Old June 13, 2002, 10:40   #1
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 21:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The I wanna talk about AoW II threadiii (Suomi)
Well not in Finnish anyway.

Anybody pick up Age of Wonders II? I'd be interested in hearing from my fellow 'Polytons as I value your opinions deeply.

Let me know if this is a game worthy of picking up or not.

Thanks in advance
Old June 13, 2002, 11:52   #2
chronocrator
Warlord

Local Time: 03:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd like to know the same thing, I enjoy HoMM4 quite a bit, how is AoW2 in comparison to it?

Are there any reviews out yet?

BTW is the game out in the US allready, AFAIK it cannot be found on German store shelves yet.
Old June 13, 2002, 12:02   #3
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by chronocrator
I'd like to know the same thing, I enjoy HoMM4 quite a bit, how is AoW2 in comparison to it?

BTW is the game out in the US allready, AFAIK it cannot be found on German store shelves yet.
AoW is a mix of HoMM, Warlords, MoM and good old Civ.
More of half of those innovations you saw in HoMM4 were already done in the first AoW.
In the second one you got wizards, heroes, 12 different races, you can now build towns and loads of improvements to the game...there's a beta demo on Fileplanet I think, about 100mb...if you're on cable or higher go check it out...I believe the regular demo will be out very soon.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:13   #4
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chronocrator

There are no reviews out yet but the game is in stores here in the US. I'm waiting for both official and unofficial reviews before I pick this one up.

da_jaymz description of AoW hit the nail right on the head. I have the first AoW and enjoyed it a lot. Hopefully AoW II will be just as fun to play. We shall see.................
Old June 13, 2002, 14:13   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
You damn fraud.
Old June 13, 2002, 14:40   #6
JohnIII
Warlord

Local Time: 02:27
I didn't enjoy either AoW or HOMMIII as much as HOMMII. That game is so refined.
Old June 13, 2002, 15:09   #7
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

JohnIII: I agree that HOMM3 is not the "perfect" game that Heroes II was in terms of refinement. It did however add a lot of features that I liked (especially map editor style things for story maps), even if it backpedaled in some areas (making you have heroes farm creature dwellings every week so you don't lose them, stupid and annoying), and thus I respect it for that reason.

I got my copy of AOW2 yesterday (had it pre-ordered), but I've been way too busy to play it much. I did play the demo a lot though (which is why I bought it), and I was highly, highly impressed. Unless the campaign sucks, I expect to be impressed with the full game too.

More soon!
Old June 14, 2002, 15:47   #8
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

So whats new or supposed to be new about AoW 2?

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 14, 2002, 17:29   #9
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
So whats new or supposed to be new about AoW 2?
get the beta demo and see it for yourself.. http://aow2.godgames.com/demo_download.html

just scroll down...
Old June 15, 2002, 00:42   #10
SnowFire
Emperor

It's AOW with lots of play balance issues corrected and lots of new strategic things to think about. In other words, better.

My one complaint is still that combat can be a bit random. Take 3 catapults, with attacks of 14 and damage of 16 against a target with reasonably good defense... if they get lucky, they can shell out unstoppably painful amounts of punishment. Or you can be almost totally unscathed for 3 rounds of firing.

And oh yes, the plot isn't as good as AOW1 so far. I'm hoping that more will be revealed as I advance.
Old June 15, 2002, 01:09   #11
Pythagoras
King

What about replayability? I had a beef with not being able to do much after the campaign was over. I was hoping to be able to make campaigns (not jsut maps) and/or generate random scenarios/maps?

Old June 15, 2002, 01:24   #12
SnowFire
Emperor

Well, there were no less than 4 endings to the campaign in AOW. But I don't think you can create campaigns as it stands (Except by hand with a series of maps and pre-set carry overs), although I'm told that AOW2Ed was used to create the game.
Old June 15, 2002, 04:04   #13
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 22:27
I am downing the demo now.
Old June 15, 2002, 04:59   #14
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Final Demo is out now...will be downloading soon
http://gigex.com/gp/gp.asp?PackageId...0013&source=05

http://www.shacknews.com/fileshack/d...alDemo_RC1.exe

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/demo.asp?id=3264
Old June 15, 2002, 20:11   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Well, I've gotten a chance to play it now....
Good game

It basically improves upon the first in every way, and none of the changes are a step backward in my opinion (atleast, not that I have seen so far)

The magic and research part of the game, town managment, andas the combat engine have all been greatly improved, and the races/units have been cleaned up a bit, but no drastic changes. (Although, I haven't gotten a chance to play them all yet)

My only complaints are that it still takes ages for the computer to take their turns on classical mode, and it goes a bit sluggish for me on the larger maps. The new graphics are nice... but I don't think it was enough of an improvement to warrant the higher system requirements.

Do It Ourselves
Old June 16, 2002, 12:32   #16
Pythagoras
King

Re: Well, I've gotten a chance to play it now....
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Good game

It basically improves upon the first in every way, and none of the changes are a step backward in my opinion (atleast, not that I have seen so far)

The magic and research part of the game, town managment, andas the combat engine have all been greatly improved, and the races/units have been cleaned up a bit, but no drastic changes. (Although, I haven't gotten a chance to play them all yet)

My only complaints are that it still takes ages for the computer to take their turns on classical mode, and it goes a bit sluggish for me on the larger maps. The new graphics are nice... but I don't think it was enough of an improvement to warrant the higher system requirements.
Sounds like no improved replayability though, its main flaw.
Ill probably wait till it gets down to 20 bucks, which it will soon since it wont catch on like civ3 which has tons of replayability.

Old June 16, 2002, 15:00   #17
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Re: Re: Well, I've gotten a chance to play it now....
Quote:

Ill probably wait till it gets down to 20 bucks, which it will soon since it wont catch on like civ3 which has tons of replayability.
I have yet to see a random map generator that can make maps worth playing on - especially when they are as detailed as in AoW.

I don't have any problem playing on premade maps, and they don't neccisarily have to mean poor replayability. Take EU2 for instance - the map is always the same, but to me, it is still the most replayable game that I've ever seen.

Do It Ourselves
Old June 16, 2002, 15:56   #18
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Re: Re: Well, I've gotten a chance to play it now....
Quote:

Check the demo out, click on the links I posted above.
Game features multiplayer also so try that out too.
Old June 16, 2002, 19:34   #19
Pythagoras
King

Re: Re: Re: Well, I've gotten a chance to play it now....
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

I have yet to see a random map generator that can make maps worth playing on - especially when they are as detailed as in AoW.

I don't have any problem playing on premade maps, and they don't neccisarily have to mean poor replayability. Take EU2 for instance - the map is always the same, but to me, it is still the most replayable game that I've ever seen.
I agree that the random map generator would be hard to do in AoW. However, I would like to see the ability to make campaigns, and even better multiplayer campaigns. That would be an awesome game.

Old June 16, 2002, 21:48   #20
SnowFire
Emperor

As far as I'm concerned, the problem with AOW's replayability was simply that the map editor wasn't complex enough, limiting the style of downloadable maps. Heroes games have always allowed you to do crazy story maps and other fun things, not to mention more fun with difficulty levels. (and by the way, AOW1's original maps were actually not that detailed. It still doesn't mean that a random map generator wouldn't suck, because for a game like that, a map generator fundamentally does not know how a map will play. It certainly won't create good maps.)

From what I've seen so far, AOW2 improves on that. And just in terms of sheer messages, I'm really impressed at the first scenario- the actual amount of map you need to conquer is fairly small, but there's massive massive side areas to explore if you want, all with neat little messages and signs filling you in. I'm talking massive- it feels like this area existed first, and there happened to be a war fought on it later, and it just happened to be balanced for it.
Old June 16, 2002, 22:30   #21
Pythagoras
King

I think what I would like is the ability to craft (and play) my own story line. Imagine a Lord of Rings campaign, or a Wheel of Time campaign. The posibilities would be endless. Throw in the ability to play these story lines multiplayer, and wow I couldnt stop playing.

Old June 16, 2002, 23:31   #22
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 20:27
I say it advertised recently, and was wondering about it myself. I will have to check it out when I get a free minute.
Old June 22, 2002, 14:15   #23
Pythagoras
King

Gamespot's review. Im very interested. I wish I had money though

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...871030,00.html

Old June 22, 2002, 15:00   #24
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 20:27
I don't trust any gaming magazine review. There is too much incentive for them to be pro game, esp. if you see the game in question company has bought much advertising. It is too biased, can be pro or negative; but rarely objective. I have seen too many comment about how a game review encouraged them to buy the game, only to find out the article was misleading at best.

I go with word of mouth and filter out the obviously biased ones. You can usually get a better review this way; esp. if you know the people talking about it. I have found this to be a much better way to learn about a game, and have purchased some good games (the kind I would like to play, and managed to steer away from some that wouldn't interest me, even though the gaming mag made it sound like it would.
Old June 22, 2002, 17:38   #25
Pythagoras
King

Well I tend to agree with the critics. Some are better than others, and gamespot is up there for me.

Old June 23, 2002, 00:25   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:27
Nothing on Games Domain yet, that's the site with which I agree with most.
Old June 23, 2002, 00:52   #27
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 22:27
I have been playing AoW2 for two days straight now.

Its fun, but then again, I only have Lords of Magic SE to compare it with since I am not a big fan of these style games.

I can't wait for the patch though, as it seems a few tweaks are in order.
Old June 24, 2002, 08:22   #28
Cookie Monster
King

Well since my fellow 'Polytoners are not really raving about AoW2 or shooting it down I've decided to wait for bargain bin prices before giving this one a try.
Old June 24, 2002, 14:29   #29
SnowFire
Emperor

Hey, don't get the wrong idea from my complaints. AOW2 really is a fantastic game, it's just not quite perfect.

If you're concerned about economy, grab your time-machine and pre-order it. I got it for 30 bucks that way.
Old June 25, 2002, 05:15   #30
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:27
Games Domain's hot off the press review

It got a silver star, which means it's quite good