Old June 13, 2002, 23:01   #1
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 21:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which Civ? SMAC to Civ3
Ok, I never really played much Civ. I started my journey into TBS with SMAC (eventually SMACX), and played (but never finished) a few games of Civ2 later on.

Now, in SMAC I really liked the University faction. I like being a scientific civ. However, I've found I can't really find a civ that fits my playing style (read: I'm not used to civ and its strategies and its civ attributes, and i really suck). I've tryed Greece, Germany, and Russia, but I'm still not sure. What civ would anyone suggest I start with?
Old June 13, 2002, 23:21   #2
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Hmm, well if you're scientific i'd suggest Persia. They're Industrious/Scientific. Which means they build all terrain improvements twice as fast and get extra shields in larger citys. Also being scientific they build science-affecting city improvements easier, and also get 1 free advance per age. (3 extra advances). They also have the Immortals as there UU(Uninque Unit), a 4.2.1 thats great if any Civ decides to try an early war with you.
Old June 14, 2002, 01:48   #3
Travathian
Warlord

Local Time: 18:31
I'll second that idea. Good choice.
Old June 14, 2002, 08:39   #4
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I've done OK with the Persians but I dont think the scientific trait is too useful.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old June 14, 2002, 08:46   #5
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Babylon (religious+scientific) is probably a good choice for him. Religious is always good, and if he wants to be scientific, it's the Babs. They are also the civ for a quick cultural buildup, but not much for warmongering though.
Old June 14, 2002, 16:39   #6
Switch
Prince

thanx for the tips . I'll try those two civs out, and hopefully get out of chieftan level (honestly ).
Old June 14, 2002, 18:28   #7
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Today, I say Japanese. I stay in a state of change of thought.
Old June 15, 2002, 14:07   #8
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Getting out of levels such as Chieftain, or Warlord, is what all who have played have strived for!
Except if you only play on a certain level and really do not care to beat it on Deity level!
But then, any number of years can be spent playing Civilization!
You the Boss!
You the Big Chief!
Old June 15, 2002, 18:22   #9
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 20:31
I'll second the recommendation for the Babs. Cheap temples, cheap libraries, lots and lots of culture. At Regent and below, it is almost trivial to obtain and keep a tech lead. Sell specific techs to *all* of the other civs and dump the earnings into your own tech production. Lather, rinse, repeat every 8-10 turns. You'll quickly get to the point where you're making a new tech every 4 turns while nobody else in the world can make any tech because they're giving all their money to you. Pay close attention to the duration on your trades and do not let them slip a turn after expiring, or else the AI will start spending his money and won't have any left to offer you in trade. You'll get 2 - 3 techs for their 1.

The thing to do is look at each culture and find one that suits your style. Remember that the standard "builder" play style will not survive at any level below regent; you've got to play builder/hybrid, if not completely militant. Rapidly explore and expand, and fight at least 1 early war (hopefully generating a Great Leader).

The babylonians are pretty well suited to early survival, the problem is starting out right next to Persia and Zulu. Persia is well suited to early dominance, but foes not have the advantages of Religious. Industrious is a fair trade-off for scientifuc, in that you develop your country faster, which allows you to build things faster.

Try playing with fewer opponents so you'll have a little more space to expand into before having to fight.