Old June 8, 2002, 07:49   #1
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 11:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What kind of unit will Medieval Infantry be?
It has been announced that PTW will include a unit tenatively called "Medieval Infantry". What kind of unit do you think this will be?

I would think it would be 5/3/1, upgrade from Swordmen, requiring Iron, cost 60-70 shields, and be available with Chivalry.
Old June 8, 2002, 08:17   #2
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 12:11
I hope it is an upgrade for the swordsman. I'm certain the Persians and Romans won't be so screwed once knights enter the battlefield if it is.

As for when it is available, I definitely agree with Chivalry. I heard that it was meant to be a knight on foot, so it would be appropriate to be available with knights.
Old June 8, 2002, 09:41   #3
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 06:11
Medieval Infantry are militia of free citizens and peasantry, later merceneraries. They weapon was pices. They was in later Knights. With musketeers withdrawn knights in XVI. Redudant with Picemen in the Game. May be need Pesantry Forces - medieval analog of Guerillia
Old June 8, 2002, 10:04   #4
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't expect you will be able to build either of the new units, I think they will just pop up like partisians from Civ2.
Old June 8, 2002, 11:30   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

you have to remember, they're re-doing ALL the unit ADMs... so your thoughts are probably off by a few #s
Old June 8, 2002, 15:10   #6
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
I don't expect you will be able to build either of the new units, I think they will just pop up like partisians from Civ2.
Agree.
Old June 8, 2002, 15:32   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:11
All I know is that it's going to look really cool!
(At least, that's all Jeff would tell me about it )
Old June 8, 2002, 15:44   #8
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

I dont know if its the best idea for a unit thats needed. I think 'longbowman' fill in the halfway decent unit that doesnt require resources block, and then there's pikeman, both of which satisfy 'meideval infantry' IMO. Maybe there could be 'longswordsman' or something but I think that time could be spent elsewhere in the game improving areas that need improvement rather than here. Maybe swordsman should upgrade to pikeman or something.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 8, 2002, 16:23   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:11
I suppose will all find out soon; I bet Firaxis will spill the beans with in a month or so.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 9, 2002, 07:50   #10
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
I dont know if its the best idea for a unit thats needed. I think 'longbowman' fill in the halfway decent unit that doesnt require resources block, and then there's pikeman, both of which satisfy 'meideval infantry' IMO. Maybe there could be 'longswordsman' or something but I think that time could be spent elsewhere in the game improving areas that need improvement rather than here. Maybe swordsman should upgrade to pikeman or something.
My vote for 'Crossbowman' for 'medieval infantry'.
Pikeman with m. infantry are too redudant and unrealistic.
Old June 9, 2002, 10:00   #11
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:11
In my mod, I made Man-O-War into the Ship of the Line, and gave it to all civs, made the Longbowman the English UU, and made a Crossbowman unit to replace them. During the medieval times, Pikemen were used for defense (as they are in the game), but there were also offensive units. The ancient 2,000 year old Swordsman is a good canidate for being updgraded. Going from 1000 BC Swordsmen to 1500 AD Musketmen is quite a leap, even for Civ, wouldn't you say?