Old June 7, 2002, 18:13   #1
drmotk
Settler

Local Time: 18:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Involuntary Change of Govt Dem-Comm
I am currently playing in a multiplayer CIV II Gold (hotseat) game. Whenever another player (with a Communist form of govt.) moves one of his units next to one of my units, my govt. is AUTOMATICALLY changed from Democracy to Communism. This has happened four (4) times. This is driving me NUTS! Is this a bug? Is there a patch that will prevent this from happenning?

I have built the UN, but do not have the Ststue of Liberty.

Old June 7, 2002, 18:15   #2
drmotk
Settler

I am so angry, I can't even spell Statue!
Old June 7, 2002, 19:04   #3
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 04:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Weird
Old June 7, 2002, 21:26   #4
Smash
Emperor

sorry that is one of the big drawbacks of hotseat.Government changes,treaties,war etc...when it is someone else's turn,your civ is fully controlled by the ai..it can't move units but it can do everything else
Old June 8, 2002, 03:19   #5
drmotk
Settler

That is ridiculous! Surely, there must be some way to prevent the A.S. (Artificial Stupidity) from changing your Govt.
Old June 10, 2002, 23:21   #6
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 04:09
Ha! Serve the kOllekTiV.

Old June 11, 2002, 10:51   #7
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 02:09
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
You should be lucky it doesn't change into despotism
Old June 11, 2002, 11:39   #8
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:09
Quote:
Originally posted by drmotk
That is ridiculous! Surely, there must be some way to prevent the A.S. (Artificial Stupidity) from changing your Govt.
Change the game to a scenario, then insert the following lines into the EVENTS.TXT file:

Code:
@IF
NEGOTIATION
talker=Anybody
talkertype=humanorcomputer
listener=Anybody
listenertype=humanorcomputer
@THEN

@ENDIF
This should prevent the AI from revolting during the other player's turn.
Old June 12, 2002, 20:39   #9
Hywel Dda
Warlord

Does that work, Dave V? I've tried using NEGOTIATION in the events file (with FW, I think it was) and the computer seemed to ignore it. I'm not a great expert so I might have slipped up on the coding - but the game didn't object to the code or throw an error - it just didn't do it (or not do it in this case ). And anyway, isn't the NEGOTIATION keyword to do with whether the AI holds diplomatic sessions with people rather than whether it changes government? Or have I misunderstood somehow?

Of course this is all part of the general bugginess of Civ II's multiplayer - drmotk should feel lucky if this is the only problem he's had. I've had the AI pull all sorts of weird stuff on me during hotseat sessions. I got so annoyed I stopped playing them.

Last edited by Hywel Dda; June 12, 2002 at 20:53.
Old June 13, 2002, 08:14   #10
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Hywel Dda
And anyway, isn't the NEGOTIATION keyword to do with whether the AI holds diplomatic sessions with people rather than whether it changes government?
In my experience, the problem occurs exactly then. Scenario: player B moves adjacent to player A's unit. The AI, sitting in for player A, opens up a negotiation window, but will revolt out of republic/democracy first (so it can declare war, or demand tribute? Who knows?). If you disable the negotiations, the AI won't jump in and change government.

I'm no scenario expert either, but I've had good results with this technique in a couple PBEM games.
Old June 13, 2002, 20:56   #11
Hywel Dda
Warlord

Wow that's really strange. I expect your suggestion does work then. And you say you've got it to work in practise, so I'll take your word for it. Nice work.

This presumably reveals an AI cheat of which I was previously unaware - an on-the-fly government change just to suit the latest negotiation! Bah!
Old June 13, 2002, 21:12   #12
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 21:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Hywel Dda
This presumably reveals an AI cheat of which I was previously unaware - an on-the-fly government change just to suit the latest negotiation! Bah!
Yeah, that one is a biggie... the number of times I have moved a unit next to an AI unit or city, and saw the window pop up 'The XXXXXX government has been overthrown'... too many to count.

And isn't it funny, how the AI knows to switch to demo if I'm trying to bribe them, or into fundy if they're planning on breaking the treaty we signed last turn cheating s**********

And they do it on MY turn. Wish I could do that

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 14, 2002, 17:36   #13
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Don't know if it makes a difference but i have the 1.3 patch and i never have these problems. I do have a problem where another civ will be building a wonder and it pops up "(civ name) have allmost finished building (wonder name)" and when i rush it the civ still builds it before me AND all my shields I used for that wonder are lost without me being able to change what i'm building. It's ba enough to lose the wonder but to lose several turns of production really gets me