Old June 10, 2002, 05:30   #1
Apolex
Warlord

Local Time: 21:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Played my last game
Well I just finished what I think will be my last game of Civ III. I achieved my goal of scoring 5000 on Emp and it just takes too much time away while I'm trying to finish a Ph.D.

I gotta say that it was pretty fun and well worth it for the most part with the exception of a few annoyances. Even with this latest 1.21 version I still have mech inf killing my workers walking through my cities. The occasional crash when going to the advisors pissed me off a few times. And the AIs inability to even remotely stage a strategic attack or challenge left me wishing for human competition.

Thanks for the fun Firaxis. Looking forward to a future Civ in a few years with an advanced AI and a full range of MP ability.

Over and Out,
-Apolex
Old June 10, 2002, 06:59   #2
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 04:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
But you won´t stop visiting Poly, will you?
Old June 10, 2002, 07:55   #3
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:16
Come on, PTW is almost here...
Old June 10, 2002, 08:09   #4
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 12:16
Good luck with your Ph.D, and keep on civving afterwards, even if you do have to dig very deep into the bargain bins to find PTW.
Old June 10, 2002, 08:25   #5
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Good luck bro... don't let that terrible AI drive you away
Old June 10, 2002, 09:32   #6
Apolex
Warlord

Thanks! Yeah I'm going to keep visiting here. This is one of the best gaming and forum sites I've seen anywhere and it's fun. I'm following the MOO3 development closely, and there's a good forum for that here too. Take care everyone and do me a favor: if you happen to have the Russians in your next game....TAKE THEM OUT FIRST! Catherine has been a royal PITA in every civIII encounter, and she deserves a beat-down!

...a little bit of last revenge for all my troubles with her

happy civving
-Apolex
Old June 10, 2002, 10:43   #7
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Re: Played my last game
Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex
I still have mech inf killing my workers walking through my cities.
ok, I give up. No one at Firaxis has been able to reproduce this bug, and I cannot seem to find anywhere in the code where you would attack your own units, but I have just seen this comment too many times to believe that it wasn't true. So... does anyone have a saved game (with instructions) to replicate this bug? I would greatly appreciate it...
Old June 10, 2002, 10:54   #8
Stuie
King

Local Time: 22:16
Re: Re: Played my last game
Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
ok, I give up. No one at Firaxis has been able to reproduce this bug, and I cannot seem to find anywhere in the code where you would attack your own units, but I have just seen this comment too many times to believe that it wasn't true. So... does anyone have a saved game (with instructions) to replicate this bug? I would greatly appreciate it...
I don't have a save in which it's occurring, but if no one else provides one I think I can recreate it from an early save of a game in which it eventually happened in several of my cities. The automated workers started acting weird in that game as well. A bunch of them gathered in a desert and just stood there. I figured it was Area 57 or something.
Old June 10, 2002, 11:16   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:16
(That's Area "51" not Area 57)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old June 10, 2002, 11:20   #10
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:16
Maybe Area 57 is even more secret and until now not known to anybody!
Old June 10, 2002, 12:01   #11
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
(That's Area "51" not Area 57)
I thought that looked wrong, but instead of an edit I'll go with Dr. Stiby's theory.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:05   #12
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Car 57! Where are you?

"We are out in the desert. There are some idiotic workers just standing around out here."

Well, bring them in.

"They don't want to come in. They say that they are just following their programming."

Well, get rough with them.

"Okay, we will attack!"

For those not old as the hills, Car 57 was a tv show about some idiotic cops.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:08   #13
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:16
Soren, it probably only happens for people who've messed up their game by installing a mod. Your code is probably fine. It's just that it's not robust (i.e. has bugs) when parameters are changed in the editor.

(Just a guess).
Old June 10, 2002, 12:13   #14
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Sorry GP, I have had my workers attacked by my own defenders before I installed any mod or changed it in any way. If I come across it again, I'll post a save.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:21   #15
Apolex
Warlord

Soren,

This "friendly fire" bug happened to me again in this last game I just finished. It always seems to start once I have upgraded to Mech Inf. It begins by me noticing that one of my cities doesn't show a unit protecting it even though there is a Mech Inf in there. If one of my workers or any of my units try to move through that city it is killed. In fact one of my workers moving through such a city produced a great leader after my Elite mech inf killed it!

After reloading from the autosave after this starts, the problem disappears. But it seems to reappear later and in different cities. I have not yet found the common denominator for these cities going screwy, except that they all have a mech inf in them.

I am absolutely certain that I have v1.21 installed and started all my new games with it. Wish I could give you a save game, but this ghost bug disappears upon reload. Someone could take a screen shot while it's happening if you need further proof. I'm personally retired for now.

Thanks
-Apolex
Old June 10, 2002, 12:29   #16
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex
In fact one of my workers moving through such a city produced a great leader after my Elite mech inf killed it!
I produced two great leaders in one game this way. Glad to see it happened to someone else; I was met with disbelief and "hoax" accusations (in another thread) when I reported it before.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:32   #17
Apolex
Warlord

Lol @ Jimmytrick! Yeah I had the same thing happen with my workers in the same game (about the same time the ghost bug started happening). Even though there was pollution and stuff to do everywhere, I had a bunch of Shift-A'd workers just standing around in a desert square waiting for the aliens to beam them up or something. I wonder if the bugs are connected?

Stuie it's funny you should joke about Area 51 b/c I renamed the city next to that desert square "Roswell" after these workers just kept standing around there staring at the sky.

-Apolex
Old June 10, 2002, 12:55   #18
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

"And the AIs inability to even remotely stage a strategic attack or challenge left me wishing for human competition."

Yup, that's the quote of the month and it will eventually apply to all of us. The game is a very good one that can hold for a long time the attention even of very old fogies who remember car 54 fondly. (Wait until your own grandchildren tell you what they think of Friends.)

I have plenty of time to play despite the fact that I can't even remember the title of my PhD thesis anymore. Eventually, however, you begin to win every time you don't get a bad start, even on high difficulty levels. On Saturday, friend Lincoln blew a tech lead by researching recycling. Then he got pissed and demanded nuclear power. Not getting it, he attacked with a huge stack of mech infantry and some modern armor-- but too late. What was he thinking? AI end game strategy needs work to make it worthwhile to spend the time to play the game to the end.
Old June 10, 2002, 14:18   #19
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

It was Car 54? LMAO!

Old June 10, 2002, 15:52   #20
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:16
They have Ph.D.'s at Rocky Top? What are you studying? Advanced steroids?
Old June 10, 2002, 16:51   #21
eewolf
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:16
Quote:

i may have a little more info. i had this happen with a city but the city was created in an odd way. it was created from a goody hut. the hut was popped when my cultural borders expanded (not hit by a unit) and the city just popped into existence. the city screen didn't even pop up. and the city had a defender, too. i didn't think much of it at first. but i brought some workers over to the new city (it was alone on a small island) and started to work. when they finished i moved them in a stack to the city where a transport was waiting and boom... they were all knocked dead by the defender. i looked inside the city and i think the defender was labeled barbarian. but i was able to sell it off and build a new one and continue.

sorry i have no save game for this. but as a developer myself, i know the more info you have, the easier to locate them nasty critters hiding in the tall grass code. love the game (my daughter misses the spanish!) and thanks for paying attention to the players.

eewolf

"craven a go choke puppy"
Old June 10, 2002, 17:23   #22
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Re: Re: Re: Played my last game
Quote:
Originally posted by eewolf

i may have a little more info. i had this happen with a city but the city was created in an odd way. it was created from a goody hut. the hut was popped when my cultural borders expanded (not hit by a unit) and the city just popped into existence. the city screen didn't even pop up. and the city had a defender, too. i didn't think much of it at first. but i brought some workers over to the new city (it was alone on a small island) and started to work. when they finished i moved them in a stack to the city where a transport was waiting and boom... they were all knocked dead by the defender. i looked inside the city and i think the defender was labeled barbarian. but i was able to sell it off and build a new one and continue.

sorry i have no save game for this. but as a developer myself, i know the more info you have, the easier to locate them nasty critters hiding in the tall grass code. love the game (my daughter misses the spanish!) and thanks for paying attention to the players.

eewolf
thank you!
Old June 10, 2002, 18:31   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:

hi ,

Soren , there where a couple mailed to infogrames , however , this is like talking to a stone wall , ....

there are several people who have problems with this or that , and they could be intresting , maybe , like you show here you want to see all these SAV(e's) , but then again , if people started to do so , in large numbers , would this not be a problem for you , and / or firaxis , ...

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2002, 11:05   #24
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 18:16
I've played my last game more times than I can remember. But I'm just so addicted I even gave up my daily heroin habit so I could free up more time.
Old June 11, 2002, 13:42   #25
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I definately have to start playing more Civ. I have seen none of these bugs, crashes, whatever.

But then again...I only play about 3 hours per day. so maybe I'm not hardcore enough

Asmodean