View Poll Results: Should we have political parties?
Yes 23 53.49%
No 16 37.21%
Bannana 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 9, 2002, 03:49   #1
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Political Parties
Should we have political parties in the Civ3 demo game?
Old June 9, 2002, 07:31   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:13
Great idea. But I think we should see how the game works out and how good the cooperation between the players is before introducing more "dividing elements".
Old June 9, 2002, 08:08   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 04:13
Well, nothing stops it from being people with differnet oppinions.

That's why a PW minister is needed. The party who gets this posts get a hook on the other ministers needing improvements.
Old June 9, 2002, 11:06   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No. If we follow the greek democracy model, then one man = one vote. That means: one opinion = one vote. Of course, we can have 5 men = one opinion, but it would not change the fact that those 5 men would represent 5 votes, so...

Okay, just no.
Old June 9, 2002, 12:56   #5
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Well, nothing stops people from grouping together to get their ideas through. All that is needed is to get to the controlling positions (i.e. Financial and PW)
Old June 9, 2002, 13:09   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:13
yes. political parties WILL form no matter what you say.

don't start any until the game starts to unfold though, as it is stupid to bring your real-life views into a game that could be a completely different scenario.
Old June 9, 2002, 13:39   #7
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

i think the political parties would work well tho..

cuz not everyone will be having strictly political positions, correct?

So those not having anything to do related directly to what a government directly does would be the voting people... and (IF we have enough politically orientated folk) we could have various groups who form parties who go up for election every so many turns.
i dunno, just the prospect of elections sounds fun, and elections without parties seem odd.
Old June 9, 2002, 13:49   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i can see it now. the "Warmonger Party"
Old June 9, 2002, 14:46   #9
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

And then we could have the Rant Party, the Positivist Party etc.

Actually, I think this can become something very fun!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 9, 2002, 16:11   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:13
There's no reason to ban them. They're, fun, and they never really had any affect on the Game - except the Sodaquistas, of course!
Old June 9, 2002, 16:17   #11
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:13
Bah! Then I am an anarchist.
Old June 9, 2002, 16:45   #12
Space05us
King

about political parties bringing real world views into the game; that won't happen go look at the Civ2 Demo-Game
Old June 9, 2002, 18:08   #13
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 02:13
no, i like the idea of everybody getting a vote on issues, but also having a party they belong too. The leading party would be able to run the country and press their veiws, while people in the other partys can vote for whatever they want belonging to a party means should we vote that party into power, the people belonging to that party are going to have a better place. and the prime minister, or president, will be the person who sits around and actualy plays the game, forfilling out set objectives, goals and tasks, while also handling small tasks. Should these small tasks create a war or something bad, the prime minister, and their party is heald responsible!

I would however like a simple starwars republic style government (minus the hovering platforms and jedi Knights), with a leading senitor.
Old June 9, 2002, 22:18   #14
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:13
Why not? They don't have to be official but not allowing them denies free speech (or at least free association)!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 9, 2002, 22:50   #15
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

You should neither officially condone or outlaw political factioning. I am going to have to support the 'american' system of political parties. They are not officially a part of the constitution but they just seem to happen.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 9, 2002, 23:00   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
You should neither officially condone or outlaw political factioning. I am going to have to support the 'american' system of political parties. They are not officially a part of the constitution but they just seem to happen.
exactly.

eventully there will be a bunch of people who belive in "Manifest Destiny" of our home continent, and are all for the eradication of any civ in our way, and then again there will be those who oppose it, citing friendship and good trades.

it's going to be a hell of a time isn't it
Old June 9, 2002, 23:48   #17
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Hmmmmm. Fun.
I think I may start something like the 'Imperialist Party' or something to that extent. Muahahaha, Manifest Destiny, here I come.
Old June 9, 2002, 23:55   #18
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

AAACC3 has been founded (if parites lose in this poll it will just be an 'association', after all it just stands for Association of Apolytonians Against a Constitution of Civ 3 (as opposed to the AAAC of the civ2 game)).

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 9, 2002, 23:58   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

And the AAACC3 has its second member too.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 9, 2002, 23:59   #20
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

You could join the Imperialist Party, since I'll absorb that cause.
Old June 10, 2002, 00:02   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Au contraire, Trip. Our party has a pedigree and a list of members already.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 10, 2002, 00:02   #22
Jon Shafer

LoL, oh geeze.

*Fears what may be coming. *
Old June 10, 2002, 00:18   #23
civman2000
Emperor

AAACC3 members: how about making our name cooler:
3A2C3

Old June 10, 2002, 00:40   #24
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Political alliances will form regardless (i.e., that show... er... oh yah, "survivor"), so i'd say go for it. Also, how about Expansionist Party instead of Imperialist, since expansionist is a civ trait, and this is a democratic game?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 10, 2002, 00:43   #25
Jon Shafer

I suppose we can work with things, but I just think 'Imperialist' sounds really nifty!
Old June 10, 2002, 00:47   #26
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I suppose we can work with things, but I just think 'Imperialist' sounds really nifty!
That it does, that it does.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 10, 2002, 01:04   #27
Space05us
King

so make the party instead of talking about it, of course you'll need to state your political agenda as well.
Old June 10, 2002, 01:07   #28
Jon Shafer

Who me? I think I already have. Check out my Presidential Canidacy thread. I also think that AAACC3 and the Imperialist Party may be working out some kind of merger, but we'll have to see tomorrow.
Old June 10, 2002, 01:18   #29
Space05us
King

sweet...more members