Old June 8, 2002, 09:21   #1
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Most Great Leaders in a Turn
What's the most great leaders anyone's gotten in a single turn? I just got four; the first three rushed SETI, an Iron Works (I just recently captured a city that can build it), and Battlefield Medicine, and by then I was down to one elite panzer unit (or thought I was; I just found four more) and one enemy city within striking range so I decided to save the fourth leader for the U.N.

The way it happened is that I had numerous elite panzers left over from a major war I'd just fought. England had quite a few cavalry and riflemen stomping through my territory on the way to Russia (without permission, I might add), so depending on how the battles went, some of my elite panzers could attack two or even three times the same turn. Better, England didn't have any infantry, so even attacking cities, all I had to fight were riflemen - and the second defender was often a spearman. (Earlier warfare apparently had left England spread very thin.) That gave some additional opportunities for two attacks in a turn, and I had almost no losses (or even retreats). And the way things laid out, there were eleven English cities within striking range (althugh I almost missed the fact that there was a way to get to the last two of those the same turn), so I had plenty of targets to use my elite forces on.

All in all, it was a VERY GOOD turn, even if most of my veterans did just get stuck twiddling their thumbs for lack of anything to do.

Nathan
Old June 8, 2002, 09:40   #2
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 11:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I do not believe that there is a limit to how many Great Leaders you may get in a single turn, beyond the limits of only being able to have one at any given instant, and that each Elite unit may not generate more than one Great Leader during its lifetime.
Old June 8, 2002, 10:00   #3
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:11
I never got more than one per turn in my short Civ3 playing life, congrats on the four. It must have been quite a rush doing that.
Old June 8, 2002, 12:54   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!

Same kind of thing, massive numbers of enemy troops in my territory. Arty to take them down to 1 hp, and let the carnage commence.

Gotta be careful to move the elite+leader units away (I store them in my capitol).

You were lucky that you had good Wonders to use them on.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 8, 2002, 15:13   #5
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
4 as well. I just kept making them into armies because there was nothing left to build with them.
Old June 8, 2002, 22:02   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
In the Egyptian Mess (new name), I hit the limit on Armies. made Factories.

"Massive Combat" was evidently not considered or playtested.

Actually, on certain turns, I'm surprised I haven;t gotten more GLs... although that may have been prior to understanding the elite+leader condition.

I expect, in future games, that I will be able to generate 6-8 in a turn (200 engagements, half vet and half elite, win 75%).

It has definitely changed my style: I only build GWS if I KNOW my productivity will win out, otherwise I depend on GLs.

If I miss a couple GWs... well, I, uh, that is, hmmm, incorporate said data into the overall geopolitical plan.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 8, 2002, 22:57   #7
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:11
Only 2, one went to a wonder the other became an army. My record in a short period of time was 8 GLs before the AD years on a tiny small land pangea map with Japan. At one point it seemed one out of two combats were generating GLs, never managed to repeat that success rate again.
Old June 9, 2002, 08:14   #8
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 02:11
i got 2 in one turn once! I never really get early great leaders, my 'combat phase' begins once combat ships become available, and my big offensives come around just before tanks are available!
Old June 9, 2002, 15:33   #9
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 02:11
Jimmytrick, you made it sound like you quit playing Civ 3. You don't like game? *sniff*
Old June 10, 2002, 08:19   #10
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
Jimmytrick, you made it sound like you quit playing Civ 3. You don't like game? *sniff*
That's an understatement. jt is a very vocal critic of the game.

As for Great Leaders, the most I've had in one turn was two, and that was on the defensive! It was my first game of Civ3 last November. I waited all game to see this cool new feature, and finally generated a GL from an elite rifleman. Then the rifleman was killed and the GL went with him. Same thing happened with another rifleman on the same turn. Two GLs, both dead.

I didn't actually get one I could use until my third or fourth game.
Old June 10, 2002, 08:23   #11
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:11
I've gotten 7 once.... although it was on a huge map late in the game when I had about 100 units attacking the AI.