MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Veracitas :
http://apolyton.net/view.php?/civ3/i...a-Portrait.jpg

It comes from the screenshot pack that was shipped by Infogrames in the E3. I can't find it anymore on the Infogrames site, though. It's called Hwacha directly in this pack.
hi ,

it was posted a while ago , we put all the shots on it at max resolution , ...

the thread id is : 50650 page 6 , ..
good luck

have a nice day
Old June 14, 2002, 23:49   #62
TVA22
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:03
To those who have been defending Korean legitimacy, and the fact that they are a distinct civilization, cheers! and thank-you!

This is the first time I've been back to Apolyton in 8 months, I left because this place is so filled up with people who just bash oriental civilizations over and over and over again- people whose narrow view of the world is completely centered around europe, and their own backyards.

Thank-you, for showing me that I'm not the only one out there who isn't totally ignorant of non-western humanity.
Old June 15, 2002, 12:52   #63
TrueLight
Settler

How did the Vikings and Carthrage get in PtW?

I dont think that will change but what will there UU be?
Cathrage cant have elephants since India has them already? And what about Vikings, will they copy off AoE, Bersekers?

I havent seen any of the preview. That is why I dont know.
Old June 15, 2002, 13:10   #64
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 20:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't know about Carthage UU, but Berserk is in screen shots and more likely the Viking UU.
Old June 15, 2002, 17:04   #65
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Veracitas
But, if you look a few spaces down, tiny South Korea actually holds the number 12 spot (it was number 11 before the IMF crisis). Pretty good for a country that you claim doesn't have merits as a civilization, eh?
This is completely meaningless. If California were an independent country it would be #9 on the list. Does that mean we need a Californian civ?

It's interesting to note that just 40 years ago Korea was considered poor even by Asian standards
Old June 16, 2002, 14:52   #66
Veracitas
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

This is completely meaningless. If California were an independent country it would be #9 on the list. Does that mean we need a Californian civ?

It's interesting to note that just 40 years ago Korea was considered poor even by Asian standards
That kind of argument is completely meaningless. The fact is, California is NOT it's own independent country (even though it vaguely feels like it at times!). If, say, it and Texas were to found their own respective republics (Bear and Lone Star, for instance), then yes, they would have powerful economies, but the US would consequently be weakened a great deal, as well. You can't go around combining and taking apart nations saying "well, look at this combo.." For instance, what if you took all the EU nations together and made it a United States of Europe? That would change up rankings quite a bit, too, right? Most likely in the Koreans favor, since a lot of those top countries are in the EU, pushing up everyone's rankings. You also must know, of course, that Korea isn't even whole as a country. North Korea is actually MUCH richer in natural resources and economic potential than South Korea, and also has the 6th largest army in the world. Many Koreans are bitter towards the US, Russia (well, the USSR), and especially Japan (a large part of their early recovery after WWII was due to the fact that they sold large amounts of weapons to BOTH sides during the Korean War).

Your last sentence is very interesting. True, about 40 or 50 years ago, Korea was on an economic level with some of the poorest African nations. Which merely makes it more amazing how quickly they've turned things around.

But, by bringing up that example, you're trying to argue that Korea was insignifcant in the past, aren't you? Ok, well, let's see...even only a 100 years ago, the US wasn't a major geo-political power. A few hundred years ago and the US didn't even exist. Also, a few hundred years ago, Korea (well, one of the three Korean kingdoms, Koguryo) was the mightiest power in Asia, rivalling the current Tang Dynasty in China and controlling all of current day North Korea and a huge chunk of Manchuria. In fact, constant warfare with the Chinese actually caused the COLLAPSE of the Chinese Tang dynasty. ON TOP OF THAT, there were TWO MORE Korean kingdoms that all fought amongst themselves. The reason that Koguryo fell from power was that an embittered Sui dynasty (the dynasty that emerged in China after Tang fell) allied itself with another Korean kingdom (Silla) to overthrow Koguryo and Paekche (the third kingdom). BIG MISTAKE, because after the Chinese pulverized the once mighty Koguryo (the Chinese hated them so much that they burned EVERYTHING to the extent that modern scholars can only speculate on the everyday aspects of the kingdom) and Paekche, they came after Silla. If Silla hadn't fought back so valiantly, Korea might today just be another Chinese province. Instead, they accepted nominal Chinese suzerainty.

But, if Koguryo had not lost the war and absorbed the Sui instead, who knows what sort of world power the Koreans might be today instead of economic lackeys of the US?
Old June 16, 2002, 15:13   #67
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Probably a bigger reason for Korea's dislike of Japan would be the treatment of the Koreans under Japanese control before and during WW2.

It is still not definite that Korea is in. Sure, the Hwacha is a Korean arty piece, but that doesn't guarantee it is in. There are a number of equally reasonable explanations, as have been previously stated. Also, it would be the first civ (IF it is in) to have an arty UU (IF the Hwacha is indeed Korea's UU).
Old June 16, 2002, 15:15   #68
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
That kind of argument is completely meaningless.
Actually it is was quite relavent because it shows how a seemingly impressive number like #12 economy really isn't all it is cracked up to be.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like Korea, I've been there many times, and I've spent about six months of my life there (I even had a chance to study much of the history you spoke about while I was there). Admitably that's not a huge amount of time but it is long enough to get a feel for a small country like Korea. I thoruoghly enjoy the country and admire its people. That said I still feel there are other countries which are more deserving of inclusion.

Personally I think countries which have had a greater world impact (such as Holland or Portugal) or who come from areas which are poorly represented in Civ3 (such as the Inca or the Ethiopians) should get the green light before Korea. Yes, Korea is a unique country. Yes, it has an interesting history. No, it doesn't merit inclusion.

Quote:
But, if Koguryo had not lost the war and absorbed the Sui instead, who knows what sort of world power the Koreans might be today instead of economic lackeys of the US?
Ifs, maybes, and might have beens are not a solid way to make decisions. Also did you stop and consider that Koreas economic co-opporation with the U.S. is one of the primary reasons for its recent economic vitality? Summurizing the relationship as a "lackey" is very simplistic and displays a lack of understanding in international relations.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 20, 2002, 16:52   #69
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 18:03
Quote:
But, by bringing up that example, you're trying to argue that Korea was insignifcant in the past, aren't you? Ok, well, let's see...even only a 100 years ago, the US wasn't a major geo-political power. A few hundred years ago and the US didn't even exist. Also, a few hundred years ago, Korea (well, one of the three Korean kingdoms, Koguryo) was the mightiest power in Asia, rivalling the current Tang Dynasty in China and controlling all of current day North Korea and a huge chunk of Manchuria. In fact, constant warfare with the Chinese actually caused the COLLAPSE of the Chinese Tang dynasty. ON TOP OF THAT, there were TWO MORE Korean kingdoms that all fought amongst themselves. The reason that Koguryo fell from power was that an embittered Sui dynasty (the dynasty that emerged in China after Tang fell) allied itself with another Korean kingdom (Silla) to overthrow Koguryo and Paekche (the third kingdom). BIG MISTAKE, because after the Chinese pulverized the once mighty Koguryo (the Chinese hated them so much that they burned EVERYTHING to the extent that modern scholars can only speculate on the everyday aspects of the kingdom) and Paekche, they came after Silla. If Silla hadn't fought back so valiantly, Korea might today just be another Chinese province. Instead, they accepted nominal Chinese suzerainty.

Verancitas....... Where did u learn this? Sui destroyed itself mainly because they attacked Koguryo with more than 1,100,000 men and lost.

The combined forces of Tang and Silla destroyed Koguryo, but really Koguryo destroyed themselves (the main reason that they lost was because two princes divided the nation by 2 to obtain the throne in the middle of the war against Tang and Silla).

Quote:
Personally I think countries which have had a greater world impact (such as Holland or Portugal) or who come from areas which are poorly represented in Civ3 (such as the Inca or the Ethiopians) should get the green light before Korea. Yes, Korea is a unique country. Yes, it has an interesting history. No, it doesn't merit inclusion.
That is ur opinion and i respect it. But it is arguable that Korea has equal impact in the world as Japan (specially because Koreans taught Japanese people most of aspects of civilization such as writting, bronce and iron working, etc.). And before 16th century, Korea had much more impact in East Asian history than Japan. I guess ur "world impact" is more of a "western world impact"
Old June 20, 2002, 19:03   #70
Bisonbison
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:03
I think Korea is tops. It's a great peninsula, even better than florida!

But there are already 4 central or east asian civs, and only three in all of the Americas. I'm all for clutching at the faded remnants of a once proud nation, but in many ways Korea = Poland. And Poland doesn't deserve a spot.

And don't try to argue with me on that last point. I anticipate all your responses ahead of time:

You will claim:

1. Poland is in Europe and Korea is in Asia.

You're wrong. Europe and Asia are clearly one continent arbitrarily divided in two to perpetuate a false distinction between its peoples. Therefore? Poland is in Asia too.

2. Korea did really cool things and fought wars and was real important way back when.

You're wrong. The things Korea did were lame or at best just average, and the wars they fought and the importance they enjoyed were dumb. Just like Poland. I mean Poland was huge in the thirteenth century, but a good mongol invasion was all Poland or Korea needed to revert to their third-teir ways for the rest of history.

3. Even now, Korea does important stuff.

You're wrong. South Koreans do mediocre stuff, like play counter-strike and win soccer matches. North Koreans are busy trying not to starve to death in the grip of an absolutist regime. Korea itself does very little. It is an arbitrarily defined geographical region. It just kind of sits there while Koreans do things on top of it. Poland, as I need not remind you, is not divided, and so achieves its mediocrity all at once

4. Asia w/Korea is still way less crowded than Europe w/o Poland.

You're wrong. Europe and Asia are the same landmass, so any additional civ increases the crowding for all of it. If you're so concerned about crowding why don't you look at South America?

5. People who don't want a Korean civ hate Koreans.

You're wrong. People who do want a Korean civ hate Koreans, because including a Korean civ will likely increase sales of Civ3 in South Korea, thereby keeping more South Koreans inactive in front of their computers instead of outside beating Italy in the world cup. Now who hates Koreans? You do!
Old June 20, 2002, 21:51   #71
sm24
Settler

I've been a lurker on these boards for a long time, so please accept my apologies in advance if I trip over myself in my first post.

With respect to Korea - maybe it's an oversimplification to say simply "games are games" and civ3 is not intended to resemble life nor is it a simulation of life; ("life" meaning the grand sweep of history and cultures).

Putting aside this simple dimestore philosophy, if you want to evaluate whether Korea (or any other civ should be in a "game"), consider the span of time in the game. Ask yourself, what civilizations (cultures) have been around in a coherent fashion and for how long? The Babylonians? A brief stint of only a couple of hundreds years (preceded and followed by Sumer, Assyria, Hittites and Medes). (Apologies to any die-hard Babylonians out there.) The point is the same could be done with many of the civs in the game. Most of them have brief moments of identity in a sweep of time.

In terms of Korea, if you wanted to measure continuity in terms of an identified people, a language, a place, a culture, Korea has many of these factors for a far longer time than most of the civs in the game. Many folks here seem to have some idea of this. For those that don't, take time to find out. It's pretty damn interesting (and maybe it will lead you to find out why Andy Grove gave a speech a few years ago entitled "I fear Korea.")

Now the same argument can be made to include "Eskimos" as a civ in the game. And quite possibly, if Eskimos has the resources to develop further in organization they would have had acendencies and declines in the scope of history.

O.K., so someone should say "what's the point?" Simply this, reach beyond what you know and, in a game playing mode, simply ask "would it be fun to play as X in achieving a continuity in the scope of time."

(As background, I've lived in Japan for about five years and have lived in Korea for the past 4 years. If anyone wanted to know whether the Korean psyche is unique, they should have been with me in the Daejon Stadium last Tuesday. I have never experience such a large collective set of emotions galvanized into a collective pride of culture and being.)

Anyway, my two cents...or more like half a buck at this point.
Old June 20, 2002, 21:53   #72
thinkingamer
Warlord

Bison, ur unsupported statements only reveals ur loving affection towards the Koreans people.

Last edited by thinkingamer; June 20, 2002 at 22:26.
Old June 21, 2002, 00:34   #73
kring
King

sm24, good first post. Looking forward to hearing more from you on all subjects.

Time will tell whether or not the Koreans are in. I have no personal preference. They are either in or they aren't. We can't change it either way. I will play all 8 civs, whatever they may be.

Last edited by kring; June 22, 2002 at 00:29.
Old June 21, 2002, 18:27   #74
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by thinkingamer I guess ur "world impact" is more of a "western world impact"
No, when I say world impact I mean being an active military/economic/political force in many different parts of the world. To continue the previous example countries that have had large overseas positions (such as Holland, Portugal, or even Turkey) would qualify while regional powers such as Korea, Afganistan, and others would not.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 21, 2002, 18:59   #75
Mikhail
Chieftain

*sigh*

Two things:

1. Korea deserves be in Civ 3

2. As do 30 other civilizations
The two real political parties in America are the Winners and the Losers. The people don't acknowledge this. They claim membership in two imaginary parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, instead." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. My (crappy) LiveJournal
Old June 21, 2002, 19:21   #76
Oerdin
Deity

I actually think Korea will be in the expansion pack because Korea is a big software consumer. I just can't hide my disappointment that other more deserving civs didn't make the cut.
Old June 22, 2002, 00:53   #77
thinkingamer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

No, when I say world impact I mean being an active military/economic/political force in many different parts of the world. To continue the previous example countries that have had large overseas positions (such as Holland, Portugal, or even Turkey) would qualify while regional powers such as Korea, Afganistan, and others would not.

Oerdin.... imperializim is a western world value, not a Eastern one. But yes, in ur point of view, Korea doesnt deserve to be in the expansion. But for Koreans surviveving for more than 3000 years is a value.

Besides, while someone can consider an overseapower influence a possitive influence, it can also be a negative influence to others. I mean, all South American nations that were influenced by the Spanish thinks that what Spanish did to them was not right, and they have their own identity (which in overall its not necessary a good influence).
Old June 24, 2002, 16:33   #78
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

Korean War: The Forgoten War and other trivia of the new Civ
I dont mind Korea being in the expantion pack. The Koreans would be a perfict civilization for a Korean War Scenario. ( I just hope Firaxis include the MiG-15 and the F-86 Saber ). The Americans can represent the UN forces while the Koreans represents there northern counterpart, China would be in the scenario too. I dont remember what role China played in the Korean war but I do remember MacArthur wanted to go pass the river bordering the two countries. Thankfuly Truman held him back (and removed him from his possition.) If MacArthur did went pased "The river bordering China and North Korea" the result would be a nuclear war.
Korea defenatly has a lot of culture and history. They defenatly do not want China and Japan on there land (Correct me if I am wrong), the same thing with Vieatnam. The Vietnamies did not what Chiniese troops on there turf.

Quote:
You're wrong. Europe and Asia are clearly one continent arbitrarily divided in two to perpetuate a false distinction between its peoples. Therefore? Poland is in Asia too. - Bisonbison
I guess thats why modern geography books in school calls Europe and Asia Euroasia

Quote:
I think Korea is tops. It's a great peninsula, even better than florida! - Bisonbison
Only one problem. The winters are harsh. (See any History book, They usualy show some of the Korean War pictures in the winter season. Quite plesent in the summer and harsh in the winter. With the exception of the peninsula whitch is larger than Florada, Korea does not resemble Florada, It resembles more like the Albany area of New York state.

Quote:
5. People who don't want a Korean civ hate Koreans.

You're wrong. People who do want a Korean civ hate Koreans, because including a Korean civ will likely increase sales of Civ3 in South Korea, thereby keeping more South Koreans inactive in front of their computers instead of outside beating Italy in the world cup. Now who hates Koreans? You do!
As I said before, I dont mind Korea . For any people who do not like the Koreans, There is always the editor that comes with the game to rename them (The Civ's name.

Quote:
I dont think that will change but what will there UU be?
Cathrage cant have elephants since India has them already? And what about Vikings, will they copy off AoE, Bersekers?
-TrueLight
The Viking can have two UU. The Bersekers (Or Huskarl), and the Longboat (More supperior version of the Galley that has the abbility to stop on ocean tiles with out sinking)

The Cathrage can have a diffrent version of the elephants than the Indians and would be advalible earlyer than the Indian's Elephant unit
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old June 24, 2002, 17:48   #79
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Suggestion for one of the Great Leaders of the Korean Civ:

Guus Hiddink!*

When you see the current reactions of the Koreans towards the World Cup results of their team, I seriously think Koreans will approve to this idea.

*for the Americans and other peoplke who don't like football among you, he's the manager of the Korean squad, and not only guided them to their first ever WC win, but so far all the way to the semis.
Old June 24, 2002, 18:02   #80
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
Re: Korean War: The Forgoten War and other trivia of the new Civ
Quote:
Originally posted by Civfan01

The Viking can have two UU. The Bersekers (Or Huskarl), and the Longboat (More supperior version of the Galley that has the abbility to stop on ocean tiles with out sinking)
don't know about the longboat, but we've got pretty sound evidence they are getting the berserker:
http://apolyton.net/civ3/images/view...d-Airfield.jpg
Old June 24, 2002, 18:04   #81
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
maybe it's like a swordsman + ability to make amphibious assaults
Old June 24, 2002, 18:18   #82
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
don't know about the longboat, but we've got pretty sound evidence they are getting the berserker: -Gangerolf
The Vikings are still building there berserkers in thw modern era.
I guess that where the term "Dont go Berserk" came from.

Ok back on topic:

Quote:
Suggestion for one of the Great Leaders of the Korean Civ: Guus Hiddink!* -Gangerolf
Can anyone find other Famous Korean Leaders/Generals to add to the names in the Great Leaders?
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old June 25, 2002, 15:47   #83
Tridotan1
Settler

By reading most of this thread it seems blindingly obvious that only one of the Ottomans and the Arabs exist. They are both Arabs, they both have bits of evidence here and there and, afterall it would be quite clever, from a marketing point of view, to keep the final civ under wraps until relaease date.
I think we can keep guessing about one more civ, maybe since so many people think they should exist it will be the Hebrews, or perhaps the Polish, Canadians, Australians, Incas or Austrians. Who knows?
Old June 25, 2002, 21:10   #84
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 22:03
Quote:
it seems blindingly obvious that only one of the Ottomans and the Arabs exist. They are both Arabs, they both have bits of evidence here and there and, afterall it would be quite clever, from a marketing point of view, to keep the final civ under wraps until relaease date.
Some Turk is going to kill you for that. And I hope they are both in.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 25, 2002, 23:17   #85
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 13:03
Quote:
That would also disqualify Persia, Babylon, Egypt, Rome, Greece, Zululand, Aztecs and Iroqouis at least.
Old June 26, 2002, 01:54   #86
Q Classic
Emperor

so true. i have to say, korea hasn't had the benefit of persian, babylonaian, egyptian, roman, greek, zulu, aztec, iroquois, portuguese, spanish, italian, polish...
Old June 26, 2002, 16:08   #87
siredgar
Prince

It is apparent that many of you have not even studied Korean history prior to the 17th Century. If you had, you would recognize that the Koreans established one of the greatest civilizations in history.

It is quite interesting to note that there are posters here citing Japanese occupation (1910-1945), the Korean War (1950-1953), and the rags-to-riches story of Korean economic recovery (1960-1990) as factors to determining Korea as a "worthy" civilization. People, these are ALL events from the 20th Century!

Indeed, it is unfair to judge a civilization with over 5,000 years of history based on a single century. For those of you that do, why don't you apply the same logic to Greece or Egypt?

Korea has one of the longest-lasting and yet most advanced civilizations of the world:

Did you know that the Koreans defeated the Chinese many, many times, even leading to the collapse of the Sui Dynasty?

Did you know that at one point Koreans controlled most of Manchuria and parts of Siberia-- territory nearly the size of all of Western Europe?

Did you know that the Koreans provided the roots of Japanese civilization and that just last year the Emperor of Japan acknowledged Korean ancestry?

Did you know that the Koreans invented the world's first...
1. ironclad warship
2. printing press
3. meterological measuring device
among other things?

Did you know that during a time when nearly everyone in Europe and Asia relied on either the Greek (Phoenician) or Chinese (Han) writing systems, the Koreans invented a unique one that is now considered one of the world's most phonetically accurate?

The list goes on...

It is also interesting to note that Korea is one of the few civilizations to make a "comeback". While civilizations like Greece and Egypt have yet to emulate their former glory, it looks like Korea is well on its way.

Today, many of the advances in telecommunications, semiconductors, and biotechnology are emerging in Korea. It's society is making innovations in not only science, but the arts and culture. Korean pop culture (music, film, and TV) is sweeping Asia and Korean modern art and poetry is receiving wide recognition in Europe and the U.S.

But I still see Korea's most glorious period as primarily the 15th-16th Centuries and these most recent accomplishments during the late 1990's pale in comparison to anything acheived during this time.

So, please take everything into perspective before you judge an entire civilization.
Old June 26, 2002, 17:15   #88
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
That would also disqualify Persia, Babylon, Egypt, Rome, Greece, Zululand, Aztecs and Iroqouis at least.
I didn't say it was the only consideration just one of many. You would have to judge a civ's accomplishments against the accomplishment's of it's contemperary peers.

Thus countries like Persia & all would still make it, however, I still find it daft that the Iroqouis were included instead of the Inca or Maya.