Old July 7, 2002, 14:16   #151
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fast and well. Sorry, just pisses me off to see "good" used as an adverb. Carry on.
Old July 7, 2002, 17:49   #152
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 02:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
The lineup
1) Marquis de Sodaq
2) Vlad
3) Scouse Gits (2)
4) Zedd [now playing]
5) Julius
6) Straybow
7) Scouse Gits [1]

On holiday : -Jrabbit
MIA : Space05us

Last edited by Julius Brenzaida; July 9, 2002 at 04:36.
Old July 7, 2002, 23:11   #153
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:37
Delayed response to the Git & Julius
Seeing SG[1]'s trade results I no longer feel bad about mine. I, too, was trading with large cities having long term arrow benefit in mind. Only 3 demanded trades 100g or over, and the fourth highest demanded trades (tie at 88g) were Cloth & Coal. Cloth!? I don't get it; maybe the map is screwed in more ways than just continent numbers.

I didn't go up to 60% testing luxuries. After all, you only add one arrow per tile so doubling isn't possible (even counting trade route effects). Just didn't think a net increase was possible.

SG[1] actually built a Library! *sniff, sniff* I always get emotional at times like this; you should see me at a University dedication. May your re-education be swift and painless, and your labors light.

Julius, you and me both are scrubbing floors for our errors. I recommended your punishment for discovering Rail and then not laying the first mile of track (and only seven Settlers around for improvements). I offered no excuse for getting carried away with the selling of Markets except my stupidity, nor any excuse for not catching your neglect of Rails immediately.

(By the way, I arranged for some really high quality Spanish import floor-scrubber kneepads to be kept in supply at the Sticky Mouse commisary.)

Last edited by Straybow; July 8, 2002 at 00:04.
Old July 7, 2002, 23:53   #154
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

%@*^$ php FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!!!
Aaargh! I've loaded p.6 literally dozens of times and Netscape 4 always stops before the end. I've hit reload so much Markos must think he's hit with a DoS attack.

MSIE easily loaded the whole page but any attempt to download a .zip attachment generated an error that said IE wanted to use ActiveX to open the attachment, but ActiveX couldn't figure out what to do and wanted to go to MS for an update. Damned tool of the devil!

Could someone please post the 1820 save on p.7?

Edit: nevermind, I tried about 20 more times and finally got it. Of course, then it locked up.

Last edited by Straybow; July 8, 2002 at 00:51.
Old July 8, 2002, 08:54   #155
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Don't worry too much about the railroads. Too many city workers were working tiles without roads, it seems building that network was just as important...

Onward, sailors!

For Straybow:
Attached Images:

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 8, 2002, 20:12   #156
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

On a humid afternoon in July 1820, Gittwoski entered the Presidium Offices overlooking Whale Square in the capital. He had visited the hallowed halls of Lutefisk Centre countless times before during a colourful naval career, which culminated with the conquest of Madrid. For this he was awarded the Star of East Lutefisk. Many had wondered why a poxy little suburb should be associated with such a prestigious award. Gittwoski knew why. It was the home of the well healed party apparatchiks, whose snouts quivered with excitement at the prospect of having their sordid little estate written large on a national medal; one which was cast in the molten blood of sailors. Such comfortable self-satisfied attitudes epitomised all that was rotten in the affairs of state.

As he climbed the wide staircase to the first floor conference suite, the portraits of a succession of predecessors glared down on him. He was sure he could hear Sodaq muttering "I did try to call it West Lutefisk…but Vlad changed it back!"

The mandarin from the vast Department F1 was his first visitor. He handed the new leader details of all 97 cities in the empire. The list was long and far too white. Hardly before he was able to count only 26 freights, the other departmental heads arrived. The reports piled up, the reading became worse, the silent audience fidgeted nervously. After closing the files Gittwoski summoned an aide and asked for refreshments.

"What would the First Secretary like to drink?"

"Anything will do provided it says vintage claret on the label…a case of the 1810 Chateau La Fayette will suffice."

An audible murmur of relief rippled around three sides of the highly polished conference table. Wine was probably a sign of satisfaction.

"Before you lot think it's party time, I only ordered one glass", Gittwoski snarled.

Fear returned to the faces as sweaty palm prints marked the shiny mahogany. "Are you enemy spies or just bumbling incompetents?" he barked. The first sip of rich relaxing red moderated Gittwoski's anger. "I was going to pack you all off to The Institute on the night ferry, but have decided that a four week course on Basic Empire Management at the Sticky Mouse Academy will be more appropriate."

Gittwoski stood up baton in hand and pointed menacingly at the City Status Chart. "We are building 26 Temples, mostly in tiny cities when we have the services of double martial law, Michaelangelo's Chapel, J. S. Bach's Cathedral and are running a luxury rate of 50%! One temple is being constructed in Veii, which just happens to be the home of Shakespeare's Theatre! Aqueducts are needed in cities for growth beyond eight. We are building two in cities of seven or less, yet not building one in Seville, size 8 - with the Colossus. Why do we ignore this powerful wonder? We cheerfully build Women's Suffrage as if we were some fat Republic…but we are Communists - at least some of us are, and that Wonder is cosmetic. Great to build if nothing else is on the agenda, but we are at WAR! I won't even ask about the Courthouse instructions for Borkehide, or the carefully irrigated buffalo just outside In Your Back's city limits! On the positive side I note a groaning transport heading for Lutefisk stuffed with freight from the former Roman continent. Many comrades will argue about the efficacy of building libraries to increase 10 beakers to 15 at a stage where the next advance costs 2160. My answer is freights and more freights. Consequently all temple, library and courthouse building will be axed as of now. The library in Git's Luck will be sold as it is only producing one beaker! MarketPlaces are excellent build orders, which provide extra luxuries, gold and aid celebrations. Talking of such matters I notice our esteemed capital is not in celebration. Under present conditions it will not even with luxuries at 80%. Until CfC comes along we must lose a head of population by producing an engineer. This will be done as soon as Sir Isaac Newton's College is opened tomorrow."

Gittwoski thwacked his stick across the flip charts as the military blueprints unfolded into view. His despair was mollified by a deep swig of the subtle nectar.

"Unless I am mistaken it has been the aim of my predecessors to conquer the English, French and Zulus. It may come as a shock to you to learn that we need fighting units sailing towards the target cities to achieve this goal. We have an excellent forward base west of England in city of Yodelayheehoo. We have 9 troops on this island and NO SHIP. The cavalry appear to be settling down for some kind of regimental picnic. Other troop deployments are equally interesting. On the large uninhabited island Northeast of Vigo there are four cavalry units in beautiful formation, presumably practising for some kind of Olympic dressage event! Perhaps you will be good enough to inform all Chiefs of Staff to get their men to the front or they will be at the front of the queue in The Institute's A-Wing"

Gittwoski picked up the case of wine and pushed it into the centre of the tense table. "Take a bottle each as you leave and consider what I have said when you drink it. This will be last reward you have from me for screwing up."

1822 - Combustion; Sir Isaac Newton's College Genetic Engineering next. Neapolis Coal to Lutefisk 290g. MarketPlaces/Banks built. 66 Freights now under construction. Huts: 2 x 50g. East Haven founded. Island Hopper founded as the first stage of chain of ferries with the old Roman continent. Taskforce A sets sail from the former Zulu main continent for France. Taskforce B collects troops bound for England. Both have some distance to travel.

1824 - Lutefisk builds engineers and celebrates again A whole clutch of freight has been retained until the capital was celebrating: 1103g from various freight Buffalo Point founded…why waste an irrigated beast? Barb King 150g North Hopper founded…the next stage of communications along the route to Rome; The English have a substantial fleet of Ironclads. Barb Frigate destroyed in the middle of nowhere.

1826 - Genetic Engineering Amphibious Warfare next; Automobile not offered Seville's wheat mined to silk; Middle Island founded on the hop to Rome; Navy bombards Norwich…5 units down how many more have they? 1066g in freights. Aqueduct in Seville (Colossus city). Heavy losses of upgraded non-vet Destroyers against English Ironclads

1828 - Amphibious Warfare; Cure for Cancer Roman Ferry and Mid Port founded to aid the shuttle of lucrative freights for Lutefisk. Huts Barbs/100g; naval patrol destroys 5 English units heading our way! Seville size 9; Many cities Xinning hard to bring Automobile in next turn. 669g in freights.

1830 - Automobile Key tech for Superhighways and a massive trade boost when they are built in some large cities Now researching Mass Production! Science now turned down to just 10%. Lutefisk builds Superhighways as does Seville, now size 10; Oxford captured 21g plunder; 1748g in freights.

1832 - Mass ProductionNow for the Rodent's choice - Fundamentalism Norwich captured 28g plundered; Hut - Musketeer; Seville size 11; Freights 2640g; Hut 100g; Swampy founded.

1834 - Fundamentalism Machine Tools next; Seville builds Sewer System - now size 12; Karakorum builds Superhighways; Huts - 2 x Tribes: Long Way Away & Zulu View; Musketeer; Antium-by-Sea founded & south Anchorage founded; 2473g in freights.

1836 - Machine Tools Mobile Warfare next; Huts - Barbs/100/50g; Trading between Lutefisk and Seville is now very profitable… undemanded silver to Seville 312g and 1092g for demanded oil to the capital ; 2649g from freights.

1838 - Mobile Warfare Now working on Miniaturisation; Lutefisk builds Mass Transit; English land near Oxford - their invasion is repulsed; Intombe captured (Zulu Capital) 54g plundered; 3712g from freights.

1840 - Miniaturisation Computers next; The last Zulu city of Mpondo sighted! Seville = 14; Lutefisk = 23;
Karakorum = 16; Hut - 100g; 2803 from trading.

1842 - Computers Now for Robotics! Lutefisk builds Offshore Platform;
Lyons bribed for 1034g (149 plunder)
Orleans Captured - Size 22 city, 364g plunder
Newcastle captured - 36g plundered
Nottingham bribed for 1298g - 54g plundered
Hastings bribed for 1848 - 48g plundered
Cloth to London 514g Wine to London 1212g Oil to Lutefisk 504g; Gems to Seville 342g.

Almost all cities celebrating at 30% luxuries, 60% Tax gives 2352 per turn less 163 upkeep costs.
Treasury: 11,951.
Robotics will come next turn

Note to the next player…there are about 50 freights stored in Lutefisk and the surrounding cities. Food freights in South Lutefisk, whilst the commodities Lutefisk usually demands are in East Lutefisk. The freight in view is Oil from Seville and if Lutefisk continues to demand the commodity it's worth about 1200g

--------------------

SG(2)
Attached Files:
File Type: sav kn_a1842.sav (466.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Scouse Gits; July 8, 2002 at 20:33.
Old July 9, 2002, 04:41   #157
Julius Brenzaida
King

Nice story and hell of a job SG (2)
Zedd is next
Old July 9, 2002, 10:13   #158
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Only four weeks in Sticky Mouse - temple in Shake's City takes some beating! Good turns SG(2)!!

SG[1]
Old July 9, 2002, 10:20   #159
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Good round, SG(2)! Poor Vlad...

intelligence to few.
Old July 9, 2002, 10:27   #160
Marquis de Sodaq
King

From the amnesic succession game, iirc
Quote:
Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida (to SG(2)) BTW, why do you hate yourself so much you still micromanage every city at every phase of the game
In the MGE sailing, we don't to do that anymore, building armies and rushbuilding in some strategic towns looks perfectly adequate to me
SG(2) is apparently not "we"!

(Gittwoski and council at a meeting)

intelligence to few.
Old July 9, 2002, 13:29   #161
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:37
Just visited and will DL and play to night, allthough SG2 now has me frightened

After that great play my meager abilities may only be rewarded by an extended stay at the northern cap!
Old July 9, 2002, 13:50   #162
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Zedd - Just carry on conquering and enjoy the game

A few vet howies will work like a charm in England's green pleasant land.

Good Luck!

----------------

SG(2)
Old July 9, 2002, 17:21   #163
Julius Brenzaida
King

Yes Zedd, just play as you please.
Personnaly, I wouldn't micromanage that much as SG(2)in a winning position
It's just a matter of fun ... fun ... fun
Old July 10, 2002, 10:41   #164
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Sorry guys, last night my PC was on the fritz and i didn't get to play. Its fixed now and i will play asap and get the DL posted
Old July 10, 2002, 16:25   #165
Zedd
Prince

Julius i will have to pass my turn to you. My PC is really messed up and it may take a while to get it working again.
My son was seen Dancing on the laptop as it was sitting in the floor (where my wife was plaing civ and left to get a glass of water ) 2 year olds should never be allowed to play civ Any way after i figure out what buttons he pushed to mess things up maybe i can play again, but something tells me that this game will be nearing an end.

Last edited by Zedd; July 10, 2002 at 18:02.
Old July 11, 2002, 07:10   #166
Straybow
Emperor

Ahhh, the joys of toddler-proofing… the agony of not toddler-proofing for that one moment.

[toddler:] Mommy was playing with her shiny toy, I want to play, too!

Hmmm, I was going to say something about the four battalions of Dragoons I had dropped off on that little continent when hunting for (and finding) Avila to eliminate Spain. Thought I'd leave it to whoever noticed the neglect.
Old July 11, 2002, 09:58   #167
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
Hmmm, I was going to say something about the four battalions of Dragoons I had dropped off on that little continent when hunting for (and finding) Avila to eliminate Spain. Thought I'd leave it to whoever noticed the neglect.
They were cavalry when my turn came. I thought they'd been dropped off to find Zulu or any other strays. So I had them scour the island - apparently for the second (or more?) time!

intelligence to few.
Old July 11, 2002, 15:34   #168
Julius Brenzaida
King

Zedd, I am currently playing 2 other games where it is my turn, just finished a 3rd. So we can wait a few more days. I propose that if you can't play by sunday morning I shall take your place and of course put you back in the lineup.
Old July 11, 2002, 15:37   #169
Julius Brenzaida
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

They were cavalry when my turn came. I thought they'd been dropped off to find Zulu or any other strays. So I had them scour the island - apparently for the second (or more?) time!
Finding the AI cities will be the main difficulty. I wonder if we won't have to wait for Apollo.
Old July 11, 2002, 20:36   #170
Straybow
Emperor

[Marquis:] "I thought they'd been dropped off to find Zulu or any other strays. So I had them scour the island - apparently for the second (or more?) time!"

Well, we'll just blame SG[1] since he followed me

[Julius:] "Finding the AI cities will be the main difficulty. I wonder if we won't have to wait for Apollo."

Na, Mpondo is found, there are at least 2 English cities on the same continent. That leaves only 4 English cities left to discover. I bet they aren't as far afield as Intombe and Mpondo.
Old July 12, 2002, 02:45   #171
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Well, we'll just blame SG[1] since he followed me
The affrontery!!
I had this slight problem with transports containing both bad guys and freights ... as it is not possible to send them in both directions at once a rationalisation was required. Once that had been achieved, together with some key ferry routes I did indeed send a transport North to rescue the gallant Light Brigade - it apparently never arrived

SG[1]
Old July 12, 2002, 09:31   #172
Zedd
Prince

Thanks julius. the Lptop is fixed and I will try to play tonight.
Old July 12, 2002, 10:41   #173
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Just what had the little bundle of fun done to your poor Worshipful Allied Laptop?

SG[1]
Old July 13, 2002, 22:03   #174
Straybow
Emperor

SG[1], the idea was to deliver the freights to the Roman cities that demanded them, then use the Dragoons. Does this take a PhD to figger out?
Old July 13, 2002, 23:09   #175
Marquis de Sodaq
King

A lot may have changed, Straybow - during my turn I delivered a heap of freights and made a new heap, including in old Roman cities... Not sure what Vlad did with them all, but I assume they were loaded into cargo bays and set to sea.

intelligence to few.
Old July 14, 2002, 05:50   #176
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
SG[1], the idea was to deliver the freights to the Roman cities that demanded them, then use the Dragoons. Does this take a PhD to figger out?
Got one of those, Stray, many years ago.
The Transports I had in mind were (a) virtually in home waters, and (b) half and half - I can understand one or two camels to entertain the troops, but four!
Had there been any prospect of them being delivered this millenium I might have gone with it, but as it was ...

SG[1]
Old July 15, 2002, 09:02   #177
Straybow
Emperor

Well, that's what I did on my round. I only had one or two camels on each ship and wished I had more. There was plenty of time to deliver them to the big Roman cities and then make five of them ex-Roman cities.

Believe me, there were excellent trade targets along the way for all those camels, and there were Dragoons waiting to be picked up for delivery to the front lines. I said "Roman" but there were also the Mongol remnants to be fleeced before being plundered.

I did explain the "continent number" problem, and one transport had camels only from #63 continents, the other had camels from our Spanish cities. I just wasn't about to list every trade target I had in mind…
Old July 15, 2002, 13:35   #178
Zedd
Prince

here is the save game.

Vikings take london. Howitzers buit!

Vikings conquer York. Caravans arrive for About $1300

$1200. Caventry Captured.

Flight discovered, colossus cancelled.

$1100 Gold from caravans.

$1300 gold. Canterberry taken. Warwick captured.
Zulus discover monothesim
English cities discovered.

Birmingham and liverpool captured.

Zulu civilization destroyed by Vikings
Dover captured. $900 in caravans.

troop movement. $1000 gold

$900. Are belongtous destroyed by Barbs!!!

Brighton and Reading captured

Leeds taken by Vikings.
French civilization destroyed by Vikings.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav kn_a1860.sav (466.7 KB, 5 views)
Old July 15, 2002, 13:41   #179
Zedd
Prince

There is a ton of frieght arround our capitol that i didn't do anything with. I didn't do much (if any ) micromanaging.....Just invading.
There is one english city left North of Brighton in the dark area. I had established the city of "Passthru" on a large island and chained our ships so that troop movement was easy. however barbs destroyed it.

I think it fitting that julius finish this game, with one city left we could max out score with democracy and loads of science and luxuries or just kill the english and get it over with. I leave that to the creator of this succession game. It has been a pleasure playing and learning from you all.
Old July 15, 2002, 13:44   #180
Zedd
Prince

For those of you wondering all my son managed to do was switch the video output option on the laptop to "monitor" All i had to do was fuigure that out (which took an hour ) and then reset my display settings. He also created three new folders on my desktop and mannaged to make a shortcut to the a: drive named jjjadposjjj