Old June 14, 2002, 08:17   #1
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 03:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MP on lan, can't get anybody to join lobby
Ive read through all the posts I can, and searched on this but couldn't find any responses regards to the problem ive been having.

I have 2 sets, linked together with 10Mb Ethernet link .

CTP works fine, both machines join the lobby .. no problems.

CTP2 .. seems to be showing different lobbies, both machines get to the lobby, but neither user can see the other joining.

Now the only reference to this I found was about internet games having problems .. so I tried copying the servers.dat file (which didn't even exist on my install) and no luck.

Also, im running 1.11 on both sets.

ANY IDEAS???? Im sick of playing CTP only ...
Old June 14, 2002, 10:04   #2
ETB
Warlord

Local Time: 21:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My father, brother and I successfully played part of a LAN game so it does work. But that was several months ago and my memory isn’t what it used to be. Did you try setting up a game? I don’t recall if you can see each other in the lobby of a LAN game, but perhaps you could just set up the game and have the other player just join into the game? I’ll try it out at home to help my old memory banks if no one else responds to your inquiry.
Old June 14, 2002, 12:34   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:32
Actually, yes - you should be able to see each other in the lobby of a LAN game (My roommate and I play CTP/CTP2 via LAN all the time).

Viceroy, we've had the same problem (ie, not seeing each other) in the past. Here is what to check:

1. Make sure both computers have the same version/mod/patch of the game.

2. If you still cannot see each other:

a. totally delete/uninstall CTP2 from both machines.

b. Restart both machines.

c. Install CTP2 on both machines with the same patch version.

d. Restart both machines.

This is what my roommate and I ended up having to do and after our reinstall, we were able to see each other in the lobby.

Hope this helps!
Old June 18, 2002, 09:13   #4
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 03:32
Thanks Wittlich .. nice to see you again ..

I had actually tried that very thing, but with no sucess , but I was installing the patch also on both before trying.

Un-installed, re-installed .. but didn't apply the patch .. and hey-presto it worked .

I will try putting the patch on again once ive completed the new game with my bro-in-law .. and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
Old June 18, 2002, 15:40   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:32
Hmmm, with the patch you can't see each other, but without the patch you can...It sounds like either one of two things are happening:
1. Both of the computers are not using the same patch version
or
2. The patch that you have is corrupted.

I would delete the patch program from both computers and download it again from Apolyton.

See how that works.
Old June 24, 2002, 09:55   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:32
Quote:
Originally posted by ETB
My father, brother and I successfully played part of a LAN game so it does work.
Out of curiosity, does your brother also post on these forums, ETB?
Old July 11, 2002, 15:15   #7
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
Hey Viceroy,
did it work out in the end? sort of sounded like the patch hadn't worked on one of your pc's? easy way to check is that on the title screen you will see a little v1.1 in the bottom right of the screen.
I have played a fair bit of Lan mp(although it's getting less and less ) so if it's still not working will try to offer my tuppence worth.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old July 11, 2002, 16:10   #8
ETB
Warlord

Local Time: 21:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Out of curiosity, does your brother also post on these forums, ETB?
Locutus, my brother doesn’t come here very often although he’s the one that told me about this site a few years ago! Anyway, he is involved with a RTS game (Armada) right now but he may come back to CtP2 when Armada loses its appeal….
Old July 11, 2002, 16:14   #9
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:32
Bah, the heathen! So, is he registered? Do we know him?