Old December 9, 2002, 18:28   #301
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 21:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes, Kobra, now you feel my pain
Old December 10, 2002, 04:17   #302
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 03:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Again thanx for your advice...too bad I didn't have time for that yesterday...

Cincinnati Daily Rant - Special Edition

Pres. "Joe" Ceteram chose new tapestry for his office!
"I believe in cleanliness and my artistic flair", the President said during the press conference. Not all too many questions were answered by our revered head of state as he still had to unpack his horsecart.

Senate voted against the proposition to send all US military branches to holidays on Cuba. Instead only a few Rough Riders were sent, along with their outdated 12 pounders. Gary Leblanc, private 2nd class, was heard shouting:"Where would you find a clean brothel on that island anyway?"

Rough Riders having breakfast in front of a cuban brothel.

Last edited by Ceteram; December 10, 2002 at 07:32.
Old December 10, 2002, 04:49   #303
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 18:20
Izvestia, Sept 1870
Urga Added to Empire

Following intense and surprisingly costly artillery bombardments of the Mongol city of Urga, Russian troops entered the city, securing it for the Russian Empire. Urga is expected to be an integral station in what is promised to be an unconventional Trans-Siberian Railway.

Anarchy Brings Starvation, Citizens Hope New Government Forms Soon

New Banks and Schools Built Across Russia, Kurkov Calls them "Investment in Russia's Future

OOC: Nice flavor, Ceteram
Attached Files:
File Type: zip rus1870sept.zip (63.4 KB, 4 views)
Old December 10, 2002, 06:02   #304
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

JamesJKirk:
I send you a PM some days ago.

Matter of utmost urgency:

Mister Kurkov,
please acknowledge my most skilled and thoroughly reeducated ambassador Jack Potatopot.

J. Potatopot, US Ambassador to Russia, in his new official foreign affairs suit.

Last edited by Ceteram; December 10, 2002 at 06:19.
Old December 10, 2002, 06:14   #305
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

That's more like it Ceteram.

-Homer Simpson
Old December 10, 2002, 07:28   #306
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

By the way:

Courrier du Soir de la Nouvelle Orléans

US merchantile ships were unable to access the Mediterranean in August. Rumors are that President Joe Ceteram, upon hearing the disastrous news, started packing his horsecart again and was heard mumbling:
"If they are going to be like that, I better return to El Paso and start a monastic life..."
Old December 10, 2002, 15:19   #307
Eivind IV
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 04:20
I am going away from Wednesday-Sunday, for a trip to Copenhagen. I will not be able to play my turn in any of my games until then. Hope that this will be no problem...Just keep it "on hold"

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!
Old December 10, 2002, 15:24   #308
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 23:20
Trade goods flooding the Mediterranean.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip meiji1870sept.zip (57.6 KB, 5 views)
Old December 10, 2002, 17:48   #309
0hwell
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:20
French sugar from Hanoi is delivered to Sydney.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip france_sep1870.zip (63.5 KB, 4 views)
Old December 10, 2002, 23:45   #310
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

- A Dutch expeditionary force has captured the Philippines from the hated Spanish.

- Machinery from Frankfurt comes online in Toronto.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip germany_sept_1870.zip (64.7 KB, 3 views)
Old December 11, 2002, 03:27   #311
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

The Utah Word of Truth, Sept. 1870

Dutch ironclad caught in the open, artist unknown.
This ship was apparently active in Manila Bay during the blockade and shore bombardments.

White House Dispatch to German War Ministry:
The US government congratulates the Germano-Dutch War Ministry for its successfull acquisition in the Far East.

Last edited by Ceteram; December 11, 2002 at 04:06.
Old December 11, 2002, 06:10   #312
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Washington Coast, Sept 31st 1870

International Headlines:

The R&R in Cuba has devolved into a humanitarian mission: The urban areas seem to levy huge amounts of taxes, goods and food from the rural areas.
The President announced last friday:"This slavery will not be tolerated any longer by my government. Right now the Rough Riders have established checkpoints to hinder Independent officials in collecting. And if this degenerates into open hostilities, so be it!"
Apparently diplomates have been sent to request alliance against the Independent Nations and many favorable offers are expected.

US Chamber of Commerce publishes 2 quartal results in International Trade. Benjamin Levy-Rosenthal, diamond cutter in New York said:"I do overtime like crazy! ".
US goods are sold all over the globe and our economy is booming.

Japanese Sailors are supposedly striking for more human rights at home. They seem to be blocking the entrance to the Suez Canal.

National Headlines:

The next State of the Union will more than likely provoke Jubilees countrywide to the glory of our President Supreme, Joe Ceteram, who got out of bed to receive reporters late afternoon yesterday: "Boys and Girls, we are doing jus' fine. Our nation is an example of modernization and free enterprise, and I've received letters from several countries where they teach kids the letters U, S and A first.".

This picture perfectly underlines the words of the President: it shows Washington, the jewel of our advanced nation.

Philipine refugees arrived in droves on the West Coast, fleeing the Germans. Some of the junior occupiers are known to have force-fed large parts of the philipine population with Sauerkraut and the infamous Sachertorte.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip us_sep_1870.zip (63.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Ceteram; December 11, 2002 at 06:43.
Old December 12, 2002, 16:11   #313
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

While we have a short lull while waiting for Kobra to return, maybe some nice soul could post a map of the current situation?
Old December 13, 2002, 17:56   #314
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 22:20
OHWELL

I have just sent you a PM, you have untill monday morning USA time to answer it and then I will begin posting right here.

Please answer your PM.
Old December 13, 2002, 18:20   #315
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

huh???
Old December 13, 2002, 21:39   #316
0hwell
Chieftain

It's no secret; someone asked him to check my file to see if I was cheating, because of my taking of Bangkok. I know I did not because I had two or three cannons and a substanial naval force, plus a few infantry units. There was, I think, 2 or 3 native riflemen in the city. I really don't mind if you think that I cheated, but I asked conmcb25 to try taking the city with the units I had a few times. Hopefully that will clear things up, once he sees that it wasn't that difficult...
Old December 14, 2002, 15:14   #317
0hwell
Chieftain

Okay, John and Case have proven me wrong. Apparently I have been cheating in Timbuktu as well to take it. I did not remember cheating though, I still believe I got Bangkok clean but apparently this is not the case.

I am sorry for wasting your times. I hope you forgive me and allow me to keep playing because those that know me at CFC know I am an honest player, and you can learn to like me. I guess I cheated because it is just so hard to play when you can't take any cities with your current unit types. Again I am sorry and I hope you will forgive me.
Old December 14, 2002, 16:15   #318
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Actually my name is Steve, and I hope you stay in the PBEM World. It is up to the rest of the players in this PBEM whether you continue here or not. That is not my decision.

But at least you made the right decision and I think admitted it. Now the key is to stay squeeky clean from now on.

Your first paragraph Ohwell, you said you didn't remember, your second paragraph sounded like a confession. Which is it, did you cheat or not? If you still dont believe you cheated then please prove me wrong.

Basically it was pretty obvoius to me that the rules,txt was changed to greatly increase the attack values of the cannons outside of Bangkok the turn before Ohwell took Bangkok. That way he eliminated 3 of 4 Infantry with almost no damage to his units. Then the next turn it looks like he attacked with normal values in rules.txt , took some casulties (two I believe) and destroyed the one remaining infantry to capture Bangkok.

Case also found something in the capture of Timbuktu. So if you went back to the save before the Timbuktu capture or the Bangkok capture, which ever comes first I still believe you can continue with a clean game.

If you have questions post them here or email me:

knapowski_seabee@crane.navy.mil

Sorry about this guys but Im just the messanger, I think you all need to discuss this with Ohwell.

Last edited by conmcb25; December 14, 2002 at 16:45.
Old December 14, 2002, 18:29   #319
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
Quote:
Originally posted by conmcb25
Basically it was pretty obvoius to me that the rules,txt was changed to greatly increase the attack values of the cannons outside of Bangkok the turn before Ohwell took Bangkok. That way he eliminated 3 of 4 Infantry with almost no damage to his units. Then the next turn it looks like he attacked with normal values in rules.txt , took some casulties (two I believe) and destroyed the one remaining infantry to capture Bangkok.
I can confirm that that's what appears to have happened. The inital attack on Bangkok was undoubtably cheating, as was the attack on Timbuktu (where a badly damaged cannon with 4/7 of a movement point defeated a native intantry unit in a city with city walls on a river square). Both these acts of cheating would have required that the units stats have been hugely increased.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 14, 2002, 19:43   #320
0hwell
Chieftain

Okay Case I think the point has been made...
Old December 14, 2002, 20:46   #321
Case
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
I'm just pointing out that this was clearly deliberate cheating and not a quasi-accident like you seem to be claiming.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 14, 2002, 21:48   #322
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by 0hwell
Ohwell are you going to answer my question?:

"Your first paragraph Ohwell, you said you didn't remember, your second paragraph sounded like a confession. Which is it, did you cheat or not? If you still dont believe you cheated then please prove me wrong. "

And I dont think you really have grounds to be indignant here, Case was just trying to describe what he found because I didn't think it was my place to do that. That was for him to discuss.

Can you please answer the question?

Thanks
Old December 14, 2002, 22:57   #323
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Okay, John and Case have proven me wrong. Apparently I have been cheating in Timbuktu as well to take it. I did not remember cheating though, I still believe I got Bangkok clean but apparently this is not the case.
Honestly Ohwell, that doesn't sound like much of a confession to me. I'm hardly mad and I'll be glad to have you continue, but I do refuse to believe that you just slightly edited it and then forgot that you did. Going deep into the rules file and finding where the attack value is, and then setting the value very high isn't something you just don't recall and isn't something we can just ignore.

Quote:
I hope you forgive me and allow me to keep playing because those that know me at CFC know I am an honest player
As a matter of fact, there were two instances in the Insurrection game where I'm certain your combat results came from a rules edit. Understandably Case didn't want to make a big deal out of cheating from a game that had long since ended, so I didn't say anything. But I was still vigilant in games I was in with you, and then this happened.
Old December 15, 2002, 01:58   #324
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871 As a matter of fact, there were two instances in the Insurrection game where I'm certain your combat results came from a rules edit. Understandably Case didn't want to make a big deal out of cheating from a game that had long since ended, so I didn't say anything. But I was still vigilant in games I was in with you, and then this happened.
Actually I've just looked at the old files since my post and I can definitely prove it, so I hope you aren't going to give us the usual 'just this once' line. If you want to challenge this accusation go ahead, I have confirmation in screenshots.
Old December 15, 2002, 04:28   #325
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by 0hwell
I agree that you haven't exactly owned up to cheating, and I thank Case and conmcb25 for checking things out and giving us the detailed descriptions. I hardly think they were going overboard, they let us other players know what was going on, so we can decide what to do both concerning you and the cities you took.

This doesn't really speak well in your favor (not that cheating did in the first place).
Old December 15, 2002, 06:04   #326
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Well, what now? Ban the lowly f u c k e r from our game and start over in a turn where those cities were still clean? Who else is cheating?
Old December 15, 2002, 10:31   #327
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Ceteram I suggest you edit the above post before a moderator does it for you. Although appropriate it is asking to get yourself into trouble.

Again if you guys go back to the turn before both cities were captured I think you would have a clean game.

And Darius told me on AIM last night that Ohwell was going to be unable to login for a while. What that means I dont know, but he is unavailable. At least that is what Darius said. Darius you want to jump in here?

So unless Ohwell wants to keep playing and you want him to play I would get a substitute and go back a few turns. Ohwell is NOT passworded so you dont have to strip passwords.

Good Luck
Old December 15, 2002, 10:48   #328
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

All he said was for me to post on all his threads what happened here because he wouldn't be on for a day or two.

Quote:
Ohwell wrote on Dec 14, 2002 06:05 PM:

Could you do me a favor and relay the message that I cheated in the "Another Imperialism" Game at Apolyton?

In most or all the PBEMs please, because I will not be on much today or tomorrow.

Thanks
Old December 15, 2002, 13:59   #329
0hwell
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ceteram
Well, what now? Ban the lowly f u c k e r from our game and start over in a turn where those cities were still clean? Who else is cheating?
Boy you sure are nice. I would just love to play with you in other games.

Steve yes I did cheat.

Darius, your Insurrection point is moot because even Kobayashi, the maker of the damn scenario, said it was entirely possible. Gunships apparenlty can kill 2 Imperators. I believe the second instance you are talking about is when I killed an Imperator with TIE fighters, which is an entirely possible instance.

And I thought Steve was talking about the turn when I took Bangkok, which WAS valid. The turn before was not.

If you still want me to play I will not in this game because of Ceteram's unnecesary comment.
Old December 15, 2002, 14:26   #330
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

No problem, Ohwell. I don't play with cheaters.
Cheers,