View Poll Results: Which victory conditions do you turn off?
Spaceship 3 9.38%
Domination 1 3.13%
Conquest 1 3.13%
Diplomatic 20 62.50%
Cultural 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14, 2002, 15:18   #1
nato
Prince

Local Time: 21:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which victory conditions do you turn off?
Right now I turn off cultural and domination. I turn those two off because I don't like accidentally triggering them. It feels like the game suddenly is pulled out from under me. They're just too easy to trigger, ending the game without meaning to.

Any other ideas for winning conditions? Not necesarily new ones to be programmed in, but just goals to aim for?

I was just wondering what most people go for these days, and I don't recall a poll like this recently.

Edit - Ahhh I don't know how to make polls, I wanted the checklist thing... oops
Old June 14, 2002, 15:29   #2
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 02:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Diplomatic - ihateitihateitihateitihateit.

I hate that thefact that I have the build the damn UN, when I could be off building a useful wonder. I hat the fact that I get no bonus votes for building the damn UN. I hate the fact I can lose the game, even though I'm the dominant civ, and all because I built the damn UN!
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old June 14, 2002, 15:49   #3
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:35
Cultural, same reasons nato cited.
Old June 14, 2002, 17:19   #4
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 03:35
I usually turn off diplomatic. I won it once and lost it twice, so I know how to win it and learned from my failures. But the game is over far too early and unspectacular and you don't get the chance to research the modern times techs.

I haven't turned off cultural yet, because I never had a cultural victory yet. Once I have that, I might turn it off as well, as I heard so many people complaining that it happend accidentially.

I once turned of space race, because I wanted to see the rest of the techs, but IMO they are not that exciting as the ones from the previous ages, so I leave space race turned on now.
Old June 14, 2002, 17:39   #5
Incan_Warrior
Chieftain

Currently I turn off diplomatic and space race. A diplomatic win isn't very fulfilling as many others have stated. And as for Space race - has anyone had a legitimate space race - as in, you had a Civ that was actually close to you in competition? I suspect that most players typically have a huge tech lead and throttle the other civs. I guess I also don't like space race it is the one part of Civilization that has no basis in our history - it assumes we will one day have the capabilities to not only discover a planet that supports life, but get there. Since that hasn't actually happened yet, I prefer to keep my game on Earth.
Old June 14, 2002, 17:46   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 04:35
I don't exactly have any of them set to off, but I have changed two of them:

UN: It now gives two advances (Didn't know what else to do with it), instead of triggering the UN victory

SpaceShip: ALL of the components needed are now more expensive to build, most the components now costs 100 shields more, while it was random number for some other components...
Old June 14, 2002, 17:59   #7
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

I turn off Diplomatic off course. I'm usually involved in some major wars and don't want a game to end just like that.
It makes for a too sudden victory.
Old June 14, 2002, 18:05   #8
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I leave them all on. If I wanted a straight war game then I'd pick all war opponents, for instance.
Old June 14, 2002, 18:21   #9
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 19:35
I keep them all on. The only one I considered turning off is the diplomatic (UN victory) one just because I lost the last game I played when the computer player got elected world leader.

Frick! And I was 3 turns from competing my spaceship too!!
Old June 14, 2002, 18:24   #10
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Incan_Warrior
I guess I also don't like space race it is the one part of Civilization that has no basis in our history - it assumes we will one day have the capabilities to not only discover a planet that supports life, but get there. Since that hasn't actually happened yet, I prefer to keep my game on Earth.

I don't mean to be an arse but does that mean you turn off the cure for cancer too? We haven't actually discovered that yet.
Old June 14, 2002, 18:28   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Where is the friggin' "NONE" option in the poll?

What kind of challenge is it if you don't give the AI a chance (e.g., they beating you to the UN and winning the election)?

(Remember though, I always play at Regent level)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old June 14, 2002, 19:18   #12
Coracle
Prince

Why can't I vote for more than one??

I ended the spaceship deal when the game suddenly ended as the Chinese launched but I didn't even know they were building it as I was unable to get a spy in Beijing despite five tries one of which started a war.
Ah, Espionage. . . BAH.
Old June 15, 2002, 02:23   #13
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I don't turn any of them off. Thus, I can not participate in this poll. I never go for the diplo victory, though. But why should I take this opportunity to beat me from the AI? And it makes the building of the UN mantantory for me, even though I don't need it.
Old June 15, 2002, 02:33   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I leave them all on. At Emperor accidentally winning by culture is a bit hard to do, at least for my style.

If I slip and win by domination, the game is over for all intents and purposes anyway.

Diplomatic is not hard to avoid, winning or losing. I've never let the AI build the UN.

SpaceShip... now that is the fun one. Must arrange world affairs so that I can flatten any civ that seems like it will come close to launching. It's the challenge in the end game.
Old June 15, 2002, 03:31   #15
Rust
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Why can't I vote for more than one??

I ended the spaceship deal when the game suddenly ended as the Chinese launched but I didn't even know they were building it as I was unable to get a spy in Beijing despite five tries one of which started a war.
Ah, Espionage. . . BAH.
I think it's very easy to plant spies once you have a tech lead, I always wait till I do, then I plant in every civ at once. Hardly ever a problem if done this way.

I also, like NYE prefer to be forced into nuking and razing capitals, while I continue on with domination.

I can see how you may accidentally acheive a culture victory on a larger than standard map. Aside from this however, if you feel the need to turn victory conditions off perhaps you need to consider a lower difficulty setting first.

Last edited by Rust; June 15, 2002 at 04:03.
Old June 15, 2002, 05:12   #16
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I turn culture off -- I am a builder and love "culture war", but it causes the game to end much too soon with the culture victory condition. With it off, I can culture war to my heart's content with no fear of a sudden stop to the fun.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 15, 2002, 05:46   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

At what difficulty level?
Old June 15, 2002, 15:46   #18
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:35
Hmmm, this should probably be a multiple choice poll.

I usually turn off Space and Diplomatic for my fun games, but I don't turn any off if I really want to play a serious game.
Old June 15, 2002, 15:58   #19
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I don't turn any of them off. I'm lazy.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 15, 2002, 16:14   #20
Thrawn05
King

Where's the option for:

"I don't turn anything off, it's just one big banana game to me."

Old June 15, 2002, 21:45   #21
Akka
Prince

I turn off cultural, diplomatic and domination.
It's just so anticlimatic to get suddendly a "you've won !" checkbox out of nowhere that end the game.
Feels more like a sudden death rather than a victory.
Old June 16, 2002, 05:11   #22
zulu9812
King

Yes - there should be a movie for all victories, not just Space Race
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old June 16, 2002, 05:15   #23
notyoueither
Deity

You are correct zulu.

I didn't see it until March or so, after many games completed by victory (and defeat or resignation) by other than space ship.
Old June 16, 2002, 05:17   #24
notyoueither
Deity

On a previous vein, defeat should involve more than the bruised screen.
Old June 16, 2002, 11:35   #25
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

I just finished my 1.17/16 cvi/Regent/Huge with large continents game by launching the ship (in 2011). I can understand going to Mars before getting Robotics, but not Alpha C. Perhaps I'll move the Superconductor advance to after Robotics.

WHAT am I saying!! It took me 3-1/2 MONTHS to finish that game!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old June 16, 2002, 11:45   #26
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
On a previous vein, defeat should involve more than the bruised screen.
Yes! When you lose your last city, your leadership image should play an animation similar to a Rifleman when it is destroyed. Full body shot, 3/4 screen size, frontal view. I think it would work really well to dramatize your boffing it totally.

If you lose just because someone else wins, a frontal face shot like those we are so totally familiar with of a -- just a total letdown/disappointment frown.

If you lose to someone else launching, you get to be "surprised" by watching the movie, THEN having the frown shot.
Old June 17, 2002, 04:37   #27
Mannamagnus
Prince

Diplomatic and sometimes space ship.