Old June 10, 2002, 18:24   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 21:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Playing as the Barbarians
I have not seen anyone post anything about this idea, so forgive me if someone has. (After all, I certainly have not read all of the posts here.)

Anyway, what about having the option to play as a barbarian tribe. Or, perhaps, as a sort of overseer of all the barbarian tribes?

I realize this would probably be difficult to do since playing the barbarians would be much different. (You wouldn't have cities to manage (just camps) and no research and such...Just a bloodthirsty horde of
warmongers.

The game would play much different if you chose to play as the barbarians, and many things would have to be worked out such as how do they advance at all and so forth...but it could be an interesting change of pace.

And of course I guess the only victory allowed would be to destroy as many civs as possible. Perhaps a ranking as to how many cities your barbarians were able to detroy before you got wiped out...

Old June 10, 2002, 19:00   #2
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 12:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Don't really like the idea. Currently, the system only allows for there to be two units at the barbarian's disposal. By default those are warriors and horsemen.

If however, in the XP, Firaxis decided to make barbarian-specific units (eg. Huskarls to replace warriors or something), it might be marginally better. But it still wouldn't be too fun.

I'd rather be a civilization and be able to hire barbarian units as mercenaries, especially if there are barbarian-specific units, that would naturally have higher attack/speed than normal.
Old June 10, 2002, 19:14   #3
vee4473
King

That's interesting...I hadn't thought of that. Hiring them as mercenaries is indeed an interesting twist.

I guess playing as barbarians would not be a long game, but more of a quick little game of action.

Like, when you say that there are only 2 units per tribe, well if you controlled all barbarian tribes then you would have a decent force to mass and rampage with.

Like I said, it's just a thought for a twist on the typical civ game for a quickie diversion in the civ universe. "You control the babrbarian tribes, you have nothing, you know nothing, here are some units to try to wipe out as many cities as possible."

And, perhaps after you ransacked cities and reached a certain amount of stolen gold, you can bribe some more advanced units from other civs to join you.

i dont know.
Old June 10, 2002, 19:15   #4
vee4473
King

oh sorry, you meant 2 units at their disposal, not per tribe... sorry
Old June 10, 2002, 20:00   #5
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

You can just rename a Civ to be the Barbarians.
Old June 11, 2002, 05:27   #6
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 03:18
Re: Playing as the Barbarians
Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
I have not seen anyone post anything about this idea, so forgive me if someone has. (After all, I certainly have not read all of the posts here.)

Anyway, what about having the option to play as a barbarian tribe. Or, perhaps, as a sort of overseer of all the barbarian tribes?
Yes, it's an old suggestion.

For example, I did it myself a year ago: please feel free to check it on the archived thread Let me play the dark civ:barbarians.

The debate was a bit diverted to a different area, but it was interesting.

BTW I feel the current "encampment" concept better than old Civ II "barbarians from nowhere", still I think that Firaxis didn't use the concept to its full potential.
Old June 11, 2002, 06:50   #7
mwaf
Warlord

Local Time: 04:18
drifting a bit to Play the World, but anyway...
I think it would be nice if one could in mulitplyaer (PtW that is) join in for a quick game as a barbarian tribe or two. That would allow short games for busy people.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:59   #8
Paalikles
Settler

Local Time: 03:18
Any civ not as civilized as yours is a barbarian civ...
thus other civs allready think of you as a barbarian
Old June 11, 2002, 15:38   #9
Purple
Prince

I liked the way barbarians used to be able to capture a city and function rather like another AI player. Was this in Civ 2?

In Civ 3 barbarians seem to be much more of a random event, like disease.
Old June 11, 2002, 20:19   #10
vee4473
King

Yes,

I was remembering recently how barbarians in civ2 could actually capture a city.

This is not the case in civ3,(at least I have never seen it happen).

Barbarians now are much more of a way to just lose gold. You don't have to worry about losing a city to them, just gold.

as far as i have seen
Old June 12, 2002, 04:33   #11
mwaf
Warlord

ah, memories...
I remember playing Civ I on earth and discovering that half of the French cities (which controlled South America) were captured by Barbarians.

And no, Barbarians can't capture cities in Civ III (I believe I read in the manual or in the civiliopedia).
Old June 12, 2002, 08:45   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I consider myself a Barbarian...

Seriously though, by definition, Barbarians can not control cities. They are barbaric. In essences, they are nomadic. Any type of social control would be civilized and hence, not barbaric.
Old June 12, 2002, 10:02   #13
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

For this to be funny, I think more units should be available to the barbarians. What if, after winning a battle against a certain unit, barbarian camps could then produce that particular kind of unit for a limited period of time (the captured weapons eventually run out - the barbarians can only produce the most crude, primitive weapons themselves).

Asmodean
Old June 12, 2002, 10:34   #14
Farmer Jimbo
Settler

This might be fun idea for multiplayer. One of the players acts as the barbarian overlord and constantly harrasses the rest of the players. Punishes them for leaving cities poorly defended or lone settlers, etc...
Old June 12, 2002, 16:34   #15
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

default level for tha AI ; deity , basic barb unit ; rifleman , advanced ; infantry , sea unit ; destroyer , ......

have a nice day
Old June 12, 2002, 19:44   #16
vee4473
King

what?