Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 8, 2002, 15:19   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Difficulty Setting
first democratic potion of the game,

it's pretty self explanitory, btu if you feel the need to "campaign" for your choice, do it here
Old June 8, 2002, 17:34   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Difficulty Setting
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
first democratic potion of the game,

it's pretty self explanitory, btu if you feel the need to "campaign" for your choice, do it here
I think we should do a lower difficulty, because some of us are new to Civilization and still haven't quite mastered it yet.
Old June 8, 2002, 17:54   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

oh, and incase you're wondering, i voted Monarch (its where i play for fun )
Old June 8, 2002, 21:53   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:12
I say Emperor. With the combined forces of all our citizens, we should be able to do ok on it.
Old June 9, 2002, 03:39   #5
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:12
I say Diety, hey if we get killed the first time we can always go back and try again!
Old June 9, 2002, 05:11   #6
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 04:12
I purpose the following calculation to evaluate this poll:

1. Give each option points:
Chieftan = 1
Warlord = 2
Regent = 3
Monarch = 4
Emperor = 5
Deity =6

2. Multiply the points for each option with the number of votes for that option, and sum the points in total.

3. Divide the points with the number of voters, and we get a men point.

4. This point is rounded and the difficultylevel will be the value that results in.

What do you think?

Will it work?
I think this way we'll get the opinion on how hard we want the game.
Old June 9, 2002, 05:17   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

And an example from the postioin after 13 voters.

(1 * 0 + 2 * 1 + 3 * 2 + 4 * 4 + 5 * 3 + 6 * 3)/13 = 57/13

57/13 = 4.38 Rounded to 4 => Monarch.
Old June 9, 2002, 06:56   #8
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 03:12
I agree with you Gramphos, that is a good way to determine difficulty level IMHO.
Old June 9, 2002, 07:18   #9
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:12
Definetely Deity.
With so many people thinking about the game, we should make it as hard as possible.

Also, the Democracy game will be much more realistic if we face real crises that can seriously affect our empire and even destroy it.

I mean, do you want to play a game where everything goes smoothly and the most important decisions we make are whether to invade the neighboring civ with 20 Knights or 30?
Old June 9, 2002, 11:17   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:12
Deity. What Eli said.

I want to feel unhappy and start some revolutions.
Old June 9, 2002, 11:21   #11
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 22:12
I agree with Eli too. Also, although some people are new, I think we'll likely do as well as our best players, if not better, assuming the 'good' players explain their opinions and the new players can follow the arguments. Also, we'll have tons of time for extra analysis and micromanagement.
Old June 9, 2002, 11:59   #12
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I voted Monarch, and that's what I was going with, but after reading Eli's post, I would have to agree with him (oops ). Let's go for Diety, it won't really be fun unless it's a real challenge.
Old June 9, 2002, 13:20   #13
Purple
Prince

Diety, without a doubt!

I usually play on Monarch, but I think the wealth of knowledge and skill represented by our population make it possible to face the challenge of diety.

Besides, it will help lower-level players improve.
Old June 9, 2002, 13:24   #14
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

you people are over optimistic. diety is a world where the AI starts with 2 settlers 4 workers and several warriors. and it grows AT LEAST 10x as fast as you. ::sigh::
Old June 9, 2002, 13:31   #15
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:12
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
you people are over optimistic. diety is a world where the AI starts with 2 settlers 4 workers and several warriors. and it grows AT LEAST 10x as fast as you. ::sigh::
Do you prefer a world where we grow 2x as fast as the AI and achieve dominance by the industrial era? Because this is what will happen if we choose Monarch or other "low" difficulty levels?

Though I must admit now that Deity might be really too much. At CFC they play on Monarch level and they are a very powerful civ, but not more than that.

Maybe Emperor?
Old June 9, 2002, 13:34   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i dont want a game where the AI cheats its way to utter victory.

ever start near the germans on deity? ::shudder::
Old June 9, 2002, 15:05   #17
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:12
My vote was influenced a little bit by the way Gramphos suggested to calculate the difficulty level from the votes. IMO anything below Emperor is no challenge for more than 30 humans!!. So I voted Deity. But perhaps it is a bit too much for the first Democracy game? Emperor is ok with me. Depends a bit on the CIV we play of course. If we also choose a "bad" CIV, I will even be satisfied with Monarch.
Old June 9, 2002, 15:17   #18
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Emperor, without a doubt...
Your method equals wipe out
Old June 9, 2002, 15:23   #19
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I would like the regent level, but I'm open for higher if people think that is best. I only think we should start low and then try the higher levels when we know we can do it!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 9, 2002, 16:01   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

A lot of people don't have experience with the higher levels. Let's play at either Regent or Monarch, so that everyone knows what's going on.
Old June 9, 2002, 16:03   #21
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:12
Hmm... Thinking about the other arguments here, I think that Deity might really be too much... Emperor or even Monarch sounds good.
Old June 9, 2002, 16:52   #22
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I'm good with Emperor.

If people don't really know how to play... then don't be president or a minister. Games like this take... a... very... long... time... to... play, so chances are we may not even have another game like this.
Old June 9, 2002, 17:04   #23
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

Do you prefer a world where we grow 2x as fast as the AI and achieve dominance by the industrial era? Because this is what will happen if we choose Monarch or other "low" difficulty levels?

Though I must admit now that Deity might be really too much. At CFC they play on Monarch level and they are a very powerful civ, but not more than that.

Maybe Emperor?
Please, that game really was over by the beginning of the middle ages. We're twice the size of anypne else. We need Emperor, minimum, or we will reach certain victory before the game is half over.
Old June 9, 2002, 23:11   #24
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:12
I'm personally all for Monarch. Nice and... not-too-hard. I think Diety is pure madness, but, luckily, using our vote counting system, it has just about no chance of happening! Yay!
Old June 10, 2002, 00:04   #25
Jon Shafer

The problem with this system is that things like Diety or Chieftan can never win. It will either be Regent or Monarch (most likely Monarch), without a doubt, due to the natural distribution of votes.
Old June 10, 2002, 00:08   #26
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

well, i think it's more fair...

It's like how the Electoral College system in the US would be if reformed. In most states, even if a party gets 49.999% of the votes, the otehr party still wins every single one of the electoral votes...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 10, 2002, 00:09   #27
Jon Shafer

And that's fair?
Old June 10, 2002, 00:14   #28
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

No, I guess I was a bit unclear. NOT averaging it would be like the electoral college. how we're doing it is:
Quote:
like how the Electoral College system in the US would be if reformed

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 10, 2002, 00:18   #29
Jon Shafer

Actually, this proposition would be more like having 5 different canidates, 1 on the far left, 1 somewhat left, 1 in the middle, 1 somewhat right, and 1 far right. You average up the votes for all of them, and whereever the most lies (nearly always the middle) wins. That's not the best way to do things, IMO.
Old June 10, 2002, 08:34   #30
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 12:12
My vote is for Emperor. Anything less would be too easy for us to face collectively.