly called Indians, Native Americans, AmerInd, etc.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:45   #45
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
How? We can't do much in creating good scenarios, can we?
hi ,

just wait and see , ........

have a nice day
Old June 10, 2002, 15:39   #46
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
The they I was referring to was First Nationers, not the Iroquios specificially. I have the game, still play it sometimes. They may still bring back the Sioux in another XP.

For those who don't know First Nationers are more commonly called Indians, Native Americans, AmerInd, etc.
Sorry I thought you were referring to the Iroquios...
Old June 10, 2002, 15:45   #47
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

I don't want to start a huge Iroqouis debate, but the First Nationers are too large and unique of a group to not include in Civ. Preferably at a high prioritiy IMHO.
Old June 10, 2002, 16:05   #48
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Kring :
Sure, Korea is probably only at 75% probability, but it's the only Civ for which we have material to speculate upon. Everything we can say about the Inca or the Hebrews is pure speculation, as absolutely nothing confirms or deny their presence. But OTOH, we have the Hwacha pic, with its specific Korean name.
Do you know any material which gives indication the Inca / Hebrews, whatever micht be in ?

(sorry if I sound rough, but I've seen someone taking it for certain the Inca will be in. His proof ? "Firaxis wouldn't be stupid enough not to give another American Civ" )
Old June 10, 2002, 16:23   #49
ranskaldan
Prince

It's a pity if Inca doesn't get in.
Old June 10, 2002, 16:28   #50
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Kring :
Sure, Korea is probably only at 75% probability, but it's the only Civ for which we have material to speculate upon. Everything we can say about the Inca or the Hebrews is pure speculation, as absolutely nothing confirms or deny their presence. But OTOH, we have the Hwacha pic, with its specific Korean name.
Do you know any material which gives indication the Inca / Hebrews, whatever micht be in ?

(sorry if I sound rough, but I've seen someone taking it for certain the Inca will be in. His proof ? "Firaxis wouldn't be stupid enough not to give another American Civ" )
hi ,

the "hwacha" could be from the japanese scenario they are putting in .

as for the Hebrews , one of the problems the have is the name , Israel' , or Jews , and guys dont make this in an off-topic now because of the above , thanks in advance

its a pitty they did not put the Inca in , even if it was to fill the worldmap , more exact South America , ...

have a nice day
Old June 10, 2002, 17:03   #51
Spiffor

Panag :
Sure, it's not sure the Hwacha is the Korean UU, and thus it's not sure Korea is in. What I meant in my previous post is that we have a bit of information for Korea, but we have nothing at all for other Civs...
There is only one thing which supports the idea that Incas or Hebrews might be in. It's pure speculation and the desire to see them included.
What supports the Korea thesis is a possibly unrelated picture and unclear statement by Firaxians. It's not enough to be sure Korea might be in, but these are clues. Other Civs didn't give any clues.
Old June 10, 2002, 17:21   #52
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Panag :
Sure, it's not sure the Hwacha is the Korean UU, and thus it's not sure Korea is in. What I meant in my previous post is that we have a bit of information for Korea, but we have nothing at all for other Civs...
There is only one thing which supports the idea that Incas or Hebrews might be in. It's pure speculation and the desire to see them included.
What supports the Korea thesis is a possibly unrelated picture and unclear statement by Firaxians. It's not enough to be sure Korea might be in, but these are clues. Other Civs didn't give any clues.
hi ,

True , and maybe they are going to realease something totally different , ........

the only thing we can do is keep our fingers crossed

have a nice day
Old June 10, 2002, 20:21   #53
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Korea has at one time or another been considered a vassal or either China or Japan. Most Chinese view Korea as a sattelite state, and Korea is a distinctive iteration of the Chinese culture.

No offense to Koreans, but it Korea makes it into PTW, it won't be on its merit as a civilization, its nothing but pandering by Firaxis to Korean gamers in an attempt to sell more units in PC gaming hungry Korea.
Old June 10, 2002, 22:22   #54
ranskaldan
Prince

Well, I'm Chinese, and that's not exactly how I view the Korean civilization.

In fact, you could argue that Korean, Japanese, and all Oriental culture stem from Chinese civilization, in the same way that all of European civilization derives from the Greco-Roman civilization.

But that is of course an oversimplification, and anyway, we aren't about to take the Japanese, French or British out of the game anyway.

Unless you want to argue that the only reason the French or Japanese civilizations are in is to please the French or Japanese, I don't see why the Koreans shouldn't be in due to their merits as a civilization.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:46   #55
kring
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

the "hwacha" could be from the japanese scenario they are putting in .

20:55:13 [monkspider] Firaxis: Can you comment whether or not the Hwacha unit featured in several screenshots is part of the feudal japan theme pack?

20:55:23 [JeffreyMorrisFIRAXIS] Monk: It is not.

This from the chat the other day.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:50   #56
kring
King

Quote:
Kring :

You didn't sound rough.

I don't have any indication as to the last 2 civs will be, and if I did get it, I would be unable to share it until it was approved from above. As it stands now, I don't know nor do I care to guess. There are a number of logical reasons where the Hwacha is in, but the Koreans wouldn't have to be. Until I know more, I am not going to say yes they are in. At the same time, a person could make several arguments for them being in. Wait and see, I must.
Old June 11, 2002, 14:17   #57
Veracitas
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
Korea has at one time or another been considered a vassal or either China or Japan. Most Chinese view Korea as a sattelite state, and Korea is a distinctive iteration of the Chinese culture.

No offense to Koreans, but it Korea makes it into PTW, it won't be on its merit as a civilization, its nothing but pandering by Firaxis to Korean gamers in an attempt to sell more units in PC gaming hungry Korea.
I agree wholly with ranskaldan. "No offense"? I'm sorry, but that was really offensive. Aren't you offended everytime an American claims that Canada is a US sattelite state with no distinct culture? I've heard the term "Canada is the US's biotch" many, many times. All my Canadian friends vehemently object, of course.

Of course, few here realize that Canada is actually one of the wealthiest nations in the world. According to THE WORLD BANK, Canada actually has the 8th largest economy. But, if you look a few spaces down, tiny South Korea actually holds the number 12 spot (it was number 11 before the IMF crisis). Pretty good for a country that you claim doesn't have merits as a civilization, eh?

Like many who were raised with a Western historical perspective, you seem to have little clue what Korea's past really was like. All you see are the periods of Chinese suzerainty, Japanese imperialization, the miseries of the Korean War, and US economic domination.

Even during these times, Korean history is fascinating, but there's much more, too, that you don't see--during these times and others.
Old June 11, 2002, 14:24   #58
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

20:55:13 [monkspider] Firaxis: Can you comment whether or not the Hwacha unit featured in several screenshots is part of the feudal japan theme pack?

20:55:23 [JeffreyMorrisFIRAXIS] Monk: It is not.

This from the chat the other day.
hi ,

hang on , somewhere the made it look like it was , ...

well anyway , lets hope more and more units come in

however it would be very nice from firaxis , if they could give us some news , ......even if it was a little bit , ....

have a nice day
Old June 14, 2002, 02:47   #59
Veracitas
Warlord

out of curiosity, where IS this hwacha screenshot i've been hearing so much about?
Old June 14, 2002, 07:59   #60
Spiffor

Veracitas :
http://apolyton.net/view.php?/civ3/i...a-Portrait.jpg

It comes from the screenshot pack that was shipped by Infogrames in the E3. I can't find it anymore on the Infogrames site, though. It's called Hwacha directly in this pack.