Old June 12, 2002, 22:21   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 18:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New unit idea-Nuclear Bomber
I know most people would say "This is pointless" but what do you guys think of a nuclear bomber like the B-58 or B-47 or something? It would have a purpose. It should be available before sams, so it would have a purpose. It would also be a lot cheaper than an ICBM. I have no idea how to make units in general, how do you it? And besides that how would you make a bomber that could carry nukes and not have high defense but have a low interception rate. The b-58 was the first US mach 2 plane and could outfly everything trying to intercept it. Of course it became obsolete after sams, but wouldn't it be cool?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 13, 2002, 00:02   #2
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 21:26
yeah, it probably would be "cool", and yeah, ive thought about adding this kind of unit into my games.. but i kept running into one basic problem...

The plane isn't "kamikaze" by nature, so it would survive its own deliverance of a nuker, right? And we can't set it so that the plane actually carries a nuke over, and drops it (i hope im right there)...

so your only option is make it a kamikaze nuke plane? Or (and im not sure if it is or isnt possible) make it a plane whose regular bombing is nukes.

Either way, you are either making a plane not any better than cruise missles...

or your making a unit SO powerful, that it should cost thousands of shields more than an ICBM. A nuke every turn is crazy.

i dunno, those were the issues i thought of when i thought of making this unit. feel free to prove them wrong, i would love to have sucha unit afterall.
Old June 13, 2002, 00:29   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:26
Just make a bomber that carries a Tactical Nuke. Other than that, you could only have kamikaze nuke planes, since there's really no other way to represent the idea in Civ a the moment.
Old June 13, 2002, 09:56   #4
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 20:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Just make a bomber that carries a Tactical Nuke.
CTP had it. Civ3 needs a B-52 or B-1 style bomber. The choice of only props and stealth is pretty lacking. Such a weapon should be capable of conventional bombing or nuclear bombing, possibly with infinate range. The stealth should also carry nukes. This would leave us with a nuclear option after SDI.

User interface: move tactical nuke to city, hit the load button, when bomber is active (with nuke loaded) a nuke bombing button should appear with the conventional and precision bombing buttons at the bottom of the screen, hit the nuke bomb button and select target, watch enemy die.

Last edited by Carver; June 13, 2002 at 12:58.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:05   #5
johncmcleod
Prince

I just thought of a use. It would be used instead of ICBMs against civs with missile defense. I missile defense system wouldn't be able to stop a bomber.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 13, 2002, 13:39   #6
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 20:26
Old June 14, 2002, 11:40   #7
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 02:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i'd probubly class it as a kamikazie! Cuz with early nukes, they only had a few. So they'd have to ship them over, you could just imagen that you no longer have a nuke, so the planes worthless, so you have to make a new nuke, which would actualy mean you have to build the hole unit again (I'll stop now cuz its turning into babul!), get my drift?
Old June 14, 2002, 12:12   #8
Radiation Zero
Settler

Yeah, but that's irritating.

Yeah, next patch, stealth bombers should be able to load & use tac. nukes. >
Old June 14, 2002, 12:14   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:26
Ditto what Carver says, should be this way. This is one of things where CtP bested other games.
Old June 14, 2002, 13:10   #10
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
This would leave us with a nuclear option after SDI.
So, bearing in mind that the SAM site improvement is rubbish and SDI wouldn't protect against plane-launched nukes, we would have a nuke against which there is no defense- what with the nukes being delivered by stealth bombers.

This might sound like a great idea now, but can you imagine how pissed off you'd be when the AI starts using it?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old June 15, 2002, 07:38   #11
huntergatherer
Settler

i agree. I'll probably be called a heretic for this, but CtP2 outclassed Civ 3 in every aspect concerning Nuclear Warfare. Par exemple, the MAD system and the Nuke armed bombers. Oh well, perhaps in PTW?