Old June 11, 2002, 15:35   #1
SofaKing
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
SUGGESTION: Industrial Age Fixes
One area that could use some fleshing out is the Industrial Age. While the Ancient Age has 4 useless techs (provide nothing except as the pre-requisite for other techs), and the Middle Ages has 3, the Industrial Age has a whopping 7.
I know the editor can be used to fix this. However, in order to facilitate easier mutliplayer games, I think a standard fix would be useful. My sugestions are:

Radio - Broadcast station (2 unhappy citizens made content, culture generator)
Steel - make this the pre-requisite for Artillery (Replaceable parts give so much anyway)
Corporation - Commodities Exchange (Increase the efficiency of wealth. As a builder, I alway wind up with with much more production capacity than I can use, most notably towards the end of a game. This would make wealth a great an acceptable alterative to building scads of military units.)

As for Refining, Electricity, Medicine, and Atomic Theory I'm a blank. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old June 11, 2002, 16:28   #2
Iron Chancellor
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 21:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Make oil visible on the map before refining. (after all, tribesmen knew of the Transcaucasion oil fields in Marco Polo's time). Ditto for rubber. Don't let the trade/shield bonuses kick in until their current prereqs are discovered. That way, what was lying around for centuries suddenly becomes valuable.
Old June 11, 2002, 16:36   #3
SofaKing
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
While I agree with you in a real world sense, I think for the sake of gameplay that the resources stay hidden. I think it adds a lot of twists and excitement to the game. I'm alway keeping my fingers crossed when researching the "resource" techs.
Old June 11, 2002, 16:57   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I don't know about the broadcast station, it sounds like a useless improvement because I usually don't have a problem with unhappiness.
Old June 11, 2002, 17:16   #5
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 19:22
Uhm... Electricity is not just a filler tech. It actually has a game-rule adjustment with it already. In fact its one of the more useful ones, it allows you to irrigate a square without access to freshwater.
Old June 11, 2002, 21:47   #6
Thrawn05
King

The only changes I made... were with the Aircraft Carrier and Amphib Transport.

I set the A. Carrier to Adv. Flight tech, since it's silly be able to build Carrier's when you didn't research airplans yet.

The transports went to Amphib assault tech... it just made mor sense to me, and made that tech more "appealing".