Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 02:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
*yawns* who's next?
If we consider our 1st turn is complete it is the Marquis. I think we shall go ahead and let LaFayette rejoin us later on as he is apparently recruiting spies in some nice secret hidden place

Last edited by Julius Brenzaida; June 19, 2002 at 02:33.
Old June 19, 2002, 02:27   #32
Julius Brenzaida
King

The lineup
2nd turn

1) Marquis de Sodaq
2) Space05us [should play now]
3) -Jrabbit
4) Julius
5) Scouse Gits (2)
6) Straybow
7) Scouse Gits (1)
8) LaFayette, eventually

Last edited by Julius Brenzaida; June 21, 2002 at 03:55.
Old June 19, 2002, 11:35   #33
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 20:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'll download tonight! No world cup to watch, so there is some time to play, as well...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 20, 2002, 00:38   #34
Marquis de Sodaq
King

King Marqnud is chosen to lead the vikings after the misfortunate mishap suffered by the great Rodent. He looks over his new realm and notices that a full 13% of viking citizens are busy doing Elvis impersonations, instead of productively collecting those pretty little orange arrows that can be found in the water and along the roads. Didn't we build these lovely gardens to prevent this sort of tomfoolery? he wonders. The King is not amused, and orders the construction of several temples after current orders are sssllllooooowwwly completed.

The steady stream of Spaniards continues to flow toward our city In Your Back. Marqnud craftily manouvers the brave viking soldiers. We lose a unit or two, but kill thrice that in spaniards, and bribe the new town of Malaga and 6 (!) bad guys for some coins found under the palace couch cushions. The spanish continue to send their finest youth to be disemboweled on our swords. They will offer peace, but Marqnud decides to let his successor choose that path.

Caravans aplenty are awaiting orders outside our bustling metropolis of Lutefisk. A fellow named Michaelangelo says he will paint some pretty ceilings if we'll build him a chapel. The final caravan needed is about to arrive in town, and several more are milling about. One wine caravan is on its way to Zimbabwe to see how much those fools will pay for watered down, bottom shelf chianti. It impressed a tribe we found on the way, and they have joined our kingdom.

King Marqnud takes a case of the finest top shelf reds and a few captive spanish lasses, and announces his retirement to the silk plantations near Lefse.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip kn_a660.zip (33.3 KB, 10 views)

intelligence to few.
Old June 20, 2002, 10:53   #35
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 21:36
OK, per Straybow in the Amnesia thread, it appears to be acceptable for one to just play a couple weeks, and this is the MGE game. So I'm in until my disappearing act on 04-07.

So if that's true, pencil me in for the next round. I'll d/l the saves at home tonight to get an idea of what's happening.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 20, 2002, 11:31   #36
Julius Brenzaida
King

Welcome aboard -Jrabbit. I propose you play after space05us, who should be playing now
Old June 20, 2002, 11:33   #37
Julius Brenzaida
King

It's never too late for compliments
Nice work and nice story Marquis
If the wine is half as good, then our coffer should fill as their cups will empty
Old June 20, 2002, 20:02   #38
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:36
Where the heck are our ships?!

[muttering]
ICS land-lubbers
[/muttering]
Old June 21, 2002, 04:01   #39
Julius Brenzaida
King

- Jrabbit, I propose that If Space05us has not given sign of life by saturday afternoon, you go ahead and play in front of him
Old June 21, 2002, 09:04   #40
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Fine by me. Let's define "today" at Midnight GMT, 6pm in my world.

I downloaded several files from this thread last night and opened a couple. (4000bc and 725bc) to have a look. Having never played on anything bigger than a Medium map, this should be interesting. Mity management must get totally outrageous by the endgame.

For the record, I strongly prefer zipped files, just for download speed.

A couple questions:

1. Is it correct that we play 10 game-turns per round?
2. In my experience, the "end" of a turn is a pretty amorphous thing. I make my last "scheduled" move with an active piece, then the game launches into AI moves. (This somethimes catches me by surprise.) Then the population update ( "...now xx million...") is posted. (I *think* this is the demarcation point for new turn.) Then it starts telling me what I've built etc. SO... at exactly what point do I stop and save?

Sorry to sound so thick, but I do want to be in alignment with your expected procedures. Enlighten me, o master of the succesion game.

I expect Space05us wi'll show up today, however. I'll keep an eye out for when he's done.

BTW, Julius, I see that you appear to have moved from Switzerland to Canada. Interesting...

Old June 21, 2002, 10:57   #41
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

There is a check box in the Game Options menu that says something like "always pause at end of turn" - you need to have this on

SG[1]
Old June 21, 2002, 11:07   #42
-Jrabbit
Deity

Amazing, the things you fail to notice.

My wife will be thrilled that I've learned how to save and quit in under 10 minutes.

Thanks, SG[1]

Old June 21, 2002, 11:28   #43
Julius Brenzaida
King

-Jrabbit, play as you feel. Usually we take 20 turns the 1st time and then less, because it takes more time.
10 turns looks perfectly accurate at this stage of the game

I am still living in Switzerland, near Geneva (you asked somewhere before and I failed to answer). The spell over Vancouver was a joke with Smash, as I was fighting him in a chess game in the fittingly named Apolyton / Other games forum
Old June 21, 2002, 11:36   #44
-Jrabbit
Deity

Alors!
Geneve! I'll be at the Montreux Jazz Festival July 5 - 10 with my wife and daughter. My company's a partner/sponsor of the MJF, so it's kind of a working vacation. PM me if you're interested in getting together at all.

J'aime beaucoup "travailler" comme ca!

Old June 21, 2002, 11:56   #45
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
My wife will be thrilled that I've learned how to save and quit in under 10 minutes.
Do not allow this information to leak!

Soon, other wives will become wise that it is technically possible to turn off civ in under 2 seconds. Think of the ill that would befall the world!

I played 15 turns, iirc. Ten seemed too soon this time around...

intelligence to few.
Old June 21, 2002, 12:01   #46
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

The 'norm' is to save when the "Press enter to end turn" message (that you have never seen before) is flashing. That way your successor can change all the build orders, tax rate etc before he launches into his turns proper.

Tese Succession Games can be seriously good fun - they can also become two hour/turn monsters - but they are always enjoyable

SG[1]
Old June 21, 2002, 14:38   #47
-Jrabbit
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
Do not allow this information to leak!

Soon, other wives will become wise that it is technically possible to turn off civ in under 2 seconds. Think of the ill that would befall the world!
The secret is safe with me, Marquis. We have too much to lose should this vital information fall into the wrong hands.
Besides, I know full well of the Sodaquista Retribution should I become compromised!!

Old June 21, 2002, 16:34   #48
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:36
I just found the thread to this and noticed MY name on the invite list!! Thanks, I would love to play a game, however i am ew at succession so you may have to smack my hand with a ruler.

Slot me in where you feel it appropriate Julius , my only hinderence is That i only have a connection during working hours so I may have to download one week night and upload the next weekday morning.
Old June 21, 2002, 16:38   #49
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

[QUOTE] Do not allow this information to leak!

Acctually I just started my wife on a homemade scenario and she is hooked, Here only complaint is having to goto sleep @ 2:00 am

LONG LIVE THE GREATEST GAME ON EARTH...........................CIVILIZATION 2 (MGE of course )
Old June 21, 2002, 16:51   #50
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:36
i don't have enough time to play just take me off the list, sorry
Old June 21, 2002, 18:07   #51
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:36
"I only have a connection during working hours"

I read this sentence but the words make no sense. First, you have to work? Second, this activity occurs during fixed hours? Third, no connection from home? Even the trailer courts have internet hookups these days.

Or do you live so far up the holler that the sun only shines in for 2 hours, the phone circuits haven't been updated since electrification, and you only get TV with a 6' satellite dish?

PS: this from a graduate of Oak Ridge HS…

Last edited by Straybow; June 26, 2002 at 01:24.
Old June 21, 2002, 18:16   #52
-Jrabbit
Deity

OK, so it looks like Space05us is out. Probably busy with his considerable duties at the Civ3 democracy Game.

I will D/L when I get home and go for it. Probably can't play until tomorrow due to usual Friday commitment to party at Ming's place.

Hope I don't screw it up too much.

Wish me luck...

Old June 21, 2002, 18:17   #53
Zedd
Prince

Acctually we just got the electricity thingy in TN so I do have Internet acess available, But a blown modem card is holding me back. Maybe we could use The "hollar" technique, but I don't know if i can get a tin can big enough to fit my laptop in.
Old June 21, 2002, 23:03   #54
Marquis de Sodaq
King

My sister (in Nashville) said half the city lost all power last week because a squirrel got caught in the wrong part of the power station TVA BBQ

intelligence to few.
Old June 23, 2002, 15:02   #55
-Jrabbit
Deity

-Jrabbit's First Succession Turns
The aged yet inexperienced King Jaakrabbit rose and drew himself shakily throneward, still mystified by the odd series of events that put him in his present position. He knelt before the High Priest and bowed his head to accept the crown and mantle of leadership. this done, he turned to his court.

"OK, it's 680 AD. Let's rock," he said.

Taking some time to survey the wide, wide world in which he now wielded power, it was noted that the new city of Malaga was severely threatened and under constant attack. Reinforcements were called forward, and troops were placed beyond the city proper to prevent direct attack until Malaga could grow a bit - at least to size 2. News came that the French had completed Copernicus' Observatory.

700 AD -- We Love the King Day declared in Knudsfoldur. Spaniards continue their assault, losing 4 units to our one. reinforcements from In Your Back will be needed. Crusaders coming by boat from Lefse as well.

720 AD -- Jaakrabbit notes choice of WoW. Having never heard of a society holding both early happiness Wonders, he decides to the intricate and beautiful Michaelangelo's Chapel, then converts several Temple construction projects to barracks. All Elvis impersonators at told to get real jobs. Caravel delivers crusaders to Malaga, cruises the bay to observe the massing of many chariots and catapults. Viking troops are told to gird their loins.

740 AD -- French discover Banking. Malaga loses a horse and chariot to marauding Spanish, but finally grows to size 2. City Walls built -- in a rush. Zulus discover Bridge Building -- French acquire it from their Great Library.

760 AD -- heartened by their new defenses, brave Malaga troops repel 2 catapults and a chariot. Wine caravan reaches Bapedi, adds 122 GP to Viking coffers. The new village of Jaak is founded.

780 AD -- Our wise men discover the science of Magnetism. King Jaak, desperate to make some progress toward SoL, hopes for Invention, but his stupid computer offers only Banking, Theology, and University. After some debate, Banking is selected. Residents of Kundavik respond enthusiastically, declaring the they Love The King! en route home after delivering wine caravan, brave trireme sinks in mid-ocean. A "magnetic disturbance" is blamed.

800 AD -- England gets Pottery, Romans get Banking. Spanish lose 2 more catapults.

820 AD -- Malaga gets long-promised barracks on a "rush" basis. Now we're ready to get down to business with these Spanish bastards! Spanish develop University. Viking diplomatic corps takes note.

840 AD -- King Jaakrabbit finally remembers that the ppl are still getting 20% luxuries. With HG and Mikes, decides to end the luxury program and invest in as much science as the law allows. WLTK Days are cancelled throughout the land. French gain Invention. We laugh at Spanish emissary and are punished with -- War! Caravans delivered -- Lutefisk to Lefse, wine, 25 gold. Hides, Lutefisk to Barcelona, 96 gold.

860 AD -- Mongols get Bridge building. spanish lose 3 more battle units, but kill a vet crusader in the process.

880 AD -- Kashgar builds City Walls. Plans for Mongol relations are considered. An emissary is accidentally sent to Rome, makes peace treaty, then asks tribute. We've insulted them for the last time. we're at war. Clever Viking diplomat steals University from gullible Spanish. Barbs are noted near Paris, Neapolis. None on Viking soil!!

900 AD -- Romans get Medicine. Program of caravan and Galleon production begins to bear fruit. Population reaches 2 Million.

920 AD -- Galleon takes Explorer north from Cremona to explore uncharted waters. Cannae is renamed "Bannae" to keep the island cities easy for the feeble Jaakrabbit to track. Galleon loads troops and settlers from home continent, heads east.

940 AD -- Spanish don't attack! Perhaps they're running out of troops... Mongol diplomat expelled near Kashgar.

960 AD -- English get Polytheism, French learn it from GL. Romans begin to build shakespeare's Theatre. Spanish go back on the attack, losing 2 more chariots. Reinforcements arrive in Malaga -- vet Crusaders! Still no sign of anyone building LTWA. Go for it, or wait for Invention? new technology is imminent....

the decisions are tough. the strain proves too much. Without warning, King Jaakrabbit keels over, dies unceremoniously.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip sailing 0960ad.zip (4.8 KB, 13 views)

Old June 23, 2002, 15:10   #56
-Jrabbit
Deity

A BIG world here... pretty challenging. Frankly, I felt like it was hard to make a dent in just a few turns. So I took 15.

I tried to get a better start on better water transport, continued th caravan policy, and started producing some diplomats.

Our next king will get to make key decisions on tech research and wonder-buying, and should have the tools needed to do some serious damage to the despotic, cheating Spanish.

This took a day longer than planned, and I felt like I got very little done...
Sorry for the wait, and have fun.

Old June 23, 2002, 17:49   #57
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 04:36
hey! I'm on summer holiday so I could play few turns too
Old June 24, 2002, 02:27   #58
Julius Brenzaida
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Andemagne
hey! I'm on summer holiday so I could play few turns too
Andemagne, as we are in the beginning of the second turn, I suggest that you play now : 10-15 turns
Old June 24, 2002, 02:41   #59
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 04:36
I slept over a night and came to different mind. (pardon my english)
I have summer holday and nothing to do, so why ruin that.
someone else can play. hope this is ok. happy civin'.

Last edited by Andemagne; June 24, 2002 at 03:07.
Old June 24, 2002, 08:04   #60
-Jrabbit
Deity

Go get 'em, Julius!