Old June 14, 2002, 09:29   #1
Amadan
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Leaders and Armies
This has been mentioned by others in other threads, but thought I would give it its own:

Just as Elite land units spawn leaders that can create armies, Elite sea units should have a chance at creating leaders to generate Navies or Fleets which would act the same as armies.

Not sure if Elite planes should have the same effect, but you could have an "air wing" (or something) that would be the same as an army.

Any reason this would be impossible to do or be imballancing?
Old June 14, 2002, 10:04   #2
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 21:32
Re: Leaders and Armies
Quote:
Originally posted by Amadan
This has been mentioned by others in other threads, but thought I would give it its own:

Just as Elite land units spawn leaders that can create armies, Elite sea units should have a chance at creating leaders to generate Navies or Fleets which would act the same as armies.

Not sure if Elite planes should have the same effect, but you could have an "air wing" (or something) that would be the same as an army.

Any reason this would be impossible to do or be imballancing?
The leader idea has been discussed a lot. I think most people would agree that its underrealized, in the way you mentioned and also the need to make more domestic benefits for leaders and domestic ways to generate leaders.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 21, 2002, 03:09   #3
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

It would be nice; have naval and air versions of Armies, as well as naval and air Leaders.
Old June 21, 2002, 16:12   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 22:32
Second expansion pack.......

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 21, 2002, 17:44   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:32
Unfortunately the 2nd XP is at least a year and a quarter away.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 21, 2002, 18:15   #6
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 02:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PTW definitely won't have sea or air leaders, sadly
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old June 21, 2002, 21:17   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:32
What would you do with a naval "fleet"?? Have a fleet of Ironclads to knock down a Destroyer or Battleship?

Or would you use a "fleet" of Carrier, Battleship, Destroyer so it would cost 2-3 Battleships to take it out?

I do not see the need for it.

On land, there are defensive terrain advantages, so there is much more of a 'need' for Armies.

Great Leaders originate from personal heroism/leadership that is most applicable to ground warfare; fellow warriors "see" the amazing prowess of 'Bubba the Great' (or are told about it).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old June 22, 2002, 00:53   #8
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

There are numerous historical examples of fleet actions, as well as air fleets. Leaders of these two services provided victory. Take Midway, without the naval leader, America would have suffered a tremendous defeat. Same thing for Japanese at Pearl Harbor and during the Russo-Japanese War, etc., etc.

As to the smaller ships vs larger, that also is historical, check out the English Fleet against the Spanish Armada, among others.

While I don't use a whole of navy unless I play islands, I do know the benefits of it.
Old June 25, 2002, 16:40   #9
Signa
Warlord

Ive played Greeks on the continent of Austrailia and declared war on everybody but im perfectly safe due to my massive fleet. I have 3 Hoplites for land units in the modern era. Sea power can be 100x more important than land. Fleets are a great idea, something I had been toying with myself...