Old June 13, 2002, 11:19   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 21:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Information On Some SMAC Pictures
I was wondering around the internet and found this site with some pictures of AC on it. These particular pictures caught my attention. Are these from the early versions or are these in the game somewhere? My only clue is that they are from early versions that were redesigned.

1 http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/011.html

2 http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/012.html

3 http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/007.html

here is the main menue

http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/pictures.html

edit. this picture makes me think it's some kind of mod or something

http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/016.html
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old June 13, 2002, 11:22   #2
Sprayber
Emperor

Check out those PK tanks

http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/017.html
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old June 13, 2002, 11:26   #3
Panzer
Warlord

Local Time: 03:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wow! That's.........different. I think these pics are indeed from an early version of the game. Pretty spiffy !
Old June 13, 2002, 11:28   #4
Sprayber
Emperor

This is most bizarre. Look down at the lower right hand corner at the map that shows the entire planet. Is that a feauture that shows mosture or rain fall

http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/018.html
Old June 13, 2002, 11:38   #5
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Silly newbies.

These are from prebeta or early beta. If I had to make a bet, I'd say June or July of '98.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 13, 2002, 11:48   #6
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Silly newbies.

These are from prebeta or early beta. If I had to make a bet, I'd say June or July of '98.
Ah didn't we both say that they were probably early design pictures? I was just interested if anyone had information about the specific items such as features they dropped. It appears that some features were dropped.

Provost Mango?
Old June 13, 2002, 11:55   #7
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'm just joking with you. It is just that you didn't even recognize the old unit design system.

Various features were dropped for a number of reasons Either they weren't useful, too buggy, slowed down the game too much, or just didn't fit in well.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 13, 2002, 12:24   #8
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Check out those PK tanks

http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/017.html
I agree I think they were early pre-release pics. Also I beleive the tanks you refer to are in actuality crawlers if I had to guess.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 13, 2002, 13:27   #9
Clear Skies
Prince

Personsally, I think they should've kept the old base design for the University...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old June 13, 2002, 15:39   #10
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 23:27
i dunno ogie... the lasers on the front lead me to believe otherwise...

i actually like that old unit workshop. plus the old mining platforms from SMAC(they're different in SMAX) are better IMO. in the 018 picture what do you take that thing in the water SW of hawk of chiron to be? a unity pod?
Old June 13, 2002, 18:08   #11
Apocalypse
Emperor

Yep, it's a unity pod.
Old June 13, 2002, 20:44   #12
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Definitely a unity pod. Looks pretty much like the break up pods of unity from the intro movie.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 13, 2002, 20:52   #13
Apocalypse
Emperor

I forget why they were changed. There was a very interesting reason for it. It escapes me at the moment though.
Old June 14, 2002, 00:22   #14
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
Those old graphics are really cool, I wonder why they changed them all.
Old June 14, 2002, 04:40   #15
aaglo
King

Local Time: 05:27
I have posted these same pics about half year ago... and I was wondering the same thing...

Shame.. this pre-beta versions look better... or different...
Old June 14, 2002, 09:09   #16
Apocalypse
Emperor

Now that I had time to sleep on it, I think the unity pods were changed because the original look was like the pods the factions came down in. If you look at the unity, there isn't a whole lot of them. For this reason, they were made to look different.
Old June 14, 2002, 16:20   #17
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 18:27
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Picture #19 is the most interesting to me. It appears to be from a cinema scene that didn't make it into the game maybe. This is possibly because of the infantry chassis shown isn't the one used in the game ('cept for crawlers & formers).

Here's the link
http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/019.html
Old June 15, 2002, 10:56   #18
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 20:27
http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/007.html

I really like the terain in this one. Why oh why did they change it? IMO, the terrain here looked so much better. The current terrain is so unrealistic. In fact, if there is one think in SMAC, I actually can't stand, it's the terrain! They should have kept the old stuff.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old June 15, 2002, 11:14   #19
Apocalypse
Emperor

That terrain is less detailed and it doesn't flow as well as the current one.
Old June 15, 2002, 11:20   #20
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
That terrain is less detailed and it doesn't flow as well as the current one.
I am not saying that it did not need any improvement. They could have fixed it but keep the overall style the same. IMO, they did not need to completely throw it away. I hate the new terrain graphics!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old June 15, 2002, 11:35   #21
Apocalypse
Emperor

It still didn't blend as well as the current one. The resource graphics are also much worse in the old set.
Old June 15, 2002, 19:56   #22
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Re: the unity pods in 018 - anyone else think they look like "messages in bottles"?
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old June 15, 2002, 19:59   #23
Apocalypse
Emperor

Kinda by the way they are just floating in there. I would think they'd have some floaty ballons or something to make them do that.
Old June 15, 2002, 21:09   #24
Sprayber
Emperor

I agree with Apocalypse in that I like the terrain that the current game has. But I think the old interface is kind of cooler. Who knows why they changed it. Maybe they felt it just didn't work good enough. As to the base graphics. They don't look as futuristic as the current ones do. Maybe they could have included them as replacements to provide a little variety.

What would have been kind of cool was if each faction had it's own interface scheme. If of course it didn't take away from the performance of the game.

http://www.all4games.com/pc/alphacentauri/011.html
Old June 15, 2002, 21:53   #25
Sprayber
Emperor

This page shows a picture of the old faction display screen. It's small but you can tell the difference.

http://www.crus.com/software/previews/alpha2.html
Old June 15, 2002, 23:37   #26
Apocalypse
Emperor

The reason for the interface change was because that original interface was too bulky. There were also going to have separate interfaces for each faction, but due to time constraints, they decided just to make one really good one.
Old June 15, 2002, 23:38   #27
Apocalypse
Emperor

If you have any other questions about graphics, feel free to ask. I can probably remember the answer. If not, I might be able to look it up.
Old June 16, 2002, 13:34   #28
The diplomat
King

Note: since the link is from geocities, you have the cut and paste the link to see the pic. Cut and paste just the link. Apolyton might paste the link after the apolyton adress in your adress bar, don't let it.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...basescreen.jpg

here is a screenshot from the old base screen. pretty cool if you ask me! I can see why they changed it: it was way too crowded. With the interface completely surrounding it, the base in the middle feels claustrophobic

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...ac/council.jpg

old council screen

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...c/Datalink.jpg

old datalinks screen. You'll notice weapons that were dropped from the final game. for ex, the nanomissile battery. But I like the close-up pic of the weapon.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC.../smac/ss15.jpg

here is the diplo screen that Sprayber linked to.
Old June 16, 2002, 16:20   #29
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:27
Are there any pictures of the other faction's interface? I sure would like to play some games with those.
Old June 16, 2002, 16:29   #30
Apocalypse
Emperor

None that I know of. I think the old one in those pictures is kinda like their idea for the Spartan's interface though.